HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Recipe & Discussion, Orfy's Mild "mini-comp" for 2011 HBT competition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 02:10 AM   #21
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1893 Times on 1872 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am planning on brewing this to the exact recipe. However, are all of the Orfy's "clones" going to be entered into a special category? Because if they're not, there may very well be other "Mild" entries that were planning on entering that category. Then what do we do? How do we separate the Orfy's from the others?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 02:11 AM   #22
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Merritt View Post
I am planning on brewing this to the exact recipe. However, are all of the Orfy's "clones" going to be entered into a special category? Because if they're not, there may very well be other "Mild" entries that were planning on entering that category. Then what do we do? How do we separate the Orfy's from the others?
I believe the point is this is a 'side' competition.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #23
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it

Recipes 

Liked 1893 Times on 1872 Posts

So how do we "enter" them?

Old 01-21-2011, 02:58 AM   #24
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Jesus christ. This "Mild contest" is supposed to be an INFORMAL thing. We all make the same recipe, then after the contest we all share our scores. That's it. Winner gets bragging rights, maybe. If someone wants to alter the recipe, then fine - we can compare their scores to the scores of people who made the recipe exactly. Nobody's going to be judging this contest as a contest - they'll just be judging beers, and we'll be the ones who know that we all brewed the same thing.

If you brew Orfy's recipe exactly, and someone else brews the same recipe, subs Willamette hops in it, and then gets a better score than you, you can decide if they "beat you" in the "contest" or not. There's nothing at stake other than that. It's just a fun thing to do.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:29 AM   #25
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Let me get this straight. Are you guys proposing to deny someone entry into a public contest because their beer doesn't conform to a certain recipe? The whole point is actually to compare feedback after the comp to see how differently they come out. Having additional entries into the public competition won't affect our ability to do that. If someone's recipe differs slightly, then we can either not include their feedback in the comparison, or use it as an additional data point to see how small changes like the hop difference came through in the feedback. We may find that that beer is more similar to some of the other beers that matched the recipe than others made to the same recipe.
It's not a competition, period. It's an experiment! The idea is for many people to brew the EXACT same recipe and enter it in the same comp and then see how different the judges find them to be. The only variables should be your own habits, equipment and process. The ingredients should be the same. That's the whole friggin idea!

You're free to brew whatever you want and enter it in the comp. It just won't be part of this little experiment we're doing.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:43 AM   #26
paulthenurse

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 127 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 17

OK, I'll jump in on this.

Orfy's. By da book.

PTN

Alcohol!

Because no-one ever started a great story with, "I was just finishing a lovely salad when..."

Old 01-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #27
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 362

well, that turned annoying pretty quickly

Old 01-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #28
mudarra
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
It's not a competition, period. It's an experiment! The idea is for many people to brew the EXACT same recipe and enter it in the same comp and then see how different the judges find them to be. The only variables should be your own habits, equipment and process. The ingredients should be the same. That's the whole friggin idea!

You're free to brew whatever you want and enter it in the comp. It just won't be part of this little experiment we're doing.
+1.

I'm sure there will be other mild beers entered as well. This is a BJCP contest so I don't think other "milds" could be restricted from entering.

It's just those of us who decide to enter Orfy's recipes will get back in this thread after judging and compare scores and notes.

I plan to make a trip to the lhbs today and pick up the ingredients I do not have. I don't need much, as I only intend on making a 1/2 batch. I haven't made a mild before, so this is the perfect opportunity, and Orfy's recipe makes for an easy brew day.

Larry

Old 01-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #29
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

whoa, what did I miss!? it is not a serious thing. I/we have no power to deny anyone entry from the official HBT comp. but if people need to sub out materials, then fine, but I am going to brew the recipe and see what happens. if you beat me w/ a diff hop, then i will ignore that in my own mind, because.... well, because I can.
cheers,
Wendy

Old 01-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #30
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts

Maybe I haven't explained my viewpoint very clearly. This is all for fun and comparing notes with people who deviated slightly from the recipe can only add data to our experiment. It doesn't take away from the fact that we can still compare beers made to the exact recipe. I'm proposing that the "official" winner can only be selected from those of us who follow the recipe exactly (excluding differences between maltsters, etc.), but why the hell not let everyone who creates a very similar recipe enter it and compare notes with them?

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Quick Reply