Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > A Brewfest so big you can see it from space.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #21
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you want a Flanders type beer 1.060 is about as high as you can go. Otherwise the alcohol from primary ferment will prevent that sucker from souring one bit. It'll be a horse stable for sure but not that wonderful heavenly sourness you get from a Flanders. I think your recipe will be kick-***. Personally, I'd much rather have the full on complexity of this brew than a horse stable quad which just drowns you in alcohol.

Check in with Vinnie over at RR if you want to know what is in his. I haven't had it so I don't know, but your recipe looks like a killer Flanders Red...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #22
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Liked 405 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I've had the higher ABV in my head from looking at the ABV in Consecration... which is what started this whole thiing in the first place and that comes in at 10.5%. Not having tried it since PTN decided to just drink all of what he brought home himself, I'm simply going by it's description and by it's decription... I don't think it is a Flanders Red.

It sounds much more like a lower ABV quad with whatever sour they could ring out of the bugs and then the currants and wine barrel adding character.

I'm a HUGE Flanders Red and wickit sohwa beah fan... so if we want to just brew a flanders, great, I'm on board but I thought we were shooting for something a little different.... and again... when I think "barrel-aging"... I think big beers but that is easily some sort of mental deficiency on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #23
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

OK I haven't had it either though that should change next week when I stumble into San Francisco... carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 05-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #24
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
OK I haven't had it either though that should change next week when I stumble into San Francisco... carry on.
Cool!!! By admitting that you're going to try it next week, you're now officially on the hook for helping with the recipe!! You've gotta help me get PTN off the five gallons of sour blueberry belgian wit he wants to make.

freakin' blueberries...

Quote:

Old 05-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #25
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Based on a few minutes of quick Google-fu and picking through BLaM, Consecration sounds like a straight forward BDSA that has been aged in barrels where you get the influence of Brettanomyces, Pediococcus and Lactobacillus.

Vinnie doesn't mention Consecration specifically in BLaM but Temptation is fermented with WLP510. Sounds like a good place to start.

Last edited by flyangler18; 05-26-2009 at 05:58 PM.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #26
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Cool... thanks flyangler.

I'm going to fiddle in Beersmith tonight and come up with something more along with what I had in my head and I think the Belgian dark strong was certainyl where I was coming from.

...and Paul... just freakin' tell the hospital that you have effin swing flu or something!

i'm even taking the Friday off before Father's Day and have now officially made it a three-day brewing weekend.

I have three sanke's and six carboys lined up to be empty by that weekend.... and I'm planning on filling most, if not all of those bad boys.

... but NO NO... I'll find ANOTHER weekend to host all sorts of brewers AND keep the barrel at my place because God knows we can't affect PTN's precious Pink Zin... all so YOUR little schedule doesn't get inconvenienced.

If they don't buy the swine flu... just come over and I'll hit you with my truck.

Quote:

Old 05-27-2009, 06:48 AM   #27
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 254 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post

... but NO NO... I'll find ANOTHER weekend to host all sorts of brewers AND keep the barrel at my place because God knows we can't affect PTN's precious Pink Zin... all so YOUR little schedule doesn't get inconvenienced.
Why IS it that EVERY SINGLE time I talk to you I flash to this visual?

OK, listen up, Fruit of my Loins. I'm only going to say this once.

Awww crap, who am I kidding? We both know you rode the short bus for your entire life and leaving the house without a helmet is not in your best intrests. I'll be repeating myself on this subject too. Here goes, I'll go real slow so you can keep up...

Just

because

you

have

a

silly

little

idea

in

your

mis-shapped

punkin'

don't

make

it

that

way!

I don't know where you came up with the idea that we were talking about the beer equivalant of Barry Bonds. Maybe cause I was near San Fransisco? I don' know? But just because it is in a freakin' barrel doesn't mean it needs to strip the paint off cars. The Consecration that started this conversation is much closer to a Flanders Red than it is to the freakin' HGH injected Belgian Arnold the Govornator beer that you seem to want to make.

Did you go by Yankee and buy a bottle of the Duchess like I told you to? If you did, imagine that same beer after a year in a wine barrel.

Oh, wait, did you have to stay home and change diapers? Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's ok! I get it. I remember how you fought your mother and I about potty training. Remember your Aunt Barbara's wedding? No, of course you don't, because you absolutely refused to go to the bathroom before getting in the limo and you dropped the "Duece of all Dueces" in your brand new suit trousers standing there on the stairs of St Flo's. Oh ,I'm sorry I brought up that couch moment of yours. Really, you weren't responsible for Monsignor Cotter keeling over dead right then. It didn't have anything to do with that cloud of toxic waste drifting out from your knickers. Really! He was wicked old. He was probably going to die anyways.

So we can do this. Together! We can! We can make a decent, tasty, BALANCED beer. Together. Really we can! Just let go. Trust me. Trust your Daddy. It's like that time up at Winnapasaukee. Just close your eyes and jump off the off the dock. I'm standing there in waist deep water and I'll catch you. And if your Uncle Mark tosses me a Bud Light just as you get airborne, this time I'll ignore it. I promise! I can resist the siren call of St Louis. And after all, you were only without air for 5 minutes. It's not like it you went to go visit the Monsignor in heaven or sumptin...

So to get back on topic. No, we're not talking about making the Governator Beer. If you want some bulked up steroid freak to rock your world just keep hanging out in the back room at the Ramrod. I'm looking to make good beer. The only sentence in this thread that is relevant is the one where I told you to go try the Duchess. Do that then get back to me.

PTN

Want to win the coolest trophy in Homebrewing? Come to Masstoberfest. September 27, 2014

Follow my Wood Fired Oven Build Thread here

Last edited by paulthenurse; 05-27-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #28
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jump. Brian! Jump!

Want to win the coolest trophy in Homebrewing? Come to Masstoberfest. September 27, 2014

Old 05-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #29
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've got you, son. Really!

Dad

Old 05-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #30
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Paul... I can see how you get easily confused at your age.

This is exactly how the conversation has gone...

Paul: "Hey Bri... I had the a beer that was one of the best beers I've ever had. It was Consecration by Russian River"

Brian: "Wow Paul... that sounds great. Hey, it just so happens that I'm going to be flying solo for Father's Day weekend and I'm going to be doing a ton a brewing. We should see if we can organize a group brew and drop it in a barrel."

Paul: "Yeah! That would be great, we can use a five gallon barrel I have!"

Brian: "Umm.. yeah.. Paul, I was thinking about a real barrel. Let me look at Russian River's website and see how they describe Consecration since I've never had it. Hmm... a STRONG DARK BELGIAN ALE OF 10.5% aged in a cab sav barrel with bugs and currants for six months. "

Paul: "Hey... I made up this great recipe!!! It's basically a lambic at 5.6% with blueberries in it!!! Ehhhhh???? Whatta ya think!?!?"

Brian: "Gee Paul, that's really not what the description sounds like... I was thinking a bigger beer... you know... like.. I dunno... 10.5%... like Consecration"

Paul: "BOO HOOO HOOO!! RANT RANT RANT!! THAT'll STRIP PAINT OFF CARS! I CAN'T DRINK A CASE OF THAT AT ONE TIME!!! CRY CRY CRY!!"

And a beer of 10% can't be "balanced"!?!?! Are you freakin' serious???

How's this... let's get two small barrels... you can do you're little blueberry lambic jug o' crap and I'll make a real beer and then we'll have a taste test with anyone on HBT that cares to judge?

Yes... I am openly challenging you're man-hood in front of anyone that is reading this thread.

Quote:

Quick Reply