New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > BJCP HBT Homebrew Competition

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3854 Times on 2815 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Default BJCP HBT Homebrew Competition

HBT BJCP Contest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011 HBT Homebrew Competition
RULES AND REGULATIONS
Any member of HBT may enter. No minimum length of membership, or minimum number of posts will be required; however, the competition will open approximately 5 days early for premium/lifetime supporters to register.
No more than one entry may be made per sub-category. In categories with no sub categories, only one entry per category will be accepted. Beer only will be judged in this contest.
All entries will be judged on an individual basis – judging score sheets will be mailed back to each entrant.
Each entry shall consist of (3) three 10-12 oz. bottles. Entrants will be sending two bottles initially, and holding the third bottle in reserve for the BOS round. Those advancing to the BOS round will be notified immediately following the first round, and given the address for the BOS round.
No swingtops, or plastic (PET) bottles; only crown capped bottles (except for Belgian styles, which may be corked and wired).
Bottles may be brown or green glass, and should be free of any labels, or any other identifying marks. Bottle caps must be either plain or blacked out with a magic marker.
"Sam Adams" bottles, where the bottle is engraved will be accepted but not preferred.
The BOS round will require one additional bottle, to be submitted following the competition. Entrants will be sending two bottles initially, and holding the third bottle in reserve for the BOS round. Those advancing to the BOS round will be notified immediately following the first round, and given the address for the BOS round.
All entries must be brewed at home. No commercial operation or equipment may be used. All entries become the property of Homebrewtalk.com.
It is the entrant’s responsibility to enter his or her beer in the proper category, as specified in the new 2008 BJCP “Style Guidelines.” No entry will be reclassified. For additional details refer to the guidelines at the BJCP website.
Entries in some categories/sub-categories need to specify special ingredients and/or classic style information on the entry form and bottle labels. Entries in 16E, 17F, 20, 21, 22, and 23 all may require additional information. If this information is not provided on the entry form blank where appropriate, the entry will be disqualified.
An entry fee of ($7.00) seven dollars shall be paid for the first entry and $5 for each additional entry registered at the same time. Paypal is preferred. Checks may be accepted, but check with the contest organizer first. For additional entries after the first fees have been paid, it will be $7.00 for this entry, and $4 for each additional entry at the same time. There will be a maximum of 300 entries in the east, and 300 in the west. When these 300 entries have been registered in each zone, registration will close. To enter, PM Yoop for the correct form and paypal information, which will come via email. YOU MUST PROVIDE A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS. When the fees are paid, a form will be emailed to the entrant to attach to the bottles securely with either a rubber band or masking tape. They will be given an ID number, and that is the number that should be placed on this form. No names or other identifying data should be provided. They will be given the address for the submission. Do NOT use the USPS- that is illegal. Use an alternate carrier. Pack well- no refunds can be given due to damaged entries/lost entries/undelivered entries. When you submit the form, you will be asked to indicate whether you are east or west of the Mississippi River. You must know this, or you will not be allowed to register!
Entry deadline is Saturday, January 22, 2011. Entries must be received at the judging area by Saturday, Fabruary 12, 2010. Judging date is February 26, 2011. Late entries will not be judged or returned.
Ribbons will be awarded for 1, 2, and 3 place winners in each category. Categories may be compressed/combined at the discretion of the organizer and Head Judge. Categories with few entries may be combined with other similar categories for judging purposes. Entries scoring less than 30 points (out of 50) may not be eligible for an award based on the discretion of the judges. All decisions are final.
10. A BOS prize will be awarded. This will be done AFTER the main competition, and those advancing will be advised on where to send their third bottle of the same beer, with the same labeling.
11. The decision of the judges is final.
12. All named prizes will be awarded.
13. To receive the named prize, winners will be notified of their winning place via a PM on HBT. They then have 3 days to post the recipe in the recipe database, or forfeit the prize. The prize will then be awarded to the next in line.
__________________________________________________ ____________

Now, that's the preliminary stuff so you can plan. Registration will open in December, as soon as we get the go-ahead from the BJCP. There will be plenty of advance notification, but please check this thread for details at least weekly!!!!!

PLEASE DO NOT PM ME FOR REGISTRATION INFO AT THIS TIME- IT IS NOT YET AVAILABLE AND MY INBOX IS ALL CLOGGED UP!

I will be glad to answer any questions you have.

Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoop View Post
Each entry shall consist of (3) two 10-12 oz. bottles.
Help a dummy out with this?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:32 AM   #3
JohnnyO
Meh.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 886 Times on 835 Posts
Likes Given: 471

Based upon reading the entire post, it looks as though we should have three bottles (10-12 oz each) available to send. We should send two bottles for the first part. If we're being considered for BOS, we would send the third bottle at that time.

Sound about right, Yoop?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #4
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Help a dummy out with this?
The BOS round will require one additional bottle, to be submitted following the competition. Entrants will be sending two bottles initially, and holding the third bottle in reserve for the BOS round. Those advancing to the BOS round will be notified immediately following the first round, and given the address for the BOS round.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #5
JBrady
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I can't wait for this, it will be my first ever competition

Bottled: Janet's Brown, Session Dry Stout, Yellow Fly Cream Ale

Gallons Brewed In 2011-40

Old 11-17-2010, 01:49 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3854 Times on 2815 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself!

And, I didn't.

Hammy's got it right. Have three bottles ready. Label them all with the format I give you via email. Send two to the address you get with registration. If (when?) you get notifed that you're in the BOS, send that third bottle to the BOS round with the address and info I send you at that time. We're trying to help save shipping costs for unnecessary bottles, as well as saving our poor recipients from TONS of packing materials and bottles. If you remember last year, our head judge's wife almost killed him due to packing material and bottles in his porch, basement, living room, etc. Storing 1800 bottles of beer may be a bigger challenge than most of us can comprehend- as this year we're expanding to 600 entries total.

Anyway, let me know if this isn't clear and I'll try to explain.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Crap! I only saved 2 bottles of my winning recipe! I do have 2 bombers of it in the closet, but that doesn't help.

Plus, I'm living on a houseboat on the Mississippi, so...

Old 11-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
SourHopHead

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Crap! I only saved 2 bottles of my winning recipe!
Bummer. I had 2 beers set aside with only 2 bottles and the keg is done. Guess drink them up this weekend.

FV's- Flanders Red, Munich Helles x2, Apfelwein, Hard Lemonade
SV1- Pumpkin Spice
SV2- Hard Cider
SV3- Empty
Kegs- Green Chili Ale, Watermelon Sour

On Deck: Celebration Ale Clone

"Be Good or Be Gone." EST. 1854
Shazbot Blonde

Old 11-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
ISLAGI
1 beer short of a sixer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Can't wait!!!!

Will the winning recipes be posted again this year?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I can't wait for this!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply