Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > NOW OPEN! HBT 2011 BJCP Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #231
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I individually wrap the bottles in bubble wrap, then stick that in a box, then stick that box in another box with some kind of padding around it. It's complete overkill, but I have never had a broken bottle that way, either.

I wouldn't just stick it in a six pack because that gives the bottles too much freedom of movement in my opinion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #232
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I figure that if it takes them at least an hour to unpack my beer when it arrives, I've done it right.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #233
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6028 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 687

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato View Post
I've never mailed beer before. I am sending in 6 bottles. Does anyone have any recommendations of what company to use and the best way to package these? I was thinking of just putting the beers in a 6 pack holder, wrapping bubble wrap around it and sticking it in a box. Is there a better way to do this?
http://www.clarkbrewing.com/Clark_Br...ng_System.html

Old 02-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #234
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
From the website:
Quote:
not accepting orders at this time
Also I have seen those before and seem to recall them being pretty pricey. Especially when I already have bubble wrap and boxes around since I save that stuff when I get packages, I have a hard time justifying the cost to myself.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #235
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Help me pick the style for my entry!

My biggest problem with BJCP competitions is I never brew to style. Judges always comment how good my beer is but clobber me for entering it in the "wrong" category.

So, one of my entries is a Maris Otter, Chinook, US-05 SMaSH. 1.060 OG, 60ish IBU, and plenty of malt backbone. I was initially thinking 8C as it's reminiscent of Golden Strong Bitters I've had in London. Judges are supposed to judge this category pretty liberally, but 05 is clearly not an English yeast and the ferment was extremely clean. Now I'm second-guessing myself and thinking this belongs in 10A.

Where would you put this beer?
There is no shortage of bad judges but I can't think of a great beer I scored poorly without noting a category that would work better on the scoresheet. You are right though, most judges are too narrow in interpreting styles. You are also right that they are likely to score a golden/summer bitter poorly. I would enter it in 10A or 14B, especially if it isn't fruity from fermentation.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #236
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6028 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 687

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
From the website:
oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post

Also I have seen those before and seem to recall them being pretty pricey. Especially when I already have bubble wrap and boxes around since I save that stuff when I get packages, I have a hard time justifying the cost to myself.
Yeah, they are (were?) pretty pricey, but really convenient. I bought several of the 9-pack boxes, and they worked out great.

But, back to newspaper and bubble wrap I guess...

Old 02-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #237
remilard
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato View Post
I've never mailed beer before. I am sending in 6 bottles. Does anyone have any recommendations of what company to use and the best way to package these? I was thinking of just putting the beers in a 6 pack holder, wrapping bubble wrap around it and sticking it in a box. Is there a better way to do this?
1. Don't use tape anywhere other than the outside of the box.
2. Line the box with a garbage back, double knot it when you are done.
3. Put a light layer of crumbled paper or bubble wrap on the top and bottom. 12" tall boxes give you room for this with standard long neck bottles.
4. Rubber band the bottle label to each bottle.
5. Rubber band a layer or two of bubble wrap to each bottle. I use one 12" perforated sheet from a roll for each bottle.
6. Pack the box TIGHT. You want no internal movement. You shouldn't need a six pack holder to keep them in place if it is tight enough.

UPS or Fedex are both fine, I use the latter as it is more convenient for me.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #238
remilard
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I figure that if it takes them at least an hour to unpack my beer when it arrives, I've done it right.
I imagine you are joking but this is a good way to not make friends, and I am being serious, people will remember the name of the asswhipe that overpacked. Volunteer to receive for your next local competition and see how much you like spending hundreds of hours unpacking. My bottles never break and my boxes can be unpacked very quickly. Why? I don't use god damn tape anywhere other than the outside of the box. I don't use peanuts. I pack the box like I would if I were the person unpacking it.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #239
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I'm going to ship mine in a 12 pack box with cardboard between the bottles holding them tight. I'll put the 12 pack in a bigger box with packing material lined in a trash bag. I shipped Christmas gifts that way and all made it safe.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #240
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender

Recipes 

Liked 382 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Can I volunteer to be one of the "families" that gets 600 bottles of beer delivered to them?

murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Quick Reply