New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > The Official Thread for the 2011 British Bitter Brew-Off!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default The Official Thread for the 2011 British Bitter Brew-Off!

Contestants, grab your mash paddles because the countdown to the 2011 British Bitter Brew-Off has just begun! That's right, the competition designed specifically for that most special of beers, the British Bitter, is fast approaching. So either brew up your favorite bitter recipe, or set aside a bottle of that bitter you're drinking right now, because if you're dedicated to perfecting English-style brewing at home, you'll definitely want to enter this competition.

The Rules

Contestants must send (1) bottle of beer per entry to be judged. Beer may fall into any of the three bitter styles (ordinary, special, and extra special). Beers of each substyle will be judged together against the guidelines of that substyle. Overall scores will be used to judge the top three entries. Prizes are yet to be determined but will include at least bragging rights if not something else. Judging will be on Saturday June 11, 2011. All entries must be received by that time. Entries will be stored at either 50*F or room temperature from reciept until the day before judging based on the entrants preference. On the day before judging, all entries will be stored at 50*F until judging. Entries will not be anonymous since that would require too much effort on my part, but judging will be fair and impartial. Judging will also be completely honest and brutal. If you have a sensitive disposition, you may not want to enter unless you are absolutely sure your beer is awesome (and even then you may still want to think about it )

Other Info

You can find the discussion that led to this competition as well as tons of good info on producing English Ales at this link: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/british-yeasts-fermentation-temps-profiles-cybi-other-thoughts-221817/ . It also explains there why the month and a half or so to the competition is plenty of time to brew your bitter and send it in if you haven't brewed one already. There are also several other good threads on this website explaining how to create a good bitter. If you want to enter a beer you brewed with us-05, please reconsider.

I'll post up any additional info on this post as it comes up. Please respond in this thread if you would like to participate. Also say which subcategory(ies) you will be entering. I'll PM you with the shipping address and bottle labels.

Contestants
1.azscoob
2.bierhaus15
3.Hex
4.GuldTuborg
5.AnOldUR
6.JuanKenobi
7.Randar
8.SpanishCastleAle
9.jmo88
10.Beernip

Waiting List

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Hmmm, I might have to brew up a little something for this one, I am working on a few ideas and may have a brew worth entering.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 04-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
Hmmm, I might have to brew up a little something for this one, I am working on a few ideas and may have a brew worth entering.
After your performance in the HBT competition I'd be very pleased if you entered!

Old 04-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
After your performance in the HBT competition I'd be very pleased if you entered!
You know what, put me on that list KB, I will come up with something fabulous to enter!

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 04-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
You know what, put me on that list KB, I will come up with something fabulous to enter!
Added!

Old 04-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm sure I'll have a few to enter. Might even be able to offer up a small prize if there is some interest.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
I'm sure I'll have a few to enter. Might even be able to offer up a small prize if there is some interest.
Sweet! I'll add you to the list. I'm not sure how there wouldn't be interest in another prize! What I'm thinking about for prizes so far is a copy of Graham Wheeler's Brew Your Own British Real Ale to the winner, along with a bottle of each of my vintage homebrews (9-9-9, 10-10-10, and 11-11-11) to first second and third places.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Hex
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I've got two Yeoman's Special Bitters to enter.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
What I'm thinking about for prizes so far is a copy of Graham Wheeler's Brew Your Own British Real Ale to the winner, along with a bottle of each of my vintage homebrews (9-9-9, 10-10-10, and 11-11-11) to first second and third places.
Damn, I've been meaning to read this, too, but haven't gotten around to picking up a copy. Put me down; I'll find a way to make it happen. Most likely for a best/special bitter category, but I'll have to get back to you to be sure.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex View Post
I've got two Yeoman's Special Bitters to enter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuldTuborg View Post
Damn, I've been meaning to read this, too, but haven't gotten around to picking up a copy. Put me down; I'll find a way to make it happen. Most likely for a best/special bitter category, but I'll have to get back to you to be sure.
Added!

Quick Reply