HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > HBT 2011 Competition - call for judges and stewards

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
ohiobrewtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default HBT 2011 Competition - call for judges and stewards

As most of you are probably aware of by now, the 2011 HBT homebrew competition judging is taking place on Saturday, 3/26. I am the competition organizer and head judge for the east region (everyone east of the Mississippi River), and I would like to open both steward and judging spots to HBT members in OH and the surrounding states who are willing to participate and assist in making this competition run as smoothly as possible.

As I mentioned above, the judging will take place on Saturday, March 26th. This competition is being hosted by The Hops Shack homebrew store, 1687 Marion Road, Bucyrus, OH 44820.

We need both stewards and judges. For those that may not know, a steward brings beers out to the judges, collects score sheets, verifies that the total score on a score sheet matches the scores given in all 5 sections (verifying the math of the judges), and a few other misc. other things such as refilling water and crackers/bread for the judges as necessary. A steward is sort of the 'waiter' for a BJCP competition. For your service, you get to sample any beers that remain after judging, and you can receive BJCP points toward certification.

I will accept any and all submissions to judge, but I will give preference to BJCP certified judges over all other requests and will only place non-BJCP certified judges in the event that we are unable to fill all necessary judging slots with BJCP judges. Any non-BJCP judges assigned to judge will be paired with the most senior judges also participating in the competition.

Bucyrus, OH is roughly 1 hour from the north side (Polaris) of Columbus. Roughly 3 hours from Cincinnati, a bit over 2 hours from Cleveland and probably 1-1.5 hours from Toledo.

If you are interested in participating in this competition, please send me a PM with your real name and a valid email address. If you get a message that my PM box is full, please wait and resend your message the next day. I will check and clear my PM box at least once each day.

It would be great to finally meet some of you in person, and even cooler to meet you at the HBT competition!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

I forgot to mention that the first judging flight is tentatively scheduled to start at 10 am, followed by a lunch. The 2nd flight will start between 2-3pm and will be followed by dinner. Yes, a portion of your entry fees pay to feed the volunteers that make this competition possible.

Hotels are available in both Bucyrus (10 minute drive from The Hops Shack) and Marion (30 minute drive from The Hops Shack).

There may or may not be some activities for participants in Marion after the competition is over.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Bump

I received a PM from someone in the Columbus area, but I've lost your user name and don't know how to get in touch with you, so hopefully that person sees this.

If anyone else in Ohio is interested in participating, please let me know.

Quick Reply