New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > National Comp. Score Sheets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

Default National Comp. Score Sheets

Well, I got my score sheets back from the Nationals and I was not too impressed. Two of the beers finished first in their categories nationally in the first round, the third was something like 13th. In the second round they scored much lower and did not get too many useful comments or notes explaining anything. Part of that is the new score sheet they were trying out. I think part of the problem was the luck of the draw and the placement in the flights in the second round (fairly much near the end), but age and different judges probably was the main issue. That or the beer was not up to snuff. My barleywine had a note saying it was more of an IPA then a barleywine, which made me laugh and my RIS was "not roasty enough and could use more alcohol warmth". Well, I am a judge and so I can say this, you have to love the judges and their thoughtful comments!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
dblvsn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry to hear about that BP. I've heard a lot of brewers in my area say the same thing at many competitions is that they don't get much feedback at all about their beers. Is it just due to the fact that there aren't enough quality judges out there anymore? Are there more beers being entered than they can find judges for?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

They had more judges this year. One panel had 3, one had 2 and I am not sure on the other. I just think a 10 point difference from 1st round to 2nd round is a bit steep, particularly on beers as strong as Russian Imperials and Barleywines!

Quick Reply