Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > North Carolina HomeBrew Forum > GRABASS (Raleigh) Willamette (Dang)it 1/22/11

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 AM   #11
Kirbster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Even if you dont brew someone will probably need a hand at some point so you will be able to participate if eating good food and drinking homebrew isnt participation enough for ya.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I encourage anyone who is on the fence to come, even if you've never come before. Lots of fun and lots of beer so don't worry if you don't have anything to bring on hand. No dress code, no formalities, no set time to get there and leave... Just a good time had by all!

Old 01-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
coastwx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

New to this and curious about the logistics. Probably won't be able to make it this time, but am interested in the future. Does everyone just bring their brewing equipment and set up in your driveway and brew down? How does that work with chilling water, starters, etc. It seems like you'd need to be really well prepared in terms of making sure you don't forget anything. Do you all crush your grains before hand? Also, I like to enjoy homebrews the last half of my brewday and would not want to risk driving home. Do people stay overnight or at least for a while to sober up? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks! Sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to share knowledge. Only brewing for a little more than a year, I can see how this get together would be great for learning.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #14
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastwx View Post
New to this and curious about the logistics. Probably won't be able to make it this time, but am interested in the future. Does everyone just bring their brewing equipment and set up in your driveway and brew down? How does that work with chilling water, starters, etc. It seems like you'd need to be really well prepared in terms of making sure you don't forget anything. Do you all crush your grains before hand? Also, I like to enjoy homebrews the last half of my brewday and would not want to risk driving home. Do people stay overnight or at least for a while to sober up? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks! Sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to share knowledge. Only brewing for a little more than a year, I can see how this get together would be great for learning.
The last time I was there and we had a few folks, there were a couple in the driveway and a couple in the garage. He has a pretty big area to brew outside so it shouldn't be a problem.

Everyone usually brings their own equipment simply because they are used to it. This time, a few folks are borrowing other people's equipment because either they don't have their own or don't want to bring their own. It is quite a bit.

Currently, water out of the tap is pretty cold but it tends to get recirculated through a few bags of ice and some water to help Dal not have a muddy yard.

If you want to pitch there, you can bring a starter / packet of yeast. If not, it should be fine until you get home. I tend to bring up an airlock and pitch at home but I may not this round.

We will have a couple of mills on hand to crush grain. If you wanted to crush it and bring it, no problems there.

Dal has said that if you want to stay the night, you're welcome to do so. I like to drink a little more the first half of when I'm there and sober up before I leave. Or I just go easy the entire time. It really is a matter of you being responsible for your own actions and no one is going to stop you from drinking if you want. We won't let you need a place to crash and not have one, though.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #15
coastwx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the information!

Sounds great; I'll make sure to join next time. I'm brewing on Sat, but plan to do 20 gal which takes me 8-9 hours; probably a little to much to do away from home. I may reserve a 5 gal IIPA like a Hopslam clone for the next GRABASS.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #16
idahoDal
Recipes 

One guy that's coming is doing 20 possibly 30 gallons. Why does volume have any bearing on you coming or not? I'm starting around 8am and will pass out whenever I get around to it. The length of the brew day is really irrelevant.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #17
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoDal View Post
The length of the brew day is really irrelevant.
Insert comical put-down here.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #18
coastwx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoDal View Post
One guy that's coming is doing 20 possibly 30 gallons. Why does volume have any bearing on you coming or not? I'm starting around 8am and will pass out whenever I get around to it. The length of the brew day is really irrelevant.
Yeah, when I replace my old Suburban this spring with another SUV or truck it would be doable, but don't think my Toyota will hold two burners, tanks, 20 and 10 gal brewpots, buckets, 2 IceCube coolers (1 mash tun), 4 glass carboys, BrewStuffTub, etc.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #19
Hannable1975
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Hey folks - I'm Hannable. Nice to meet ya!

Walker hit me up in a PM after seeing me post in the group buy thread ( dang I still hate I missed that thing ) and pointed me towards your shenanigans. I have really been wanting to meet some brewers, and intend t come. I'mma bring 2 fryers, 2 71/2 pots, and a 5 gal pot, my mash paddle and such.

I have an idea for the Williamette challenge, if I may be included. If hops are spoken for though thats cool - don't wanna step on toes.

Question of logistics though - for me, its a bit of a ride. If I bring a corney, couldn't I just put my wort in it, hit with some gas to give a good seal, and let it ride home in that and pitch later, and not risk sloshin a bucket around in the back of my truck?

Anyways - so long as work does not stop me, I really look forward to meeting you guys.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #20
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannable1975 View Post
Question of logistics though - for me, its a bit of a ride. If I bring a corney, couldn't I just put my wort in it, hit with some gas to give a good seal, and let it ride home in that and pitch later, and not risk sloshin a bucket around in the back of my truck?
Sounds like a fine plan to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannable1975 View Post
Anyways - so long as work does not stop me, I really look forward to meeting you guys.
Two side comments.

1) We have an email alias for raleigh area brewers that I can add you to if you want. That way you won't miss any future group buys or brewing events. Just PM me you email address if you are interested.

2) I'm going to assume from your avatar that you play the accordian. I'm pestering other folks coming to this thing to see if anyone might want to attempt to jam a little.

Quick Reply