Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > South Carolina HomeBrew Forum > Charleston Homebrewing Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #31
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Holy city changed it a bit and you have to email ahead with your order. Its nice that they carry some grains and hops but my last 3 batches I wouldn't have been able to brew if I bought solely from them. I need to check out brew masters warehouse. I've been ordering from alternative beverage up in Charlotte or Austin home brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #32
PistolsAtDawn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 129

One thing that Holy City is great for when it comes to ingredients is that they will sell you a full 55 lb sack of Weyermann malt for a good price. I think I got a sack of pale 2-row malt for $50.

I would like to see more grain selection too, but it's nice that they have something since before Charleston had nothing.

Bottles in Mt. Pleasant also apparently sells some homebrew supplies, but I've never been inside their building and they don't list what they have on their website, so I haven't a clue as to what selection they offer.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #33
MotorcycleMatt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolsAtDawn View Post
One thing that Holy City is great for when it comes to ingredients is that they will sell you a full 55 lb sack of Weyermann malt for a good price. I think I got a sack of pale 2-row malt for $50.

I would like to see more grain selection too, but it's nice that they have something since before Charleston had nothing.

Bottles in Mt. Pleasant also apparently sells some homebrew supplies, but I've never been inside their building and they don't list what they have on their website, so I haven't a clue as to what selection they offer.
Not a bad price, ill probably buy a 55 lb bag from them. Anyone else in the low country entering the ironbrewer competition? Ill be at mellow this evening for the ingredient reveal

Old 05-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #34
PistolsAtDawn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleMatt View Post
Not a bad price, ill probably buy a 55 lb bag from them. Anyone else in the low country entering the ironbrewer competition? Ill be at mellow this evening for the ingredient reveal
I for one will not be entering this year. I did enter last year's competition, but for various reasons, I did not submit either of the batches I made. The organization for last year's competition was sloppy, with lots of contradicting information and last-minute changes. Then, the judging wasn't along the guidelines of the BJCP, so it was basically just a popularity contest.

I guess that's okay if the brewers who enter it are fine with that, but I don't believe they made that part clear last year. I personally want hard guidelines of some sort to know how they're judging the beer.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #35
MotorcycleMatt
Recipes 

Quote:

I for one will not be entering this year. I did enter last year's competition, but for various reasons, I did not submit either of the batches I made. The organization for last year's competition was sloppy, with lots of contradicting information and last-minute changes. Then, the judging wasn't along the guidelines of the BJCP, so it was basically just a popularity contest.

I guess that's okay if the brewers who enter it are fine with that, but I don't believe they made that part clear last year. I personally want hard guidelines of some sort to know how they're judging the beer.
Yea, the ingredients are corriander seeds, basil, lavender and rosemary. I understand the popularity judging, since there arnt desperate categories for different beers.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #36
PistolsAtDawn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleMatt View Post
Yea, the ingredients are corriander seeds, basil, lavender and rosemary. I understand the popularity judging, since there arnt desperate categories for different beers.
I guess with those ingredients, they'd all wind up being in the specialty beer categories anyway. Do you have to use all of those in the beer?

Old 05-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #37
MotorcycleMatt
Recipes 

Quote:

I guess with those ingredients, they'd all wind up being in the specialty beer categories anyway. Do you have to use all of those in the beer?
No, any combo you want.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #38
jmp781
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just ordered ingredients last night for the Iron Brew. I hope it turns out better this year than last.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #39
alliloop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp781 View Post
I just ordered ingredients last night for the Iron Brew. I hope it turns out better this year than last.
Whatcha makin'? We didn't get the 411 soon enough to register. Sigh.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #40
MotorcycleMatt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp781 View Post
Yea I'm going to get mine brewed this upcoming weekend.

Quick Reply