The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > HELP!!! HomeBrew Experience/Vacation/Fun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
lmbanegas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default HELP!!! HomeBrew Experience/Vacation/Fun

My sweetheart is really into his home-brew and I have much to learn, but I am more than willing.

Anyway, I need a lot of help and many suggestions on where to go and what to do as a home-brew surprise trip, weekend or get away. We are located in Florida but could drive....or fly. I want to surprise him sometime this fall or winter or I suppose even in the spring if need be. So do you have any suggestions on a totally fun and cool weekend for a guy that enjoys beer, travel and home-brew???? I really love him and he deserves it all, so Please help!!!

My name is Lisa and my email is lmbanegas@yahoo.com

THANK YOU!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Honestly, I can't think of much in the neighborhood of homebrewing, but I always love going on brewery tours. I'd find as many breweries and you can and plan a trip to visit multiple breweries. Drive to each one and enjoy the scenery. I took two weeks off last summer and my girlfriend and I went from state to state visiting all the breweries we could find. I met so many cool people on the trip and met a lot of homebrewers.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1902 Times on 1373 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

The problem is that homebrew cannot be sold. So the most exciting thing that we normally get to do is brew it, or shop for equipment and ingredients. Sometimes we get together and brew together and eat food and have a good old time.

BUT - I think that if he enjoys Homebrew, then he might enjoy going on a Craft Beer Vacation! Choose a Craft Beer-rich area like Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo, or Traverse City (Michigan) and stay a night or two and sample some beers and eat some food. There are many really great breweries across the US almost as good as those I mentioned.

Other than that, the only thing "homebrew" that I can think of is going on an equipment buying spree. Actually, it might cost about the same and then he has more equipment to brew with, so that would be a winner in my book!

Or you could beg for homebrew from some of the members here. Premium Members sometimes exchange info and send each other beer. I've had some REALLY special beer from the guys on here before.

SO what's his experience? Equipment? That might give us an idea of what to suggest.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Wait till next year and go to the National Homebrewers Conference
http://www.ahaconference.org/

Old 09-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 866 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 1921

Maybe some kind of beer-related event or festival, Lisa? There is a national homebrewers conference, usually in June, I think, but I don't see it on the AHA website. The AHA does have an event calendar here http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...vents/calendar It looks like there are alot of homebrew club events on it, which isn't probably what you'd be looking for, but you if you look it over there might be something more exciting jump out at you.

Also Beer Advocate has a calendar with events and festivals on it, here http://beeradvocate.com/events/calendar/2010/09

Old 09-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1902 Times on 1373 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

You could hook him up with THIS SITE (But then he'd see the surprise suggestions...)

Seriously, this site has done more for me than anything else in homebrewing.

And maybe most of all, and often forgotten, keep supporting his habit, er... I mean hobby.

Quick Reply