Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > NOW OPEN! HBT 2011 BJCP Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 04:46 AM   #501
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew View Post
Ah. I knew the Cat would rally to the west's defense. No IPA? Well I got 6 horses in the hunt, but I'm bettin you got a brown and maybe a saison going and I don't have anything there. I've got an APA with some New Zealand hops that is kinda nice though. Perhaps you have an APA?
I do happen to have an APA... the one that finished second place in the BOS round last year. Though, I will admit that this batch didn't quite live up to the last few. My dry hop just didn't seem to have it's usual effect. :P

I also have my saison and an English brown and that's it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 06:34 AM   #502
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well good luck to you AZ and Cat. My IPA and APA just hit the keg a week ago and are nice, but experience tells me the flavor doesn't settle out for a week or two in the keg so they may change a bit more so we'll see how they set up for the contest. Of my other 4, 3 of them placed in the Cascade cup last week, so hopefully they still have some legs for the HBT judging when it comes up. I moved in Oct and did a major upgrade to HERMS on my brew system. The first 3 or 4 batches were learning experiences but I am starting to get it dialed in on the last 5 or 6.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 03-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #503
SourHopHead

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Can we get a trophy for the West and our winning IPA? HBT East vs. West IPA challenge?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

FV's- Flanders Red, Munich Helles x2, Apfelwein, Hard Lemonade
SV1- Pumpkin Spice
SV2- Hard Cider
SV3- Empty
Kegs- Green Chili Ale, Watermelon Sour

On Deck: Celebration Ale Clone

"Be Good or Be Gone." EST. 1854
Shazbot Blonde

KingBrianI Likes This 
Old 03-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #504
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Someone is going to have to tabulate how many categories are won by West vs East brewers. Gonna end up like the East coast vs West coast rappers.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #505
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew View Post
Ah. I knew the Cat would rally to the west's defense. No IPA? Well I got 6 horses in the hunt, but I'm bettin you got a brown and maybe a saison going and I don't have anything there. I've got an APA with some New Zealand hops that is kinda nice though. Perhaps you have an APA?

hatfieldenator: Yosemite is a wondrous place for certain. Next time you are in Cali pop on down to San Diego and they will feed you some IPA's that will blow your mind. West Coast (insert emoticon with backwards ball cap)
haha, yes we do, also use hops for marinades and rubs

I have an IPA that would fair well but not really to style as it is under gravity and over hopped but that's how I like 'em. Just too bad I picked my entries before I knew I was making it

Old 03-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #506
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So you medal whores out there, a question. Do you just have one good recipe that you submit over and over again? Which is fine, just wondering. And with the price of postage, why not just buy a bunch of homebrew medals?

_

Old 03-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #507
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
, why not just buy a bunch of homebrew medals?

_
Because buying judges is cheaper.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #508
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6143 Times on 5347 Posts
Likes Given: 752

Quote:
So you medal whores out there, a question. Do you just have one good recipe that you submit over and over again? Which is fine, just wondering. And with the price of postage, why not just buy a bunch of homebrew medals?

_
This will be my second time submitting my brown ale. It scored a 45 at the 2010 AZ competition, and I am just looking for confirmation that it's solid and that it the 2010 batch wasn't a fluke (btw; I'm not expecting a 45 again - that would be asinine). Afterall, one of my major goals is to be able to produce consistent batches....

The APA and IPA I'm submitting are new recipes.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #509
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
This will be my second time submitting my brown ale. It scored a 45 at the 2010 AZ competition, and I am just looking for confirmation that it's solid and that it the 2010 batch wasn't a fluke (btw; I'm not expecting a 45 again - that would be asinine). Afterall, one of my major goals is to be able to produce consistent batches....

The APA and IPA I'm submitting are new recipes.
All 3 of mine are first timers. I'm really not a comp guy, I almost didn't even send these in. Meh, to each their own. And as far as producing consistent batches, you're relying on 2 different sets of strangers to confirm this? Is your mouth broke?

_

Old 03-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #510
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
All 3 of mine are first timers. I'm really not a comp guy, I almost didn't even send these in. Meh, to each their own. And as far as producing consistent batches, you're relying on 2 different sets of strangers to confirm this? Is your mouth broke?

_
yep, I was rethinking at the UPS store myself.

Quick Reply