Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > NOW OPEN! HBT 2011 BJCP Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #511
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I'm def not a medal whore but I think I've made the same recipe twice in all my batches. Doesn't matter how good it was the first time, I almost always change something (sometimes not intentionally!).

I only entered 3 comps last year; HBT (actually that may have been '09 IIRC), NHC, and my homebrew club-sponsored comp. The only one I have to pay shipping for is HBT, for NHC I just drop them off somewhere local and the homebrew club bulk ships them.

Both of my entries are styles that I have virtually never tasted the 'real' thing (Mild and Scotch Ale). Hard to hit a target when you don't really know what the target is.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #512
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1910 Times on 1888 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Woo Hoo mine has been delivered and signed for McLaughlin!

Old 03-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #513
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
So you medal whores out there, a question. Do you just have one good recipe that you submit over and over again? Which is fine, just wondering. And with the price of postage, why not just buy a bunch of homebrew medals?

_
If there is a very specific style and result I am shooting for I may make the same recipe, but for many broader categories like Amer IPA I am always mixing new hops together or combining aspects of different known good recipes to see what comes out of it.

The postage can definitely be a bummer, but I mostly participate on the local contest circuit, and I can hand deliver 90% of these to drop off locations so incur no postage. It's nice to get confirmation that you are doing something right. Also by gauging your performance over time against senior brewers you can track your improvement as a brewer over time. WA state also tracks all the registered home brewers in a state wide data base for points so the competitive aspect and bragging rights in the HB community is fun as well. In the bigger competitions you can end up winning some nice gear as well.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 03-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #514
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

All good answers, but I still see some guy's (not here) winning medal after medal after medal in the same 2 or 3 categories. Good grief, how much confirmation do you need? We get it, your one recipe is great. Seems a tad needy to me.

_

Old 03-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #515
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6071 Times on 5305 Posts
Likes Given: 712

Quote:
All good answers, but I still see some guy's (not here) winning medal after medal after medal in the same 2 or 3 categories. Good grief, how much confirmation do you need? We get it, your one recipe is great. Seems a tad needy to me.

_
Jamil can't enter NHC this year - he's gone pro.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #516
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Crap, I totally spaced the timeline on this. Wonder if its too late to send them?

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Old 03-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #517
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Quote:

_
FWIW, I know some medal whores that brew; say, an American Premium Lager. They bottle those as-is and enter as an American Premium Lager. Then they add 1 ounce (for example) of water to some bottles and top with the 'Premium Lager' to get a Standard American Lager and then use 2 ounces (example) of water for a Light American Lager. Three entries from one 'batch'.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 03-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #518
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
FWIW, I know some medal whores that brew; say, an American Premium Lager. They bottle those as-is and enter as an American Premium Lager. Then they add 1 ounce (for example) of water to some bottles and top with the 'Premium Lager' to get a Standard American Lager and then use 2 ounces (example) of water for a Light American Lager. Three entries from one 'batch'.
Just plain embarrassing.

_

Old 03-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #519
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Quote:
Just plain embarrassing.

_
Even if the Light American Lager medals?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #520
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

I broke down and entered a couple of beers. I hope they do well, as one is actually pretty good.

Quick Reply