*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > NOW OPEN! HBT 2011 BJCP Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4507 Times on 3278 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Default NOW OPEN! HBT 2011 BJCP Competition

HBT BJCP Contest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011 HBT Homebrew Competition
RULES AND REGULATIONS
Any member of HBT may enter. No minimum length of membership, or minimum number of posts will be required; however, the competition will open approximately 5 days early for premium/lifetime supporters to register.
No more than one entry may be made per sub-category. In categories with no sub categories, only one entry per category will be accepted. Beer only will be judged in this contest. NO cider, mead, or wine!
All entries will be judged on an individual basis – judging score sheets will be mailed back to each entrant.
Each entry shall consist of (3) three 10-12 oz. bottles. Entrants will be sending two bottles initially, and holding the third bottle in reserve for the BOS/ second round. Those advancing to the second round will be notified immediately following the first round, and given the address for the second round. The second round will require one additional bottle, to be submitted following the competition. Those advancing to the second round will be notified immediately following the first round, and given the address for the BOS round.
No swingtops, or plastic (PET) bottles; only crown capped bottles (except for Belgian styles, which may be corked and wired).
Bottles may be brown or green glass, and should be free of any labels, or any other identifying marks. Bottle caps must be either plain or blacked out with a magic marker.
"Sam Adams" bottles, where the bottle is engraved will be accepted but not preferred.
All entries must be brewed at home. No commercial operation or equipment may be used. All entries become the property of Homebrewtalk.com.
It is the entrant’s responsibility to enter his or her beer in the proper category, as specified in the new 2008 BJCP “Style Guidelines.” No entry will be reclassified. For additional details refer to the guidelines at the BJCP website.
Entries in some categories/sub-categories need to specify special ingredients and/or classic style information on the entry form and bottle labels. Entries in 16E, 17F, 20, 21, 22, and 23 all may require additional information. If this information is not provided on the entry form blank where appropriate, the entry will be disqualified.
An entry fee of ($7.00) seven dollars shall be paid for the first entry and $5 for each additional entry registered at the same time. Paypal is preferred. Checks may be accepted, but check with the contest organizer first. For additional entries after the first fees have been paid, it will be $7.00 for this entry, and $5 for each additional entry at the same time.
There will be a maximum of 300 entries in the east, and 300 in the west. When these 300 entries have been registered in each zone, registration will close. To enter, PM Yooper AFTER JANUARY 8 (Yoopers close up for Christmas break)for the correct form and paypal information, which will come via email. YOU MUST PROVIDE A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS. When the fees are paid, a form will be emailed to the entrant to attach to the bottles securely with either a rubber band or masking tape. They will be given an ID number, and that is the number that should be placed on this form. No names or other identifying data should be provided. They will be given the address for the submission. Do NOT use the USPS- that is illegal. Use an alternate carrier. Pack well- no refunds can be given due to damaged entries/lost entries/undelivered entries. When you request the form, you will be asked to indicate whether you are east or west of the Mississippi River. You must know this, or you will not be allowed to register!
Entry deadline is March 12, 2011. Entries must be received at the judging area by March 19, 2011. Judging date is March 26, 2011. Late entries will not be judged or returned.
Ribbons will be awarded for 1, 2, and 3 place winners in each category. Categories may be compressed/combined at the discretion of the organizer and Head Judge. Categories with few entries may be combined with other similar categories for judging purposes. Entries scoring less than 30 points (out of 50) may not be eligible for an award based on the discretion of the judges. All decisions are final.
10. A BOS prize will be awarded. This will be done AFTER the main competition, and those advancing will be advised on where to send their third bottle of the same beer, with the same labeling.
11. The decision of the judges is final.
12. All named prizes will be awarded.
13. To receive the named prize, winners will be notified of their winning place via a PM on HBT. They then have 3 days to post the recipe in the recipe database, or forfeit the prize. The prize will then be awarded to the next in line.

This is set up in the same way as the NHC. The first round will be in your area (west or east of the Mississippi River), and the second round will be in one central location.

Any questions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 466 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 17

WOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6154 Times on 5354 Posts
Likes Given: 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Any questions?
Nope.

Thanks for continuing the effort to keep this comp going

Old 12-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Gonna be tougher for us, AZ, since everyone knows the good brewers are west of the Mississippi.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Gonna be tougher for us, AZ, since everyone knows the good brewers are west of the Mississippi.
What did you say? I couldn't see your post because of the glare coming off of my gold medal from my award winning brown ale

(Yooper - should we start a trash talk thread? )

Old 12-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

What? You expect me to confine my ego to just ONE thread? After last year?

Old 12-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #7
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
What? You expect me to confine my ego to just ONE thread? After last year?
Oh I'm sorry. Did you enter last year?

Old 12-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #8
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Time to get to brewin!

Old 12-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4507 Times on 3278 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dragon View Post
Thanks Yoop.

Let me just state as somebody that has been here a long time and rarely posts:

If you have a problem with any of the rules or don't like anything about how this competition is run shut the fyuck up and don't post and don't enter.
Well, thanks for the support!

I actually appreciate constructive criticism most of the time, but I do want everyone to realize that about 50 people will be working very hard to make a great competition happen. Two or three of us are working many, many hours and two families will have 600 bottles of beer delivered to them. One place will get it again two weeks later, for the second round!

Please remember that we are volunteers who get NOTHING out of this. No prize, pay, reward, nada. So please if you DO have something to say, keep that in mind and be kind.

Incidently, I live in Michigan, but will be wintering in Texas so I plan on entering both!

(Kidding, kidding, kidding. Don't send me nasty PMs.)
SpottedDogBrewing Likes This 
Old 12-23-2010, 12:21 AM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Sweet. I may actually enter this time - I've got a few things fermenting that might be worth having another opinion on.

THANK YOU, YOOPER!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply