New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > thoughts...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #41
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Problem is WE can't sell it... Unless we get the correct licenses, we cannot sell what we brew. If we brew it for YOU, the business, as "consultants" then the brew is yours to do with as you wish. Since you'll have the brewery license and such...

If you just wanted to have a place where a bunch of home brewers can gather, brew up some batches, then take it home to ferment, that could work. But once you start talking about us selling what we brewed, you're getting into legal areas where you are better off being 100% sure it's legal... As it stands, with your model (as outlined) I can't see it being legal to do.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #42
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvtpublic View Post
I have an entire plan for this, but I can't reveal too much in case someone else wants to take this idea from me.
If it is toasted pumpkin seeds, someone already did it though.

Anyway, Green Dragon in PDX beat you to the punch on this by a few years.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:19 AM   #43
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3041 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Great, a future home brewer episode on COPs.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:31 AM   #44
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
If it is toasted pumpkin seeds, someone already did it though.
nice!

back to the op's idea. they have licenses to where you could have other people brewing in your building. like your providing them access to equipment. but unless they were employed there i don't think you could sell their beers. even then you'd have to go through the process of labeling. all the labels have to be approved by some authority (i did some research a little while back, can't remember exacts). so you'd have to go through that process for every different beer. not trying to poke a bunch of holes in your idea, just giving you something to think about. anything is possible, but your gonna have to work really hard to do something like what your trying to do. and even with the hard work your going to have to make some compromises to your original idea. i've always loved beer, and the idea of a micro brewery, or brew pub has always appealed to me. but i did some reading and its a LOT more involved than i had imagined. but people do it. i haven't given up, but my two year goal now seems more like ten year goal (hopefully). have you had any experience working with alcohol? brewery? distribution? these would be good places to start. i don't know what your job is now or how much you like it, but my short term goal is to quit my current job and seek employment somewhere that is in someway involved in my ultimate goal. so i suggest you (if you can or want to) try to get involved in the buisness side of beer with a company first (while continuing to read and study about beer), then later try to get this started up.

keep with it, be flexible, it might work out for you some day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:33 AM   #45
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Without actually reading up on the rules, I would bet that the feds have a very specific set of requirements to define just what is necessary to make something NOT "Homebrew", but instead "Microbrewed". Things like ingredients location, brewing process, pitching yeast, fermentation tanks, etc.

But what you describe sounds an awful lot like a "brew on premises" business. Saugatuck Brewing near Holland, MI brews their own beer and allows you to brew your own on their premises. I do not know if they are allowed to sell your beer on site, even though it was brewed there by you.

I'm all for the concept, I just doubt that it would be deemed legal by the authorities. And I wonder if it would be worth it for the patrons since the cost of having someone brew small batches might exceed what decent beer is worth. Especially when you consider that there are a LOT of eager homebrewers and only some of those many are really capable of putting out a superior product (by superior I mean worth the price to buy it).

How would you deal with Quality Control? If I were a patron, I think it would feel a lot like playing Russian Roulette with beer and money. There would be a serious lack of consistency if everyone and their brother got to brew the beer there.

But don't let me get you down. I think it sounds fun to do it once in a while if it were possible. Just pointing out some things you might not have thought of. I'm sure there's lots more.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:34 AM   #46
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycov View Post
nice!

back to the op's idea. they have licenses to where you could have other people brewing in your building. like your providing them access to equipment. but unless they were employed there i don't think you could sell their beers. even then you'd have to go through the process of labeling. all the labels have to be approved by some authority (i did some research a little while back, can't remember exacts). so you'd have to go through that process for every different beer. not trying to poke a bunch of holes in your idea, just giving you something to think about. anything is possible, but your gonna have to work really hard to do something like what your trying to do. and even with the hard work your going to have to make some compromises to your original idea. i've always loved beer, and the idea of a micro brewery, or brew pub has always appealed to me. but i did some reading and its a LOT more involved than i had imagined. but people do it. i haven't given up, but my two year goal now seems more like ten year goal (hopefully). have you had any experience working with alcohol? brewery? distribution? these would be good places to start. i don't know what your job is now or how much you like it, but my short term goal is to quit my current job and seek employment somewhere that is in someway involved in my ultimate goal. so i suggest you (if you can or want to) try to get involved in the buisness side of beer with a company first (while continuing to read and study about beer), then later try to get this started up.

keep with it, be flexible, it might work out for you some day!
Well, if it were to be sold sans packaging (ie, from a tap) then bottling and labeling would not apply. But yeah, if you sold in growlers or bottles, then you would have that whole thing to deal with.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #47
rycov
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Well, if it were to be sold sans packaging (ie, from a tap) then bottling and labeling would not apply. But yeah, if you sold in growlers or bottles, then you would have that whole thing to deal with.
the kegs would have to be labeled if you sold them off site. not sure about selling them on site. but there are lots of rules about selling on site too. (the whole three tier thing) unless you were some sort of a brew pub, but then you'd have to sell food too. damn. if we all keep talking we might figure out a way for this guy to do this thing! cheers everybody
Quote:

Old 03-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #48
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 832 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

This is completely illegal, enough said.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #49
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvtpublic View Post
I want the brewers to come in, brew their stuff and sell it. I won't be the only one brewing. It'll be entirely based on the small, handcrafted batches, and nothing bigger. Its not homebrew by definition, but by feel is the goal. I would like to expand to get as many people involved at a time as possible.
Are you suggesting that you are going to open up a microbrewery and then have a series of brewers (i.e. homebrewers) rotate through, using your equipment, ingredients, etc to brew their recipes that you would then package and sell to the public?

My Beer Cellar

Old 03-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #50
rycov
Recipes 

thats why i was saying he would have to be flexible in his goals. yes. he doesn't have it all worked out. but if we can help point out whats wrong and possible solutions, then he'll have more ideas for when he does actually go to an attorney. if its what you really want to do then don't let any one stop you. be persistent! make it happen!

Quote:

Quick Reply