Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Competition Recipe Requirement

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
2337me
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Competition Recipe Requirement

I'm thinking about entering my first competition and noticed in the rules that those who advance to the 2nd round, must submit their recipe. I wanted to know how others felt about that.

I don't mind sharing most of my recipes but I do have a couple that I have been working on for a few years and those are near and dear to me. I don't believe that you are required to give up recipes in national BBQ or Chili cook offs. Those are guarded secrets and that is how I feel about a couple of my recipes.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well I guess the bottom line is if you are thinking of going pro, and you have a really unique and wonderful recipe, you shouldn't enter it into any contests requiring recipe submission.

I would guess there are a couple reasons why they require a recipe. Among them:
- They want to ensure entrants are not re-bottling commercial brews. A recipe would let them test for claimed ingredients.
- They want to see what trends are emerging in brewing ingredients and recipes
- They want to post great recipes in their magazine and give credit to the brewer

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 03-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If that's the rules of the contest, and I want to enter said contest, then that's what I have to do.....It's rare in brewing contests, but it happens, especially in those where the prize is getting the beer brewed professionally (Like longshot for instance).

Honestly most of us, and even a lot of commercial breweries freely post and share their recipes, hence our huge databse. Brewers, commercial and home are usually a supportive and sharing lot, you don't tend to find a lot of "secrets" in this community. Just the opposite, you find a lot of collaboration and support. You can pretty much email any micro brewery with questions about a beer or even requesting the recipe, and about 95% of the time you'll get a response back from the brewers helping you formulate your clone. A lot of micros (stone comes to mind) pretty much tell you their entire grainbills right on the website.

And honestly there are rarely "unique" beer recipes, if you've thought of it, so has hundreds of other folks more than likely.

Besides contests are really less about the actual recipe, and more about your skills as a brewer. You can have all the brewers brew the same recipe, and all the beers are going to be different. Because it's not the recipe, or the methodology, or even the type of methodolgy (ag/extract/pm) that makes a beer good or crappy, it's the brewer, and their process.

Bottom line, recipes ain't no big deal in this community.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-23-2011, 12:38 AM   #4
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1104

If I ever come up with a recipe that I think is "unique" and "special", the very first thing I am going to do is post it here so that someone else can brew it and hopefully give me some feedback that will make it even better.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If I ever come up with a recipe that I think is "unique" and "special", the very first thing I am going to do is post it here so that someone else can brew it and hopefully give me some feedback that will make it even better.
+1

That's what I usually do.....Here's the last "unique" idea I had.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/ginger-snap-brown-ale-212313/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Anyone with a good palate and brewing experience could clone your recipe in one or two tries. If your that worried about it, don't enter it in a competition.

That being said, I think your taking your recipes a little to seriously.
_

Old 03-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2035 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Bottom line, that's the rules of the competition and if you don't care to share your recipe, don't enter them into the competition.

I could only DREAM of coming up with something unique enough to share with everyone on here. Like as been mentioned before, it would have to be pretty darn unique to not be clone-able by a decent brewer.

I've even had pro brewers give recipe and method advice, or even nearly complete recipes. They realize that it's not the recipe that special, it's how you brew it that can make or break the beer.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

These problems tend to have a way of working themselves out.

I assume you are talking about the NHC. They publish the first place recipes. Frankly, you probably aren't going to get first place. Low risk.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
2337me
Recipes 

You are all correct. It isn't that the recipe is unique, I just spent a few years dialing it in. It could be cloned and the thing I like about this hobby is the collaboration. So, I am probably overthinking this. I just wanted to know how others felt.

I think my biggest concern is that big brewers look for ideas and end up taking home brewers beers and make them commercially (i.e. Long Shot). They distribute and make the bucks. What does the home brewer get other than honorable mention.

Remilard: Thanks for the encouragement man. LOL

Quick Reply