Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > NOW OPEN! HBT 2011 BJCP Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 03:35 AM   #1121
ohiobrewtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Yeah, not a chance in hell it'll happen again. No how, no way.

I spent 150+ hours on it, and Ohiobrewtus probably has 40+, Some wonderful HBT friends judged, held it at their own homebrew shop, etc, as well as perfect strangers giving time, energy, effort. Our sponsors donated prizes.

No way we'll ever do it again. Not a chance.
40 hours? Holy crap, woman, you have been deceived.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 03:39 AM   #1122
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
40 hours? Holy crap, woman, you have been deceived.
I have? The judging, organizing, and and standing for two days by a scanner? The emailing of flights, etc, and you haven't even counted any hours for the second round or organizing? How many hours would you say you spent/will spend by the time it's over? I assume both judging Saturdays are 8 hours each, of course! And Thursday, Friday Judging for the first round.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:43 AM   #1123
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieHomeBrew View Post
lol this is so depressing. maybe you could set up a thread for a potential competition and ask for volunteers? I would be more than happy to volunteer...even if it means i cant enter..to keep this going..this was a great competition.
Ya know... I did this already. I started a new thread asking for volunteers that were semi-local to me. Thousands of people on this forum and my turnout was 1 guy that drove 2+ hours from Michigan and one guy that drove 2+ hours from NE Ohio. Both of them are great guys that I hope to have the chance to meet again and actually sit down and enjoy a couple of pints with, but I'd *guess* that there are at least 500 HBT members within a 3 hour drive of the competition site, and I heard from 2. TWO.

Technically I heard from a few more than that, but they heard about the competition through SODZ (a homebrew club in Columbus, OH), and it wasn't until later that I found out that they were HBT members.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:46 AM   #1124
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Quote:
I have? The judging, organizing, and and standing for two days by a scanner? The emailing of flights, etc, and you haven't even counted any hours for the second round or organizing? How many hours would you say you spent/will spend by the time it's over? I assume both judging Saturdays are 8 hours each, of course! And Thursday, Friday Judging for the first round.
I haven't been keeping track, but 40 hours seems to be on the extreme low end of any estimate that I would give.

Having said that, I knew that it would be very time consuming when I signed up for the job. I also knew that it would be less time consuming than dealing with all of the questions from the entrants.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 AM   #1125
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 383 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Dear Yooper,

I have not yet received by 15 gallon Blichman brewkettle. Please remedy this oversight ASAP.

ChshreCat

*runs away and hides*

Old 04-02-2011, 03:51 AM   #1126
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

One way of sending those PDFs might be to upload them to e.g. Google Docs and then share them. Then they aren't clogging up your inbox.

Actually, my company makes a product that would be perfect for this kind of thing, but I cannot just set up a bunch of accounts on our public server for my homebrewing friends on the internet.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:00 AM   #1127
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
I haven't been keeping track, but 40 hours seems to be on the extreme low end of any estimate that I would give.

Having said that, I knew that it would be very time consuming when I signed up for the job. I also knew that it would be less time consuming than dealing with all of the questions from the entrants.
Oh, I knew it would be time-consuming, too! The last comp took up about 80 hours of my time.

I'm surprised I'm guessing at the extreme low end, but in my defense, I did say 40+!

The great thing about HBT is that I like to think that we're all friends, and accessible to each other. Unfortunately, this comp has made me need a time out after it's over. I'm very tired. Very tired.

I got beat up badly by a manufacturer of Cooper's kits, because I called the prehopped LME/bad yeast "lager" kit garbage. Mulitple harassing PMs (over more than three days) which have only ended due to another mod stepping in, PLUS this comp and the multiple emails/PMs, PLUS working, PLUS trying to be a wife, mother and grandmother PLUS moving twice during the comp, etc about did me in. I'm not sure how much more I can take. It may be better for me to take a break from this once the comp is done.

That's about all I can say.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:10 AM   #1128
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Quote:
Oh, I knew it would be time-consuming, too! The last comp took up about 80 hours of my time.

I'm surprised I'm guessing at the extreme low end, but in my defense, I did say 40+!

The great thing about HBT is that I like to think that we're all friends, and accessible to each other. Unfortunately, this comp has made me need a time out after it's over. I'm very tired. Very tired.

I got beat up badly by a manufacturer of Cooper's kits, because I called the prehopped LME/bad yeast "lager" kit garbage. Mulitple harassing PMs (over more than three days) which have only ended due to another mod stepping in, PLUS this comp and the multiple emails/PMs, PLUS working, PLUS trying to be a wife, mother and grandmother PLUS moving twice during the comp, etc about did me in. I'm not sure how much more I can take. It may be better for me to take a break from this once the comp is done.

That's about all I can say.
Damn.. good thing I can get my own score sheets!

FWIW, 2nd round is looking like 8 judges and 2 sessions. I'm still working on getting a certain Grand Master V judge who is within a 2.5 hour drive to attend... which would obviously lend quite a bit of *oompf* to the results, but I can't make any promises, as NHC 1st round is in Indy the weekend after, which explains why I'm having problems finding the judges I need to get everything done in 1 session.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:12 AM   #1129
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Wow if you could get Gordon Strong I will just say "please please please let him judge my beers".

Old 04-02-2011, 05:11 AM   #1130
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
I'm still working on getting a certain Grand Master V judge who is within a 2.5 hour drive to attend... which would obviously lend quite a bit of *oompf* to the results
Wow, that would be sweet.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Quick Reply