Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > HBT Homebrew Competition...So Bummed Out!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #61
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
By BJCP rules beer always go head to head with a single set of judges before category winners determined. Please go to the BJCP website and read the rules and understand them before making assumptions.

Revvy tactics (cut and paste)
You're going to need some bold, CAPITALIZATION, links and
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Self quotes
before you advance to the next level of Revvyization!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #62
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2017 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
In large competitions, a single category may be divided into multiple flights with the overall winner determined in a Mini-BOS round.

MINI-BOS ROUND
A subsequent flight within a session during which judges compare the leading entries of two or more separate flights in order to determine overall class or category winners. This shall not qualify as a separate session for the purpose of awarding points.

By BJCP rules beer always go head to head with a single set of judges before category winners determined. Please go to the BJCP website and read the rules and understand them before making assumptions.

Revvy tactics (cut and paste)
This says that a single category may be divided (split up) into multiple flights (either different judges or same judges at different time). The best of these flights go against each other in a mini BOS.

Mini BOS recombines the leading entries (winners of the aforementioned flights) and are evaluated to determine the overall winners of the whole category.

Maybe when I get home I'll read through the BJCP rules, but based on what you posted, it sounds to me like the large categories are split and judged and the winners of those flights are judged again to determined an overall set of winners.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #63
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts

Hey Yoop, I'm sorry to hear about your friend passing away and that definitely should be forefront for you now, this stuff can all be worked out later.

As for why it is at two locations, it is not just the idea that people could ship closer to home, but also that no one wanted to deal with 1200 bottles at once, instead it would be two places each dealing with 600 bottles.

So even though it will cause extra shipping it might be best to separate categories by location. That way we can still have 600 entries and have all beers go against each other by category. Otherwise it could be a repeat of last year with only 300 entries allowed, but that would limit the number of people who get feedback on their beer.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 11-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #64
Joe Dragon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
I'm curious, by certified, do you mean they listed having the rank as "certified" or above? Because I'm not counting "recognized" or "apprentice" when I say that they are certified.
All marked as BJCP
All provided BJCP letter/number codes
2 marked as Professional Brewers (one of these marked certified and one recognized)
2 marked as Apprentice
1 marked as recognized
1 with no secondary mark (Google tells me he is well qualified)

Old 11-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #65
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dragon View Post
All marked as BJCP
All provided BJCP letter/number codes
2 marked as Professional Brewers (one of these marked certified and one recognized)
2 marked as Apprentice
1 marked as recognized
1 with no secondary mark (Google tells me he is well qualified)
That's more along the lines of my observations. It looks like 1 or maybe 2 of your 6 were certified by my definition.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #66
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Does anyone just make beer to enjoy it? Do we have to have our heads patted by complete strangers halfway across the country, in something that is SO subjective, it borders on lunacy to even judge it. "But I only do it for the feedback." There are other way's to get feedback. Sometimes, the spirit of competition just goes to damn far.....

This whole mess smacks of the the third grade.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #67
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 369

i refuse to enter this comp unless every judge is a grand master and a lock of Jamil's hair is included in my scoresheet mailing.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #68
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
I'll have to check my score sheets but from what I remember, the vast majority were below the "certified" rank.
Remember, some of the people below 'certified' may only be lacking judging points. We have a guy locally that will be 'national' once he collects a few more points. I don't have any interest in contests myself at this point. When I make a good beer, I drink it. I'm not paying money to someone else to drink it. But that's me. I can get a free second opinion and advice from the 'soon to be' National guy.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #69
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 62

The cure is to do mini best of show rounds for all placing beers from both comps in the BOS comp. All six of the best beer per category in the same place.

I am sad. There are few comps around here. I can't see shipping beers across the country to compete in a with people I have not even communicated with on the internet. Atleast here there is a form of community. But it's not at all like I think there will be many places left after the richer premium members buy them all up.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #70
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroe View Post
But it's not at all like I think there will be many places left after the richer premium members buy them all up.
Dude it's $25, I bet most people spend more on coffee in a month.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply