New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > HBT Homebrew Competition...So Bummed Out!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #31
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't see any reason why reasonable discussion on how to address the problem should cause the thread to be closed. Motobrewer, I've suggested a couple of solutions. If it were just one guy who had a problem with how the judging was to be performed, they would have said "F off Brian, this is how we are going to do it." That the competition was put on hold to reason out these details goes to show that the organizers came to realize the possible problems too and have decided to consider solutions. You seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth motobrewer. First you ask how it's not fair then tell me "life's not fair". Do you honestly not see how the system as described isn't fair? Do I need to come up with a metaphor of the situation for you? How about I submit my beer to be judged by Jamil and you submit your beer to your BMC-swilling uncle? Best score wins.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #32
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
I don't see any reason why reasonable discussion on how to address the problem should cause the thread to be closed.
You asked and answered your own question in the rest of your post.

After awhile none of the posts are reasonable.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 11-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #33
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3850 Times on 2813 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
This one is going to get locked too. That's my prediction....
Not if it stays a reasonable conversation.

I appreciate constructive advice, and I will never "not listen" to good ideas. I am listening. Right now is not a great time for me, but I'm here to listen to constructive input.

We are still discussing this, and we will not be allowing negative posts and namecalling. I ask you to please be respectful of other people's ideas and input, to keep all of the conversations civil.

Otherwise, yes. The thread will be locked and I will have probably had enough by then.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #34
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
You asked and answered your own question in the rest of your post.

After awhile none of the posts are reasonable.
I'm sorry Rob, I guess I fail to see how my post was unreasonable. If my rebutes to the attacks on my views were at any time inappropriate or offensive please let me know and I'll be happy to remove them. I'm simply attempting to explain my viewpoint. I would be interested to know your views on the subject as well.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 11-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #35
Homercidal

Recipes 

Liked 1651 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Well, I'm easy. Like I said, I am not in it for the prizes (I know where I stand in relation to MANY other brewers on this site) and just hoped for some good, honest feedback from qualified and experienced judges.

The only thing I really care about is my own score. This I can use to tweak my methods and recipes. But if I win a prize, I'm going to keep it!

I can see why some would have a problem with the way the rules were set up, but I think there can be a way to address them. If this were just another comp, I'd say who cares. But I've been waiting a long time for this year's HBT comp!

That said, I'd rather pass on this than cause bad feelings between those I consider good people and good friends.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #36
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
There you go, Cat! And I've personally sampled some of remilard's beer so I know what you're up against!

I know I told him, but the IIPA he had at NHC was one of the finest beers I've been handed. That'd be a tough one to beat.
Thanks!

Old 11-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #37
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 5730 Times on 5097 Posts
Likes Given: 568

I apologize my what may sound like an ignorant question, but how is having, say, 50 APA's tasted by 5 judges in California, and 50 APA's tasted by 5 judges in New York, with the Top-X number from CA and Top-Y number from NY moving on to a BOS any different than all 100 APA's tasted by 10 judges in Nebraska where the top-Z number move on to best of show?

Old 11-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #38
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
...BMC-swilling uncle?
I know you are just exaggerating, but we are talking about BJCP judges overseen by a Head BJCP judge. Do you really think that two calibrated teams of BJCP judges are so far off from one another to warrant this level of concern? Even if you get knocked out in the first round, you still have at least 3 judges that independently try your beer.

I understand that the competition isn't entirely fair or that there are competitions that do it more fairly. Of course, those competitions are much more expensive, you have to wait longer for feedback, and they aren't powered by the people who help you make your beer. I didn't get to enter last year, and was looking forward to having double the volume of entrants this year. It's too bad that double the volume is precisely what caused it to seem unfair.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #39
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 5730 Times on 5097 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Here's a suggestion, and while it may not be popular, I think it's still a valid one.

The Regional Comps for the 2011 National Homebrew Competition are usually held in April.

Maybe push the HBT comp back to the fall of 2011? That's one of the reason's I likd the 2009 comp - it was held at a time where there didn't seem to be a lot of BJCP comps going on.

I know in April I'll be submitting to the SW NHC, as well as (presumably) the 2011 Great Arizona Hombrew Competition....

Just speaking from the Southwest US, it seems there are a fair amount of comps in the spring if you want BJCP feedback....

Old 11-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #40
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Recipes 

Liked 339 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Just now, my phone rang. My daughter called to tell me that one of my friend's husband's died last night suddenly, of an apparent heart attack. So instead of thinking about silly things, I'm going out to my cottage to do some deer hunting after work, and then I'll be seeing what my friend needs. I'll be attending my friend's funeral in a few days. Life is too short. I already miss my friend, Chuck, who was a fine upstanding Christian man and a rock for so many. He was the director of our church camp, and a former missionary to the Sudan.

I'm not even thinking about the competition for at least a few days.
I'm really sorry to hear this, Yoop. Don't even think about any competitions until you're ready.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply