Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > BJCP HBT Homebrew Competition (USA only)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4366 Times on 3174 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Default BJCP HBT Homebrew Competition (USA only)

I've got the rules ready for the competition, so that everybody can brew according to the rules. If there are any questions, please ask! Registration will open in August, so start brewing now and putting entries aside! The prize list will be posted on or around June 1.

2009 HBT Homebrew Competition
RULES AND REGULATIONS
Any member of HBT may enter. No minimum length of membership, or minimum number of posts will be required; however, the competition will open approximately 5 days early for premium/lifetime supporters to register.
No more than one entry may be made per sub-category. In categories with no sub categories, only one entry per category will be accepted. Beer only will be judged in this contest.
All entries will be judged on an individual basis – judging score sheets will be mailed back to each entrant.
Each entry shall consist of (2) two 10-12 oz. bottles. No swingtops, or plastic (PET) bottles; only crown capped bottles (except for Belgian styles, which may be corked and wired).
Bottles may be brown or green glass, and should be free of any labels, or any other identifying marks. Bottle caps must be either plain or blacked out with a magic marker.
All entries must be brewed at home. No commercial operation or equipment may be used. All entries become the property of Homebrewtalk.com.
It is the entrant’s responsibility to enter his or her beer in the proper category, as specified in the new 2008 BJCP “Style Guidelines.” No entry will be reclassified. For additional
details refer to the guidelines at the BJCP website.
Entries in some categories/sub-categories need to specify special ingredients and/or classic style information on the entry form and bottle labels. Entries in 16E, 17F, 20, 21, 22, and 23 all may require additional information. If this information is not provided on the entry form blank where appropriate, the entry will be disqualified.
An entry fee of ($5.00) five dollars shall be paid for the first entry and $3 for each additional entry registered at the same time. Paypal is preferred. Checks may be accepted, but check with the contest organizer first. For additional entries after the first fees have been paid, it will be $5.00 for this entry, and $3 for each additional entry at the same time. There will be a maximum of 300 entries. When 300 entries have been registered, registration will close. To enter, PM Yooperbrew for the correct form and paypal information, which will come via email. YOU MUST PROVIDE A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS. When the fees are paid, a form will be emailed to the entrant to attach to the bottles securely with either a rubber band or masking tape. They will be given an ID number, and that is the number that should be placed on this form. No names or other identifying data should be provided. They will be given the address for the submission. Do NOT use the USPS- that is illegal. Use an alternate carrier. Pack well- no refunds can be given due to damaged entries/lost entries/undelivered entries.
Entry deadline is Saturday, September 5, 2009. Entries must be received at the judging area by Saturday, September 19, 2009. Judging date is October 3, 2009. Late
entries will not be judged or returned.
Ribbons will be awarded for 1, 2, and 3 place winners in each category. Categories may be compressed/combined at the discretion of the organizer and Head Judge. Categories with few entries may be combined with other similar categories for judging purposes. Entries scoring less than 30 points (out of 50) may not be eligible for an award based on the discretion of the judges. All decisions are final.
A Brewmaster Award will be given to the entrant with the highest number of points.
Points for the Brewmaster Award are earned as follows:
1st place = 3 points,
2nd place = 2 points,
3rd place = 1 point (points are not awarded for the BOS round)
11. A BOS prize will be awarded.
12. The decision of the judges is final.
13. All named prizes will be awarded.
14. To receive the named prize, winners will be notified of their winning place via a PM on HBT. They then have 3 days to post the recipe in the recipe database, or forfeit the prize. The prize will then be awarded to the next in line.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoopernatrix View Post
Registration will open in August . . . To enter, PM Yooperbrew for the correct form and paypal information, which will come via email.
To enter do we request the form now and send it after registration opens? Or will the form not be available until after registration opens in August?
That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
To enter do we request the form now and send it after registration opens? Or will the form not be available until after registration opens in August?
The form will be available when registration opens. Once I get the paypal payment (or the arrangements for a check), I'll email the form. I'll assign each person a number, so that the judges don't know who is entering, and where the entries are from. I'll keep the names, HBT IDs, and addresses on a spread sheet, to keep track of the entries.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hey Yooper...natrix

I'm so in for this, really looking forward to sending in a few of what I'll have stored away plus maybe brewing a batch or two especially for this contest.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Hey Yooper...natrix

I'm so in for this, really looking forward to sending in a few of what I'll have stored away plus maybe brewing a batch or two especially for this contest.
Good! We have some great prizes, so I think it'll be a worthwhile contest. I'm going to see if I have anything worthy to enter, and try to brew something special for it, just so I can win one of those prizes!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think I might jump into this, too!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb View Post
I think I might jump into this, too!
Good! The official prize list will be posted soon- I'm waiting on a couple of vendors to get back to me with their exact donations.

I'm sure that most of you saw that the BOS prize is a Blichmann 20 gallon brew pot, donated by Brewmaster's Warehouse.

There are also some other prizes, like:

Brewmaster’s Award
$500 prize level (not sure yet what he's giving, but that is the general value)
Donated by SuperiorBrew (Bittercreek Homebrew Supply)

Kegging outfit: keg, co2 tank, regulator, disconnects, hoses, picnic faucet
Donated by Austinhomebrew.com

$50 Gift Certificate
Donated by nikobrew.com

2 Ball-lock corny kegs
Donated by Insco2

Tap handle
Donated by Spitfire

Tap handle (coupon for a custom made one!) and discount off any additional order
Donated by FisherWoodcraft

And more! Some $10 gift certificates donated by Nikobrew, too.

So, brew NOW! let's get a great turnout of great beers!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

This is awesome!!!!

How exactly do we ship the beer?

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Bottled - HipHOPapotamus IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - Looking for good Brown or Stout

Old 05-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by histo320 View Post
This is awesome!!!!

How exactly do we ship the beer?
Pack it well, and send it via UPS, FexEx, DHL, etc. You'll be given the address for shipping at registration.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #10
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

YOOPER IS SOOPER! Thanks

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Bottled - HipHOPapotamus IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - Looking for good Brown or Stout