Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > BJCP HBT Homebrew Competition

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #21
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2019 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
So, is it possible to have a Gluten Free category or do I need enter under Specialty Beer or the style that I brewed the beer to be similar to?
Good Question!

Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #22
Diesel30
Recipes 

I think I will have at least one that I will enter, and maybe 2 or 3. This is going to be great. I have never entered a competition before and this will be a great way to find out if anyone else likes my beer as much as I do.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #23
saq
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 10 Posts

Subscribed.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #24
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
So, is it possible to have a Gluten Free category or do I need enter under Specialty Beer or the style that I brewed the beer to be similar to?
I'd like to see HBT doing a gluten free category since there are so many gluten free brewers here. If they don't, and they stick with the BJCP guidelines, 23 is the correct category unless you think the judges won't be able to tell it isn't a barley/wheat beer (I've never had a gluten free that wasn't distinctly not a regular beer).

The best gluten free beers I have had have been homebrewed so I think it is an exciting area (St. Peters is the best commercial gluten free I've had).

Old 11-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #25
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
I'd like to see HBT doing a gluten free category since there are so many gluten free brewers here. If they don't, and they stick with the BJCP guidelines, 23 is the correct category unless you think the judges won't be able to tell it isn't a barley/wheat beer (I've never had a gluten free that wasn't distinctly not a regular beer).

The best gluten free beers I have had have been homebrewed so I think it is an exciting area (St. Peters is the best commercial gluten free I've had).
That's some good reasoning and I agree that you can tell they are distinctly different. I will wait to hear from Yooper to see what she says.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #26
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Nothing to add. Just wanted to have this show up in my replies list. Can't wait!

Old 11-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #27
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Hmmmm- that's a great idea! I'll talk to the judges and see.

What's going to be different this year is that those west of the Mississippi will ship to one location, those east of the Mississippi will ship to a different location, so we're actually forced to register two HBT comps. That's why the BOS round will be later, so the top scoring beers get judged together.

As far as the gluten-free, if we do this (which I think we will), it may mean that someone from Kentucky might have two shipments- the "regular" entries to Ohio, and the "gluten free" to Nebraska, since I don't think we'll do GF at both locations. (Or vice-versa- the GF might have to go to Ohio, so a west coast brewer will have two places to send).

Are you guys ok with that? I don't think we'll have enough GF entries to hold a flight at each location.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #28
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 548 Times on 399 Posts
Likes Given: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoop View Post
What's going to be different this year is that those west of the Mississippi will ship to one location, those east of the Mississippi will ship to a different location, so we're actually forced to register two HBT comps. That's why the BOS round will be later, so the top scoring beers get judged together.
Confused. I understand the BOS, but how will you get winners in the individual styles and sub categories if they don't go head to head?

Edit:
East and West Coast will have seperate category winner, but only the best of show will be combined?

Old 11-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #29
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Confused. I understand the BOS, but how will you get winners in the individual styles and sub categories if they don't go head to head?

Edit:
East and West Coast will have seperate category winner, but only the best of show will be combined?
Correct- the highest scores will advance to the BOS round and they will be combined for judging the BOS. Otherwise, it's scores only for prize levels.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #30
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Who gets the better prizes, east coast or west coast?

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply