Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > A Brewfest so big you can see it from space.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 219 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default A Brewfest so big you can see it from space.

So my surrogate son (Cape Brewing) and I have been kicking an idea around since I got home from Californina. We're both big fans of Belgian beers and I was waxing poetic about Russian River Brewery's Consecration that I had while in Santa Rosa and the spark caught. It was a frightening moment, we were both thinking the same thing at the same time and we both knew that the other was thinking the same thing. The Consecration is Belgian sour beer stored in used Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. It is one of my favorite beers of all time, I seriously considered cancelling the rest of our trip thru CA so I could stay close to Santa Rosa and drink Consecration on tap for the remainder of our time there. But love of wife won out over love of beer, so I left Santa Rosa and Russian River behind. Behind but not forgotten.

So I get home and I'm thinking, and I'm thinking, and I'm thinking. "I have a small 5 gallon barrel that has turned on me, I can use that. But it's only 5 gallons and it is going to have to sit in there for 18 months or so. That's ok but then I'll have to wait another 18 months for another batch. Nah, that's no good. I need to think big... Think big...How about using a bigger barrel? I can't use my wine barrels, I have the Mass Winemakers Coop wine going into them next weekend. Ok, so buy a used barrel and fill that up... A sixty? By myself? Nah, Alice will kill me... Who do I know that is stupid enough to jump in with me on this.... MY BOY!!!!!! Hey Brian, I've got an idea you are jsut gonna love!!!!"

So I float a trial balloon by Brian and it's barely inflated before we're off and running. This thing has developed faster than any really over the top idea I've ever been involved in. So here goes...

We're going to pitch in and buy a used 60 gallon wine barrel and make our own. That should last us till we have another batch ready to go.

Here's my recipie so far, 60 gallon numbers on left, 5 gallon numbers on right.

72# 2 Row.................6#
36# Wheat................3#
9# Vienna.................12 oz
9# Crystal 40.............12 oz
3# Special B...............4 oz

18 oz Hallertaur...........1.5 oz Hallertaur for 90 minutes.

115*F x 15 minutes
126*F x 30 minutes
149*F x 30 minutes
162*F x 30 minutes
175*F x 5 minutes

Sparge to collect 80 gallons and boil down to 60. That should give us an OG of 1.060, a FG of 1.015, 17 IBU's, 5.8% ABV and an SRM of 12. All pretty much within parameters for a Flanders Red.

For yeast I'm thinking we use Wyeast 3278 Belgian Lambic and 3522 Belgian Ardennes for the primary, then we will add 5335 (Lactobacillus), 5112 (Brettanomyces Bruxellus) and 5526 (Brettanomyces Lambicus) to the barrel for the post primary ferment party.

We're also seriously considering adding currents, elderberrys, blueberries and cranberries to the barrel.

What do you guys think? I'm figuring it's be one hell of a brewfest. Who's onboard?

PTN

Want to win the coolest trophy in Homebrewing? Come to Masstoberfest. September 27, 2014

Follow my Wood Fired Oven Build Thread here

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 06:44 AM   #2
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't think you're going to have a FG of 1.015

Old 05-26-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
theonecynic
Recipes 

Well, I don't know anything about the beer, but SUBSCRIBED!
This sounds really exciting, any chance of some pictures?

Barrel 1: Empty
Barrel 2: Empty
Barrel 3: Riggwelter Clone - Conditioning
Barrel 4: Empty
Barrel 5: Empty
Barrel 6: Leaky
Bottled: None

Old 05-26-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
I don't think you're going to have a FG of 1.015

Why do you think that? The 3278 attenuates to around 75% then the Brett and the Lactobacillus will really dry it out. I actually thought it might go lower than that after the time in the barrel.

Want to win the coolest trophy in Homebrewing? Come to Masstoberfest. September 27, 2014

Old 05-26-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
Why do you think that? The 3278 attenuates to around 75% then the Brett and the Lactobacillus will really dry it out. I actually thought it might go lower than that after the time in the barrel.
Yeah that's the thing. With the brett, lacto and relatively low mashing it's going to go drier than 1.015.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ahh I see, I misunderstood you, I thought you were saying we'd be higher than that and that just didn't compute with me. I agree, like I said I think we'll end up dryer, but I plugged the numbers into two different calculators and they were within points of each other so that's what I went with.

I'm thinking that I might need to get some bigger dextrins and carbs in there, either by raising the mash temp or by adding more crystal, etc. The last Lambic I did I added a few pounds of cherries after 6 months in the carboy and left everything in there till the end, pits included. That gave it a wonderful additional boost.

Thoughts?

PTN

Old 05-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I believe cherry pips, along with the rest of the stonefruits, contain hydrogen cyanide. Smells and tastes like almonds but it's not very good for you!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

A little cyanide never hurt anyone.

And cyanide or not, that beer won a bronze at the New England Regionals. Maybe that says something about the judges?

PTN

Last edited by paulthenurse; 05-26-2009 at 12:17 PM.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

Looks great to me. Yeah, it'll dry out to 0 if you give it time. Your alcohol seems right in the sweet spot too. I would love to try this beast

What's tappening? :D

Old 05-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Once my boy gets out of the house and on the train perhaps he can chime in but I'm thinking we put this baby on the docket for late June/early July. We can brew it at my place and have the requisite brew party there but we MUST store it at his place. There is NO WAY IN HELL I'm intentionally storing a barrel full of Brett and Lactobacillus in my cellar, right next to my wine barrels. No Sir, ain't gonna happen.

Hey Brian, we can store the barrel under your Brewstrocity. That thing never gets used anyways, it's not like the heat will bother the beer.

PTN

Quick Reply