Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > HBT BJCP Sanctioned Homebrew Contest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #141
ohiobrewtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Opening registration to paying members first is ok with me. Let me give it a bit more thought, just to make sure that it's what we want to do.
I don't want to sound like an EAC, but given the BOS prize it certainly bears some consideration.

IMO, this should be open to all members who have been members for a minimum of 3 or 6 months. Requiring some (yet to be determined) level of minimal activity could be pursued as well, but would be a bit arbitrary and difficult to define..

Active is debatable - JZ has 1 or 2 posts here - does that mean that he's eligible to enter?

What's to stop someone who randomly hears about it from signing up for an account on 9/14 and sending in 20 beers, thusly taking 20 spots away from members who have been contributing for years?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #142
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4475 Times on 3256 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
I don't want to sound like an EAC, but given the BOS prize it certainly bears some consideration.

IMO, this should be open to all members who have been members for a minimum of 3 or 6 months. Requiring some (yet to be determined) level of minimal activity could be pursued as well, but would be a bit arbitrary and difficult to define..

Active is debatable - JZ has 1 or 2 posts here - does that mean that he's eligible to enter?

What's to stop someone who randomly hears about it from signing up for an account on 9/14 and sending in 20 beers, thusly taking 20 spots away from members who have been contributing for years?
Well, I can safely guess that JZ won't be entering, but I do see your point!

We'll be opening registration in June, and the entries will be due in September, so that's a longer term proposition. I'll plan on opening registration for paying supporters first, and then open to all HBTers on a first paid, first registered, basis. I hope that I could be trusted to use some judgement on this and will keep an eye out for "unknown" posters.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #143
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post

There have been plenty of competitions that offer as good or better prizes and don't get that many entries. Last years cascade cup had a conical with sanitary fittings as BOS prize (~$800), 2nd was a boilermaker, and 3rd was a kegging setup and they have about 160ish entries. This year they had other good prizes and there were right around 200 entries.

300 entries is a lot and I'd be surprised if there were that many. I hope to eat my words, since 300 entries would be great. I think it would take a few years to get to be that big.

If I have funds left in my competition allowance when the time comes I'd probably send in a few entries

Old 04-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #144
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Well, I can safely guess that JZ won't be entering, but I do see your point!

We'll be opening registration in June, and the entries will be due in September, so that's a longer term proposition. I'll plan on opening registration for paying supporters first, and then open to all HBTers on a first paid, first registered, basis. I hope that I could be trusted to use some judgement on this and will keep an eye out for "unknown" posters.
This seems like an extreme amount of time for registrations to be open. The typical window for a competition is 2-3 weeks long

Old 04-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #145
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
This seems like an extreme amount of time for registrations to be open. The typical window for a competition is 2-3 weeks long
Maybe. But I have limited time, and work full time right now. This is no way I could get all the entries marked paid, assign numbers, give out the shipping info to the entrants in 2-3 weeks, get the info to the judges (about 800 miles away) and have it done well. Doing it all via the internet makes things a bit different. I'd much rather spread it out, and do a few entries at a time instead of killing myself trying to do it.

I'll post the rules and prize list in the beginning June, and then we'll decide when registration will open.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #146
malachai24
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
It's possible that this could be a quick sell out. Any thought on opening it up to paying members for a couple of days before going to the general membership?
I currently am not a paying member here, but this obviously would be one reason to become one. Not sure what I am waiting for, as this site has provided me with so much knowledge, and has easily paid for itself. Thanks HBT, and thanks for putting together this together, Yooper!

Old 04-08-2009, 11:21 PM   #147
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Maybe. But I have limited time, and work full time right now. This is no way I could get all the entries marked paid, assign numbers, give out the shipping info to the entrants in 2-3 weeks, get the info to the judges (about 800 miles away) and have it done well. Doing it all via the internet makes things a bit different. I'd much rather spread it out, and do a few entries at a time instead of killing myself trying to do it.

I'll post the rules and prize list in the beginning June, and then we'll decide when registration will open.
Might I suggest forgetting about the numbers and handling it more like a normal competition but with two organizers. You would be the registrant and take all of the information and the organizer on site will receive and process the entries. Upon receipt they assign a unique number to each entry with a circle sticker on the bottle top and note somewhere the mapping (google spreadsheet would work well for this if there isnt a custom app that already is assigning numbers).

IMHO there really needs to be someone on site with the knowledge of all the entry info in case of a mixup they can sort it out.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #148
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Might I suggest forgetting about the numbers and handling it more like a normal competition but with two organizers. You would be the registrant and take all of the information and the organizer on site will receive and process the entries. Upon receipt they assign a unique number to each entry with a circle sticker on the bottle top and note somewhere the mapping (google spreadsheet would work well for this if there isnt a custom app that already is assigning numbers).

IMHO there really needs to be someone on site with the knowledge of all the entry info in case of a mixup they can sort it out.
The person receiving the entries will have the responsibility of simply looking at the registration form (attached with a rubber band) and store the beer appropriately. The numbers will be assigned by me when the registration fees are paid. It'll be on a spreadsheet, with the correct information so the scoresheets can be send out. Ohiobrewtus might be able to help me out with a way to easily do this- we'll see! Otherwise, it's no trouble but it might take me more than a week to register every one.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #149
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:

You might be surprised as to when entries come in. I've never seen a trickle, but a flood. While most (if not all) of the registrations may come in as soon as registration opens, the actual beer won't show up until the last week or so before the entry deadline. Brewers, simply, do not like to give up their babies any earlier than they have to. Also, with the long period between registration opening and entries due, a good number of the entries may only be brewed about the time registration opens.

Plus, since you have about a three month delay between when registration opens and when entries must be submitted, many of the entries may not even be brewed until about the time registration opens. When an entrant first pays the fee, does that entrant have to specify the style at the time?

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 04-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #150
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
You might be surprised as to when entries come in. I've never seen a trickle, but a flood. While most (if not all) of the registrations may come in as soon as registration opens, the actual beer won't show up until the last week or so before the entry deadline. Brewers, simply, do not like to give up their babies any earlier than they have to. Also, with the long period between registration opening and entries due, a good number of the entries may only be brewed about the time registration opens.

Plus, since you have about a three month delay between when registration opens and when entries must be submitted, many of the entries may not even be brewed until about the time registration opens. When an entrant first pays the fee, does that entrant have to specify the style at the time?

TL
You're right! I guess I was thinking that registration would be about the same time as the date that the rules are posted, along with how to register. That's not the same thing at all. The rules will be posted, and the prize list will be posted, and the registration window will come later. Thanks for pointing out my error!

Quick Reply