Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > South Carolina HomeBrew Forum > Home brewers in Sumter??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
CarolinaBrew12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Home brewers in Sumter??

Anyone on here that home brew in Sumter?
Just finish my first extract home brew- nut brown ale from Bet-Mar. Turned out pretty good.
I would like to have some local experience to bounce some ideas off of.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
catdaddy66
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBrew12
Anyone on here that home brew in Sumter?
Just finish my first extract home brew- nut brown ale from Bet-Mar. Turned out pretty good.
I would like to have some local experience to bounce some ideas off of.
I live in Lugoff but worked in Sumter for 10 of the last 20 years!

Nut brown is a great first brew I think. I started brewing with kits and ingredients from Bet Mar. I didn't know it was still open cause I had heard after it was sold a few years back that service and product went downhill.

Feel free to pm me for info, suggestions, etc. welcome to the world of homebrewing!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
CarolinaBrew12
Recipes 

Bet-Mar is still open and I think they have a great selection of kits and equipment. Of course I have nothing to compare them to.
I have a pale ale next that I'm going to brew this week as the 40 bottles of nut brown are almost gone.

Where do you work? I have lived here since 94.

Where do you get your brewing items?

Do you ever go to the meetings in Columbia? How are they?

Thanks for the post.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
catdaddy66
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBrew12
Bet-Mar is still open and I think they have a great selection of kits and equipment. Of course I have nothing to compare them to.
I have a pale ale next that I'm going to brew this week as the 40 bottles of nut brown are almost gone.

Where do you work? I have lived here since 94.

Where do you get your brewing items?

Do you ever go to the meetings in Columbia? How are they?

Thanks for the post.
I have worked for Progressive Physical Therapy since 2006. They are located in the back of the Dr's Care building next IHOP on Broad St. Now the company has me working in Columbia since last July.

I usually order supplies online from Northern Brewer but their shipping is high. AustinHomebrew has cheaper shipping, and a site called Morebeer.com has free shipping over $60!

I haven't gone to any meetings but wouldn't be opposed to it if it was convenient enough.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #5
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I live in Columbia but I am stationed at Shaw... But I am in TX for the next two weeks... Talking about Bet Mar... My last few experiences there were quite painful. The woman that works there has quite a bit of beer knowledge, and her customer service is great... But the male employee there (husband? I dunno, dont think so, could be wrong though) is not well versed AT ALL with beer items. I sent my wife there for some breiss two row (she is somewhat brew literate), and the guy tried to sell her a pound of victory tellin her it was the same thing. I had to tell her to specifically ask for the stuff from the sacks in the back. There are a couple other times I went there and had some difficulty getting information about products. Essentially make sure you know exactly what you are looking for and only ask for help with a purchase decision if the woman is working. Their items are kinda expensive too. I am all about supporting local but its hard to eat the price when you get steered in the wrong direction with purchases. One more thing... Make sure if you are having them mill your grains, definitely tell them to mill em separately if you want it!!! Miscommunication, but still. But the Monster Mill 3 they are using nowadays works great though.

On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Old 03-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
catdaddy66
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer
I live in Columbia but I am stationed at Shaw... But I am in TX for the next two weeks... Talking about Bet Mar... My last few experiences there were quite painful. The woman that works there has quite a bit of beer knowledge, and her customer service is great... But the male employee there (husband? I dunno, dont think so, could be wrong though) is not well versed AT ALL with beer items. I sent my wife there for some breiss two row (she is somewhat brew literate), and the guy tried to sell her a pound of victory tellin her it was the same thing. I had to tell her to specifically ask for the stuff from the sacks in the back. There are a couple other times I went there and had some difficulty getting information about products. Essentially make sure you know exactly what you are looking for and only ask for help with a purchase decision if the woman is working. Their items are kinda expensive too. I am all about supporting local but its hard to eat the price when you get steered in the wrong direction with purchases. One more thing... Make sure if you are having them mill your grains, definitely tell them to mill em separately if you want it!!! Miscommunication, but still. But the Monster Mill 3 they are using nowadays works great though.
Yeah, the guy seemed a bit oblivious IMO. I also checked out their website and they were VERY expensive on all products, and very limited in selection as well. I would have to be in a bind to shop there.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
rustym
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I live in Rock Hill but work in Columbia. Bet-Mar is verrry expensive! I 'm fortunate to have Alternative Beverages in Charlotte that I go to. They are awesome and really take care of you. You guys are right about the guy there. I've asked him some questions before and didn't get a very good answer. I won't shop there unless they have something I absolutely need. Some times they do have hops that nobody else has. I needed some Simcoe once and they were the only place that had any.

Have you guys tried Keg Cowboy in Lexington? They have a great store and even have a bar! Great selection of craft beer! They sell growlers to go as well. These guys know their beer and have a great selection of supplie and a decent price.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
catdaddy66
Recipes 

Never heard of 'Keg Cowboy' before. I may drive an extra 20 minutes if they're really good. Thanks!

Old 03-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I believe its the same Keg Cowboy that has a few threads in the Vendor Showcase subforum.

On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Old 03-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
catdaddy66
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
I believe its the same Keg Cowboy that has a few threads in the Vendor Showcase subforum.
I looked at their website and will definitely make a trip over there soon. I was hoping they had some used keggles for sale but the site was empty. Do you know if the base sells old or retired 15 gal kegs? Just asking...

Quick Reply