The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > NOW OPEN! HBT 2011 BJCP Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 01:34 AM   #121
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I do want to put forth that those of us benefiting from all of Yooper's work need to do a lil' sumthin' sumthin' for her before all is said and done. All chip in for a gift cert from an online supplier or somesuch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 01:37 AM   #122
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I do want to put forth that those of us benefiting from all of Yooper's work need to do a lil' sumthin' sumthin' for her before all is said and done. All chip in for a gift cert from an online supplier or somesuch.
Please no. I don't want that. Seriously. I appreciate the thought- but I don't want any gifts or anything. The competition will not make money, but we won't lose money either, and the spirit of the competition is what's important. The entry fees will cover the cost of postage, labels, scoresheets, etc and we'll call that good. Thanks for the offer, though. You guys are awesome.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:41 AM   #123
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I think the biggest favor we could do for Yooper as a community at this point is to

READ and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!

Be good to Yooper, she's the only one we got!

Old 01-13-2011, 02:13 AM   #124
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Please no. I don't want that. Seriously. I appreciate the thought- but I don't want any gifts or anything. The competition will not make money, but we won't lose money either, and the spirit of the competition is what's important. The entry fees will cover the cost of postage, labels, scoresheets, etc and we'll call that good. Thanks for the offer, though. You guys are awesome.
And I knew you'd say that, but it doesn't change my mind. I know the competition is set up to pay for itself but you deserve a thank-you gift for all the work you've done! You work your ass off doing this.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:50 AM   #125
dmbGator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yooper has been the best. I found this late, sent the PM, received one back the next day. Sent the paypal money and received the registration the next day. So within 3 days I got this all sorted out. I believe it's because I READ and FOLLOWED the instructions. Its not that hard, she even gave an example of what to put in the note section on paypal. It sucks that this is such a headache for her but I am really appreciate that this competition is being done. It is suppose to teach us something about the beer we brew, but for some it might teach to read.

Upcoming:
Primary: Pale Ale
Secondary: Gint's Two Kidney Ale, Oktoberfest, Conway's Irish Ale Clone, Shiraz
Bottled: Apfelwein, Green Apple Reisling
Kegged:Phat Tyre

Old 01-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #126
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Heck, no. I don't want any money at all. I was just venting a bit. I'm getting tons of emails/PMs with bits of pieces of information, and it's very difficult to wade through. That's fine, but I got a couple of not-so-nice emails (NOT from the people who posted here!) saying, "I never got my form!!!" and it was because I had those issues I mentioned. A paypal with no HBT ID on it, and several with no addresses. One was the wrong amount and insisted it was correct, etc. Then I send back an email asking for the information, but it turns out the paypal email is a different email than the one they use, so I got a PM concerning it. I don't even know WHO some of the "problems" are- because they don't identify themselves, and then ask me why they haven't heard back! Well, let's see- no correct email address, no address to register, etc. I get "I told you in a PM!". Yes, well, I got 500 PMs since Sunday. That's why we're doing this via email, in one place on the paypal form. I'm usually pretty patient but it's making me crazy. I knew it would be lots of work, though, so that's really not a problem.

Anyway, the bulk of the registration should be about done and there are a few people still waiting for their forms. They should get them all by noon tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me express myself, and then please proceed to keep registering for the competition! Thank you!
You should consider getting an entry software package. We started using this one this year:

http://brewcompetition.com/

After the guy who had been handling it all with a self built process didn't want to handle the entries again. We decided to get something off the shelf rather than inherit the existing process. It has been pretty painless. It does handle multiple judging locations. It's no cost as well, though we paid $10 to host it since we don't have anyone smart enough to install it (and we don't have a server). It handles PayPal payments which is one of the reasons we went with it.

I know you have the problem of needing to vet people as forum members or premium members, but the system above is open source so a reasonably talented person I assume could set it up so that you have to log in with your HBT credentials to register. In either case manually handling forms and payments sounds like a lot of work. For a 600? entry competition.

My favorite system to use as an entrant is the one Jamil Z wrote for the AHA comp. Not sure if that is generally available or what it costs. UMMO uses it as well.

Al Boyce has a system as well that is very popular in the Midwest. It also is a competition management software which is nice because everything is together and online. It's always hosted on his server though which may make it a no go for you as I suspect any software would have to be modified to allow for restricting access to forum members.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #127
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I vote for Victorias Secret, no reason Bob shouldn't benefit from this as well.

_

Old 01-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #128
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1899 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I vote for Victorias Secret, no reason Bob shouldn't benefit from this as well.

_
I was thinking Adam and Eve, but Victoria Secrets is good also...

Yoop, just let me know when things slow down for you. I don't want to enter until the bugs have been worked out. Can't risk the chance of misunderstandings messing with my win!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #129
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I was thinking Adam and Eve, but Victoria Secrets is good also...
Hell, make it Good Vibrations and she wouldn't even need him around anymore!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:31 AM   #130
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
You should consider getting an entry software package. We started using this one this year:

http://brewcompetition.com/

After the guy who had been handling it all with a self built process didn't want to handle the entries again. We decided to get something off the shelf rather than inherit the existing process. It has been pretty painless. It does handle multiple judging locations. It's no cost as well, though we paid $10 to host it since we don't have anyone smart enough to install it (and we don't have a server). It handles PayPal payments which is one of the reasons we went with it.

I know you have the problem of needing to vet people as forum members or premium members, but the system above is open source so a reasonably talented person I assume could set it up so that you have to log in with your HBT credentials to register. In either case manually handling forms and payments sounds like a lot of work. For a 600? entry competition.

My favorite system to use as an entrant is the one Jamil Z wrote for the AHA comp. Not sure if that is generally available or what it costs. UMMO uses it as well.

Al Boyce has a system as well that is very popular in the Midwest. It also is a competition management software which is nice because everything is together and online. It's always hosted on his server though which may make it a no go for you as I suspect any software would have to be modified to allow for restricting access to forum members.
Thanks for the help! I DID try using HCCP this year, but the issue came with the "east" and "west" comp having to be registered separately- it would NOT let me separate them. So I had to start over, doing it all by hand. ARGGGHHHH! It has some great features- including scoring, and moving entries ahead to the next round, so I thought it would work but it's actually three separate comps, in order to comply with BJCP rules as being on one site.

I will say that this is probably the last HBT competition, though.

Anyway, we still have tons of room for registrations because of being able to take up to 600 entries.

Surprisingly, the majority of the entries at this time are coming from the east! Homer, you can enter whenever you want. Aside from still working a bit on week days, my schedule gives me plenty of time right now for this.

I'm wondering, where are all the people west of the Mississippi River? Not too many entries. Maybe they're intimidated by the Cat?!? I don't know but the competition in the east will be fierce. Right now, the west- not so much.

(Not that the entrants in the west are brewing weaklings- but there sure aren't many of them!)

Quick Reply