Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > How Much Should I Brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
BertusBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How Much Should I Brew?

I am trying to figure out how much beer to brew for my wedding reception. We are expecting about 250 people. I plan on bottling as opposed to kegging. Does anybody have an estimate how many bottles I should bring to the reception hall?

I have already checked the laws in my area and transporting and serving homebrew is not an issue, and the banquet hall has no problem with me bringing my own brew also.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

no way to answer that question, really.

Is it 250 rowdy Irish people or 250 strict Buddhists? You'll need very different amounts of beer for those two crowds.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 128

The beers will be served by a bartender who knows how to pour a bottle conditioned beer right? I would hate to have a guest pour his own beer and dump the sediment into their glass, or just drink it right out of the bottle.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 01-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
no way to answer that question, really.

Is it 250 rowdy Irish people or 250 strict Buddhists? You'll need very different amounts of beer for those two crowds.
Exactly.
But to give you some idea of numbers, assuming 4 beers a person would = 1000 beers, assuming 48 beers per 5 gallons, you are looking at ~ 100 Gallons.

I would also not recommend bottling unless you want to explain to everyone that they need to pour the beer into a glass, and due to yeast and people not being use to it, if you go this route, I would suggest increasing the amount of port johns for the event.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I'd say "a lot"... and I can't even imagine bottling that much for 250 people at a wedding reception. Have you "seriously" thought about kegging it? Then you could run maybe 6 to 8 5-gal kegs at a time, and plan on say 10 to 15 kegs total for that many people.

EDIT: I know you said bottling instead of kegging, but wow that's a lot of bottling. I just kegged my first beer, and don't think I'll ever bottle again, unless it's bottling from the keg... it is so much easier.

Last edited by Frodo; 01-25-2011 at 06:12 PM. Reason: clarify

Old 01-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
BertusBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the input guys. There are 250 people coming and most of them are not heavy drinkers. I really do not plan on providing beer for the entire party, just enough so everybody can have some. I understand the complications that go along with bottling such as yeast sediment, but I still feel this is the easier way to do things. It is my wedding and I won't really have time to monitor the kegs and handle any problems that can arise such as excessive foaming or jackasses messing around with the co2 regulator.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Assume 15% of the invitees don't drink at all (or won't because they are designated drivers).

Assume 30% of the remaining drinkers don't like beer.

That leaves ~150 people who will "have some".

If you allow 2 bottles per homebrew "taster", that's 300 bottles or 6 batches.

Now...if you advertise 4 or 5 different styles of beer, you simply won't have enough because people will taste one style, and move on to another and before you know it, one person has trashed 5 bottles of beer.

One style only on the other hand...with six ounce serving cups, will stretch your bounty much further.

Still...I'd keg.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply