Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > First Homebrew Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
ryscott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Homebrew Competition

I was hoping to enter my first homebrew competition with a Honey Brown Ale that I just bottled last week. However, when I was bottling I completely forgot that the rules of the competition say (2) 10-16 ounce bottles, and I bottled using only 22 ounce bottles. Any recommendations for what I should do? Do you think they would accept one or two 22 ounce bottles instead?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

You can ask the organizer if they will accept them. Some smaller competitions will let things like that slide. Uniform bottles are important for comps because its easiest to load up cases with normal bottles and stack them rather than having a few odd sized bottles in the mix. Also a 22oz bottle in a sea of 12oz bottles sure sticks out and would make it easier for a judge to identify that its your bottle if they knew in advance to expect it.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I think most of the time they will just disqualify you. They don't like to mess with stuff like that. And Bokonon is right, it will make you stand out from the rest (especially if you told a judge before), which is exactly why they don't want you to use them, and why you will probably be disqualified.

Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

Old 07-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Double check the rules....Make sure it says 12 ounces only...

I just filled out the online app for the Michigan State Fair Competition, They allow any size between 12 and 22 ounces.....

I thought I had another 2 weeks, but the deadline to turn in is Saturday.....I'm entering 3 categories (one of the beers twice) I'm enterring my Maibock "STYLE" Ale in the specialty beer category. And I'm enterring my Old Bog Road Brown Ale, in Both the AMer Brown Ale Category and I get to enter it again in their "first timers" category for people who have never enterred the state fair before...

*I can't believe how scared I am.*

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Like Bokonon says, you can ask and see if they'll let you slide but my guess is that they will not allow you to enter 22 oz. bottles if it's clearly stated that entries should be 10-16 oz.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
ryscott
Recipes 

Okay that's what I suspected, guess I'll have to hunt around for one that lets me submit 22 oz. bottles (I'm not from MI so I can't do the one Revvy mentioned).

Old 07-31-2008, 08:09 PM   #7
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
...and I get to enter it again in their "first timers" category for people who have never enterred the state fair before...

*I can't believe how scared I am.*
I know..I feel the same way. I am entering three brews in the MN State Homebrew Contest. This is my first contest submission. I hear it is quite large and I too don't know why, but I nervous about the critique but am also excited to hear an opinion from someone 'in the know'. I have thought my beers of late, in the last couple of years, have been consistently good and take alot of pride in them. Im nervous and excited for their feedback.

On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear

Old 07-31-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBugeater View Post
I know..I feel the same way. I am entering three brews in the MN State Homebrew Contest. This is my first contest submission. I hear it is quite large and I too don't know why, but I nervous about the critique but am also excited to hear an opinion from someone 'in the know'. I have thought my beers of late, in the last couple of years, have been consistently good and take alot of pride in them. Im nervous and excited for their feedback.

I have mine with me to drop off at one of the dropoff sites after work...

I was actually chickenning out last night, and then Rezilynt calmned me down. So I'm going to go for it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply