Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Georgia HomeBrew Forum > Newbie in Newnan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 03:14 AM   #11
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher79 View Post
Ahhh, cool deal. I'll have to do that next time, and thanks for the help. I'm brewing his Autmn Cherries Stout tomorrow, and cracking open my first Fairytale Ale tomorrow as well. Unfortunately, I joined the Taco Mac Passport (Brewniversity, aka money pit) club several years ago and have found it hard to stick to one style, so I am brewing as many different styles to see the grains/malts used. However, I was going to brew the IPA again soon, and I'll use your advice.

I just recently started using spring water in my batches instead of city water, and I'm curious to see the difference, if any, it makes.
I don't use the city water. However, it's not bad water. I brew outside, and the taste from the hose is nasty. I'm not going to fill water from inside to use outside. I go to the publix and fill my 5g water jugs for $1.50 and call it a day. I can adjust the water to the style I'm brewing from there. Beers taste better for it too

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #12
Topher79
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I brew outside as well (got a turkey fryer from home depot), and only use the hose for cleaning out my carboys. I hope the spring water is worth it...after doing some research I found that the Publix brand spring water is actually from a spring here in GA.

http://www.publix.com/wellness/food/...ttled-Water.do

At 0.65 cents per gallon, you can't beat it. I'm hoping to see a difference in the beers. Did you always use bottled water? Here's a pic of the cherry porter I brewed today. I am adding the cherries Wednesday/Thursday and looking forward to cracking one open in 6/7 weeks. Any suggestions on what to brew next? So far I've done the Blondie, Sassafras IPA, Pumpkin, Fairytale Ale, ESB, and Autmn Cherries.

image.jpg  

I like beer because it's good, I drink beer because I should...

Old 10-14-2012, 02:19 AM   #13
Topher79
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Another photo of the cherry porter...

image.jpg  

Old 10-14-2012, 02:20 AM   #14
FATC1TY
Recipes 

I have always used spring water. I used the 1 gal jugs of Publix spring water for every brew, up until I moved to all grain. Then I started filling my 5 gal jugs at the Glacier machine in the publix. $1.50 for 5 gals of RO, filtered water, and it taste good too. Had great luck with it so far.

I'm brewing a 1.105 Oatmeal Coffee Stout tomorrow! Pretty excited about it.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 10-14-2012, 02:22 AM   #15
FATC1TY
Recipes 

If you want a good brew, and I think he has an extract recipe for it as well.. The Oatmeal Porter he has is excellent.. Very good beer!

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 10-14-2012, 02:32 AM   #16
Topher79
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Woah! I would be excited about that, too. @ 1.105 that's going to be a great cold weather brew, or if you're like me...a great sipping brew for any occasion!! I finished at 1.070 with the cherry stout.

I was wondering about the RO water. I've heard good and bad about it on this site. Some people claim you need the minerals and some don't. So I erred to the side of minerals. Btw, let me know how your coffee stout turns out. Are you going to cellar any? I've been cellaring commercial beers for years, and love the changes that happen over time. That's part of the reason I wanted to brew a high ABV stout.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:05 AM   #17
Topher79
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'll definitely look that one up....I'm a huge fan of stouts/porters, so it's right up my alley!

Old 10-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #18
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher79 View Post
Woah! I would be excited about that, too. @ 1.105 that's going to be a great cold weather brew, or if you're like me...a great sipping brew for any occasion!! I finished at 1.070 with the cherry stout.

I was wondering about the RO water. I've heard good and bad about it on this site. Some people claim you need the minerals and some don't. So I erred to the side of minerals. Btw, let me know how your coffee stout turns out. Are you going to cellar any? I've been cellaring commercial beers for years, and love the changes that happen over time. That's part of the reason I wanted to brew a high ABV stout.
Yeah, it's the biggest I've brewed by far, in terms of starting gravity. Biggest all grain for sure. It'll be a "whenever" beer, but will be nice around Christmas maybe, and into the new year. I think our winter will be MUCH colder than last year so this will be nice to sip on and warm up with perhaps!

The RO is good to start with a blank slate. I'll add baking soda, or gypsum and get the water where I think it should be. I've also brewed with it straight and it's fine in the darker beers, I think. My IPA's I add gypsum to the water to make the hops really shine through.

I plan to cellar some as well. I have plenty of commercial beers I've been sitting on, some I can't wait and I drink and others I have enough and forget about it.

Check out the porter recipe Doug has though. I think it's his main porter recipe, has oatmeal in it.. It's a partial mash type of recipe, but really easy to do in extract. Runs around 6% I think, maybe 6.5%. Smooth beer for sure, and it one of his better ones IMO.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 10-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #19
Topher79
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I hear ya, on the colder winter. It would be a great change from last year...I was in t-shirt taking down Christmas lights last year! Even though I don't have any high ABV brews to get me through the colder weather, I've got a few in the cellar to break out, lol. And I'll have to get some brewed this year to tuck away!

Thanks for the tips on the water, and I hear ya on the cellared beers. Sometimes it's hard to wait them out, and it was even harder before the passed the law for Sunday sales! Too many times I've been low on beer, and tempted to break into the cellar on a Sunday, but no more! Lol.

I'll definitely check out the porter recipe, and see what it's all about. It sounds like a good fire pit beer!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #20
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Oh yeah, if the alcohol was higher, it would be a killer fire pit beer.. I enjoy chuggin one down after work when I get home. Hit the keggerator up and pull pint.

He doesn't really have any "huge" beers. Biggest I think is like 9% for a big porter, and I think like mid 7% for an IPA that has won awards. I'm tempted to take that grain bill next time I brew an IPA and bastardize it a bit..

However, I have a pretty basic IPA grain recipe I made up pretty much and it's unreal good. Best to date, and my buddies rave over it.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS