Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > How do I find and enter a competition?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #11
jpsloan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My county's fair is coming up after Labor Day... and I'm sorely tempted to enter. I figure, entry fee of $10... couldn't hurt to get some solid input from judges on my beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I didn't realize til yesterday that the deadline for entering beers in the Mich. State Fair Hombrew Comp is this Saturday...I thought I had at least another 2 weeks to let my Old Bog Road Brown Ale Condition.

I'm planning to enter that in the Amrican Brown Ale Category as Well as the "First Timer" category, for those who have never entered the State Fair.

I'm also entering my "El Hombre Muerte" deadguy clone in the specialty beer category, since it is not a true maibok since it is not a lager, but is instead my interpretation as an ale and fermented with bottle harvested pacman yeast.

I bottled both of those beers in pints but reserved a sixer of each for the comp. The Pints are now finally coming into their own...so I'm sort of praying that the 12's are a little further along in terms of conditioning...

I chilled down a 12 ouncer of each, and will test them tonight...*crossing fingers*
I've never entered anything before...I doubt that I will place in any category considering that over 800 beers were entered last year...but who knows? It probably really depends on who/what gets entered in any given category. If Brown Ales are popular this year, then mine will probably be lost among the crowd....I don't know how they judge the n00b category, since it appears that all the beers entered will compete against each other.

And who knows what will be in the specialty beer category...Maybe mine will stand out because of it's simplicity...It may be a welcome relief after prune/parmigian or whatever gets entered in that category...

At least I'll get Bjcp scoresheets, if I can set my easily bruised ego aside I'm sure I'll get insights as to how to improve my beers....

I'm planning to drop them off tomorrow after work...EEEK!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #13
jpsloan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I'm planning to drop them off tomorrow after work...EEEK!!
Good luck there, Revvy!

Now, I'm off to bottle my prune/parmasan porter...

Old 07-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I entered my first competition ever last month, the Orange County Fair. It was only $3 and two bottles, so I figured I had nothing to lose. There is also a private beer appreciation party for anyone that participates in the competition (which was awesome by the way).

I entered an ESB, it was one of the last extract batches I did, and wasn't anything special in my opinion.

Turns out I placed 2nd in Category 8 (English Pale Ale). Pretty cool stuff.

So go enter competitions, it is fun.

Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

Old 07-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #15
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd recommend that everyone do this at least a couple of times. The cost is minimal and it's a cheap way to get (usually) expert feedback on your beers.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #16
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsloan View Post
My county's fair is coming up after Labor Day... and I'm sorely tempted to enter. I figure, entry fee of $10... couldn't hurt to get some solid input from judges on my beer.
You should check to see if you get a free pass or at least a discount on getting into the fair. My local county fair is $5 to enter the comp and you get a free pass. If you go to the gate to buy a pass its $10 a person.

So not only do you get some feedback, potential to win some ribbons and cash, you get into the fair for only 5 bucks.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:28 PM   #17
Redweasel

Recipes 

I've been wanting to enter comps for a while now. I finally feel that my beers are good enough to have at least a shot of placing. I'm seriously thinking of sending out each batch I brew from now on if I can find enough competitions. It would be nice to get some feedback positive or otherwise.

I'm very happy that the locals like my beer, but I'd like to get some unbiased professional feedback. Anything to help me move forward in my brewing.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:31 PM   #18
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redweasel View Post
I've been wanting to enter comps for a while now. I finally feel that my beers are good enough to have at least a shot of placing. I'm seriously thinking of sending out each batch I brew from now on if I can find enough competitions. It would be nice to get some feedback positive or otherwise.

I'm very happy that the locals like my beer, but I'd like to get some unbiased professional feedback. Anything to help me move forward in my brewing.
You will get some good feedback, don't be surprised or upset if you also get some pretty crappy feedback.

Some judges are better than others at judging or writing feedback, and there are also a lot of factors in competitions that can influence palates.

Kevin

Old 07-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #19
Redweasel

Recipes 

I'm not scared of critisism as long as it is constructive. If it can help me brew better beer then bring it on.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #20
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redweasel View Post
I'm not scared of critisism as long as it is constructive. If it can help me brew better beer then bring it on.
That's what I mean, you might not get very good feedback at all. They like them to fill out all the lines with lots of descriptive things, but sometimes they just don't do that. You might get sheets back that really don't help you at all.

Kevin

Quick Reply