Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Virginia HomeBrew Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f199/)
-   -   So who's taking advantage of the rain and brewing this weekend? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f199/so-whos-taking-advantage-rain-brewing-weekend-315457/)

Snafu 03-23-2012 02:03 PM

So who's taking advantage of the rain and brewing this weekend?
 
If you can't ride the hog, might as well brew eh? Doing BM's Continental Blonde for an easy drinker this weekend. I will be trying out the new HERMS setup I finished last night for the first time. No PID controllers or anything fancy, just a way to circulate mash and maintain temps in the cooler better. Happy brewing!

david_42 03-23-2012 07:10 PM

We might be making a blackberry wheat this weekend. If it turns out to be clear, we will be cutting blackberry canes instead.

Snafu 03-23-2012 07:21 PM

Do you use fresh ones? I have some bushes here that produce some great berries (July) and I plan to use them this year for a blackberry wheat. How do you prepare them? Crushed, par boiled? Secondary.... Never done a fresh berry brew so I haven't looked it up yet.

david_42 03-23-2012 07:28 PM

I freeze them to rupture the cell walls, then thaw and mash them up. I use a big mesh bag to hold them.

I've also got a 25 lb blackberry wine in the cabinet. Three years old and getting good.

Snafu 03-23-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david_42 (Post 3923049)
I freeze them to rupture the cell walls, then thaw and mash them up. I use a big mesh bag to hold them.

I've also got a 25 lb blackberry wine in the cabinet. Three years old and getting good.

placing them in secondary?

D_Ranged_Eskimo 03-23-2012 08:14 PM

Trying out the new grain mill, trying hop bursting for the first time on a sessionable IPA, and trying a 10g batch for the first time. Lots o' firsts.

What are ya brewing up Snafu?

urbanmyth 03-23-2012 08:19 PM

I have my first decoction brew tonight, a SMaSH Munich and Spalt dunkel. Then tomorrow is a schwarzbier. Both are getting split to use different yeasts, Wyeast Kolsch and Wyeast Bohemian Lager. Also building a hop trellis and a bucket mount for my corona mill!

Snafu 03-23-2012 08:20 PM

Doing BM's Centennial Blonde for a "easy drinker". Some days you just need fizzy/yellow. So you doing a low abv IPA? I like the sound of that.

Snafu 03-23-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanmyth (Post 3923234)
I have my first decoction brew tonight, a SMaSH Munich and Spalt dunkel. Then tomorrow is a schwarzbier. Both are getting split to use different yeasts, Wyeast Kolsch and Wyeast Bohemian Lager. Also building a hop trellis and a bucket mount for my corona mill!

Good grief, thats a busy couple of days!

D_Ranged_Eskimo 03-23-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanmyth (Post 3923234)
I have my first decoction brew tonight, a SMaSH Munich and Spalt dunkel. Then tomorrow is a schwarzbier. Both are getting split to use different yeasts, Wyeast Kolsch and Wyeast Bohemian Lager. Also building a hop trellis and a bucket mount for my corona mill!

There might not be enough weekend for that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snafu (Post 3923236)
Doing BM's Centennial Blonde for a "easy drinker". Some days you just need fizzy/yellow. So you doing a low abv IPA? I like the sound of that.

Looking at 5.6% (that's if I hit the projected 72% efficiency mark). I want something that's not gonna skunk me after 1-2 beers, but with a punch you in the face and bring you back for another round of hop beating flavor. Going to try a Magnum for 60/30 min additions, and cascade/ahtanum for 20/15/10/5/0 additions and see what happens.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.