New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Recipe & Discussion, Orfy's Mild "mini-comp" for 2011 HBT competition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #81
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 127 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Well, I'm going to 'attempt' to brew this bad Larry today. I say attempt cause that's exactly what it will be. Despite Yoops guess, I'm not dead, but I am in a cast and on crutches after a little 'whoops' last week. So far this morning I've successfully managed to make it across the kitchen with a glass of iced tea by pushing the glass ahead of me on the counter until I came to the kitchen table, then from there to another counter, to a buffet, to a chair, to the computer desk. Unfortunately I had pretty much finished up the iced tea by the time I reached the computer desk (crutches are a surprising amount of work) and now I need more. I'm dying of thirst. The bathroom is upstairs and stairs are a real adventure so I definately haven't been hydrating as well as you guys. I decided today that "Screw it, I'm hanging it over back door railing and hoping no-one drives by."

So here goes. I have to do it as an extract batch, there is no way I could manage an all grain batch right now. For starters I would need to shovel a path from the cellar to the driveway through three feet of snow and that ain't happening.

PTN

Alcohol!

Because no-one ever started a great story with, "I was just finishing a lovely salad when..."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #82
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

wow... no one ragged on me for letting hot sweet wort sit around in the boil kettle on a stove for a day-- just begging for various infections !-- or no way it is gonna clear up because you need that cold break!

I'm really shocked guys! I thought you were better than that

Quote:
Originally Posted by midfielder5 View Post
I "no chill" so that will be an interesting variable.

Last edited by midfielder5; 01-25-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: no cube

Old 01-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #83
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 362

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/No_Chill_Method

Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #84
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

My materials just came in from BMW. This weekend is brew day-- w00t w00t

Old 01-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #85
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I am brewing up another 10 gallons of this to have on hand, easily one of my favorites.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 01-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #86
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

6 days in and my gravity is down to 1.014. Most of the krausen has fallen but there are still those little balls of yeast dotting the surface. I think it will drop at least another point if not two before it's done. Taste was... well it definitely needs more time. Still very yeasty with that tartness I always get from Nottingham. Nice roasty flavors playing around with the caramel malt coming through just a touch in the background. Very green (as can be expected for a 6 day old beer!), but all the talk in the recipe thread about how quickly people were drinking it had me optimistic. I think it will definitely be good once it's got a little more time on it, but definitely not something I want to dip a pint glass into right now like some people seemed to do.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #87
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 362

well i feel a little bit better that mine's at 14 now. the posted recipe had like 9 for terminal....

anyway i agree, i pulled a sample at 5 days and it was sulfur-y and just plain green. But I just pulled one yesterday, which is 10 days, and it has actually cleaned up quite nicely already.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:48 AM   #88
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
well i feel a little bit better that mine's at 14 now. the posted recipe had like 9 for terminal....

anyway i agree, i pulled a sample at 5 days and it was sulfur-y and just plain green. But I just pulled one yesterday, which is 10 days, and it has actually cleaned up quite nicely already.
Good to know. I was planning on bottling at the 10 day mark but the taste and the yeast in suspension have me thinking that maybe on day 10 I'll drop the temp down to cold crash it for a couple days before bottling. I'm also torn on whether to just bottle the whole thing, or keg most of it and bottle just a gallon or two for the comp. I've never had good luck bottling from a keg so I definitely want to bottle at least some of them.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:03 AM   #89
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 108

This weekend I am planning on brewing 5 gallons of my ESB, and 10 more gallons of mild, I am super stoked to get a mild stockpile, after this batch, I am going to tweak it a touch, I would like a bit more nuttiness from it I think.

It is going to be tough to have enough of this around to swap with everyone, maybe I should brew 20 gallons, 10 on Saturday and 10 on Sunday.... then start to tinker.. hmm

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 01-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #90
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
hmmm, now you have me thinking. I'll be racking a different beer off of a Wyeast 1469 cake today and brewing the Mild tomorrow. Might do a big batch and split it between a carboy with Nottingham and a carboy with the 1469. Would be interesting to compare the two.

edit:
Well, that's not going to work. Checked the 1469 and it's being its usual stubborn self and refusing to drop.
Could rack from under it, but another week might do it some good. Patience!
Have to ferment all the mild with Nottingham as planned.
top crop that 1469 and use that!

Quick Reply