Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > BJCP HBT Homebrew Competition

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #21
Homercidal
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 23,228
Liked 2019 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1106

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
So, is it possible to have a Gluten Free category or do I need enter under Specialty Beer or the style that I brewed the beer to be similar to?
Good Question!
__________________
Homercidal is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #22
Diesel30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: McKinney, Texas
Posts: 23
Default

I think I will have at least one that I will enter, and maybe 2 or 3. This is going to be great. I have never entered a competition before and this will be a great way to find out if anyone else likes my beer as much as I do.

__________________
Diesel30 is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #23
saq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tucson
Posts: 788
Liked 30 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Subscribed.

__________________
saq is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #24
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,655
Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
So, is it possible to have a Gluten Free category or do I need enter under Specialty Beer or the style that I brewed the beer to be similar to?
I'd like to see HBT doing a gluten free category since there are so many gluten free brewers here. If they don't, and they stick with the BJCP guidelines, 23 is the correct category unless you think the judges won't be able to tell it isn't a barley/wheat beer (I've never had a gluten free that wasn't distinctly not a regular beer).

The best gluten free beers I have had have been homebrewed so I think it is an exciting area (St. Peters is the best commercial gluten free I've had).
__________________
remilard is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #25
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 1,043
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
I'd like to see HBT doing a gluten free category since there are so many gluten free brewers here. If they don't, and they stick with the BJCP guidelines, 23 is the correct category unless you think the judges won't be able to tell it isn't a barley/wheat beer (I've never had a gluten free that wasn't distinctly not a regular beer).

The best gluten free beers I have had have been homebrewed so I think it is an exciting area (St. Peters is the best commercial gluten free I've had).
That's some good reasoning and I agree that you can tell they are distinctly different. I will wait to hear from Yooper to see what she says.
__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009
Lcasanova is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #26
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,252
Liked 454 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default



Nothing to add. Just wanted to have this show up in my replies list. Can't wait!
__________________
ChshreCat is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #27
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,585
Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
I'd like to see HBT doing a gluten free category since there are so many gluten free brewers here. If they don't, and they stick with the BJCP guidelines, 23 is the correct category unless you think the judges won't be able to tell it isn't a barley/wheat beer (I've never had a gluten free that wasn't distinctly not a regular beer).

The best gluten free beers I have had have been homebrewed so I think it is an exciting area (St. Peters is the best commercial gluten free I've had).
Hmmmm- that's a great idea! I'll talk to the judges and see.

What's going to be different this year is that those west of the Mississippi will ship to one location, those east of the Mississippi will ship to a different location, so we're actually forced to register two HBT comps. That's why the BOS round will be later, so the top scoring beers get judged together.

As far as the gluten-free, if we do this (which I think we will), it may mean that someone from Kentucky might have two shipments- the "regular" entries to Ohio, and the "gluten free" to Nebraska, since I don't think we'll do GF at both locations. (Or vice-versa- the GF might have to go to Ohio, so a west coast brewer will have two places to send).

Are you guys ok with that? I don't think we'll have enough GF entries to hold a flight at each location.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #28
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AnOldUR's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,093
Liked 548 Times on 399 Posts
Likes Given: 420

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoop View Post
What's going to be different this year is that those west of the Mississippi will ship to one location, those east of the Mississippi will ship to a different location, so we're actually forced to register two HBT comps. That's why the BOS round will be later, so the top scoring beers get judged together.
Confused. I understand the BOS, but how will you get winners in the individual styles and sub categories if they don't go head to head?

Edit:
East and West Coast will have seperate category winner, but only the best of show will be combined?
__________________
AnOldUR is online now
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #29
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,585
Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Confused. I understand the BOS, but how will you get winners in the individual styles and sub categories if they don't go head to head?

Edit:
East and West Coast will have seperate category winner, but only the best of show will be combined?
Correct- the highest scores will advance to the BOS round and they will be combined for judging the BOS. Otherwise, it's scores only for prize levels.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #30
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,487
Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Who gets the better prizes, east coast or west coast?

__________________

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

KingBrianI is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 BJCP Competition Events Mirilis Brewing Events & Local Gatherings 1 03-13-2010 08:22 PM
HBT BJCP Competition Results Yooper Brewing Events & Local Gatherings 227 11-30-2009 04:34 PM
HBT BJCP Sanctioned Homebrew Contest Yooper Brewing Events & Local Gatherings 159 09-29-2009 10:06 PM
BJCP HBT Homebrew Competition (USA only) Yooper Brewing Events & Local Gatherings 63 09-18-2009 03:00 PM
FOAM Cup, BJCP Competition, Tulsa, OK truckmann Oklahoma HomeBrew Forum 0 08-10-2009 09:39 PM