Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > A Brewfest so big you can see it from space Scheid twee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I could do June 5th or 12th... let's settle on a date asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm voting 12th and thinking Lambic

Should build that into the grain buy with the club as NCM is the only place I've seen bulk raw wheat.

Maybe not a full on turbid mash but at least a partial one
I'll re-read that part of the book and come up with something that we can bounce of PTN for approval

Old 05-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #13
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Whoa!!! What the hell are we thinking??? We're sitting here talking about doing lambic when PTN has a Strawberry Port recipe!!! How are we even THINKING about anything else?

Quote:
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:47 AM   #14
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 290 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
Whoa!!! What the hell are we thinking??? We're sitting here talking about doing lambic when PTN has a Strawberry Port recipe!!! How are we even THINKING about anything else?
I don't care for the way the strawberry port came out, to much of an oxidized component for my taste, so we'd better just stick to a lambic.

The 12th will work for me, the weekend of the 5th Spawn1 graduates from grad school so that weekend is out. On that note, I'm headed out to the Finger Lakes the weekend of the 5th and I'll be swinging by Catherine Valley to see Don. I'd like to bring him a couple bottles of the Consecration then if we can get some bottled.

We can do the bulk of the bottling on brew day, take the beer out, wash out the barrel and let it dry. It will be fine to sit empty for a week or two. It takes a lot of people to bottle 60 gallons of anything. We can use my 5 bottle filler to make the job easier, but it still takes a lot of hands. Since everyone will be there that day anyways it makes sense to me to do it that day.

We'll need to figure out a way to get the beer out of the barrel and upstairs. we can pump it out into cornies (we'll need 12 of them) or into some other containers. We need to figure out desired carbonation levels and figure out priming sugar to get there. We need to decide on a yeast for bottling. I want to bottle my share in Belgian style bottles, what do the rest of you want to do? I'm pretty sure I can kimchee rig the floor corker to only put a cork in halfway, then we wire it on.

Food for thought.

PTN

Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #15
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I have a floor corker as well.

If we're gonna do some semblance of a turbid mash we'll have time to get a crew downstairs to bottle avoiding lugging 60 gallons of beer upstairs.
I did a quick read on turbid mash and something like the Wyeast one with a variation or two is probably the way to go.

If we go with unmalted wheat we pretty much have to go with a turbid mash of sorts.
I wholeheartedly vote for turbid.

Maybe we should just use Flaked Wheat and avoid blowing up a mill?
Could just pay the extra to have NCM crush it
LIKE A BOSS

I'd prefer to use raw wheat and we can get that from NCM.
Paul, do you want in on the grain buy?
I think we should add this grain bill to the group buy.

40% unmalted wheat and 60% Pils malt grist?

Are we using another barrel for the Lambic or the Consecration barrel?
A white wine barrel would be nice for this beer.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #16
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

White wine barrels will be next to impossible to come up with. White wine barrels get turned into red wine barrels after a few batches, where they go on to live a long, productive life.

(It NEVER happens the other way. Put a white wine in a red barrel and you and up with funny colored, fatally flawed white wine. Not a rose, either. A rose is a red where the juice is taken off the skins after a few hours, a day or two tops.)

The likelihood of getting someone to part with what is essentially a new barrel, for no money, is about as likely as my getting down to 175# by the 4th of July. It COULD happen but it ain't gonna.

I've got to pass on the grain buy, I'm not brewing enough to make that a smart move. (Really am trying to get in the neighborhood of 175# so my beer/wine intake needs to stay low and my bike mileage needs to stay high. So far my bike mileage is moderate and my beer intake has moderated. A work in progress.)

I don't have a second barrel yet, I'll talk to Don in June and see what he is willing to part with but for now I just have the one that the Consecration is in. I'm okay with either the Consecration or a lambic, but whatever we put back in the barrel, that barrel is forever inoculated with what's in there now and any beer that goes in there will get vaccinated with all those bugs.

PTN

Edited to add that the more Consecration (or any other 'off the beaten path' beer that I'm able to bring out there with me in June adds to the likelihood of catching another barrel gratis.)

Old 05-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #17
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm ok with doing a turbid mash if we go the lambic route.

PTN

Old 05-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Lets just start here:

Quote:
(Put a white wine in a red barrel and you and up with funny colored, fatally flawed white wine. Not a rose, either. A rose is a red where the juice is taken off the skins after a few hours, a day or two tops.)

Quote:
White wine barrels will be next to impossible to come up with. White wine barrels get turned into red wine barrels after a few batches, where they go on to live a long, productive life.

The likelihood of getting someone to part with what is essentially a new barrel, for no money, is about as likely as my getting down to 175# by the 4th of July. It COULD happen but it ain't gonna.

I've got to pass on the grain buy, I'm not brewing enough to make that a smart move. (Really am trying to get in the neighborhood of 175# so my beer/wine intake needs to stay low and my bike mileage needs to stay high. So far my bike mileage is moderate and my beer intake has moderated. A work in progress.)

I don't have a second barrel yet, I'll talk to Don in June and see what he is willing to part with but for now I just have the one that the Consecration is in. I'm okay with either the Consecration or a lambic, but whatever we put back in the barrel, that barrel is forever inoculated with what's in there now and any beer that goes in there will get vaccinated with all those bugs.

PTN

Edited to add that the more Consecration (or any other 'off the beaten path' beer that I'm able to bring out there with me in June adds to the likelihood of catching another barrel gratis.)
I can get you some NHC Northeast Regional Blue Ribbon Dopplebock if you think that will help the cause?
How about a bottle of that Cyser?

Quote:
I'm ok with doing a turbid mash if we go the lambic route.

PTN
Im for the Turbid too, North Country will crush the raw wheat for us.

That makes 3 of us down with the turbid mash
FWIW, looks like its just the three of us.............. or at least the three of us have time to feck around on a beer forum.............

Old 05-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #19
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by babalu87 View Post

I can get you some NHC Northeast Regional Blue Ribbon Dopplebock if you think that will help the cause?
How about a bottle of that Cyser?
Every little bit will help. I figure we should each throw 3-4 750's of the Consecration to Don for giving us the barrel. Plus I'm going to stop at Julio's on the way out and pick up a variety of brews that he can't get out there. If anyone wants to help grease the wheels that would be great.

PTN

Old 05-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #20
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Think the Consecration is ready for bottling?

Its gonna dry out in the bottle anyway right?

Not adding priming sugar, just bottling correct?

Quick Reply