BrewHardware Giveaway- Winners Drawn - 24 hours to claim!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Virginia HomeBrew Forum > Jay's
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2014, 02:21 AM   #11
Nautalus01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 11
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Thats what i was thinking. Its worth the extra drive time.


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

__________________
Nautalus01 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #12
banesong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
banesong's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern, va
Posts: 1,136
Liked 173 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautalus01 View Post
Thats what i was thinking. Its worth the extra drive time.


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
Derek/MyLHBS is my go to shop. Sometimes run out of things, but I buy lots from him.
__________________

Primary: Lots, varies
Secondary: None
Bottled/Conditioning: Belgian Golden, American Pale, Apfelwien

banesong is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 04:54 AM   #13
kharper6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 315
Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Not a fan of MyLHBS. Price gouging on a lot of things (pretty standard northern virginia MO). I buy there because I have to sometimes.

I'd much rather go to Jay's, but he doesn't carry very much in terms of ingredients. Pretty good on the malts but the hop and yeast is mediocre at best.

Both provide a pretty awful grain crush, run it twice or do it yourself.

YMMV

__________________
kharper6 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
bobeer
Easy Ridin' Danger
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bobeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 1,073
Liked 102 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Default

I have been going to Jay's for a little less than 4 years. I remember when he was in the itty-bitty old shop in Clifton. His newer space is so much better. Derrik is a good dude and is always willing to talk shop or about whatever else. Once I got the 10% discount I've never lost it which is awesome because it pays for the sales tax plus a little more.

There's 2 breweries within walking distance from Jay's too which makes it worth the trip. (Bad Wolf and Heritage) and as stated, Okra's is pretty good too. New Orleans style place... They have nothing but Abita on tap FYI. All-in-all you could easily waste a whole day getting homebrew supplies there. There's even lots of shopping in old town if you have the wife with you.

My only gripe with Jay's is it's sort of a crap-shoot if he'll have what you're looking for so bring a substitution chart with you for grains, hops and yeast. He'll have most of what you're looking for though. FWIW I've never had an issue with the crush there.

I've moved further out but I still manage to go there when I'm in the area. As for now, I bought a mill and I've been ordering my supplies from more beer and getting free shipping. I'll still support Jay's when I can though.

__________________
Camp Brew Co.
Primary: Ryes Your Eyes Red?
Kegged: Cheer Beer '14
Bottled: Bourbon Oak Brolic Strong ale
On Deck: Stocious Stout
bobeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
GrogNerd
bad beer makes puppies sad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GrogNerd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 3,776
Liked 988 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeer View Post
I have been going to Jay's for a little less than 4 years. I remember when he was in the itty-bitty old shop in Clifton. His newer space is so much better. Derrik is a good dude and is always willing to talk shop or about whatever else. Once I got the 10% discount I've never lost it which is awesome because it pays for the sales tax plus a little more.

There's 2 breweries within walking distance from Jay's too which makes it worth the trip. (Bad Wolf and Heritage) and as stated, Okra's is pretty good too. New Orleans style place... They have nothing but Abita on tap FYI. All-in-all you could easily waste a whole day getting homebrew supplies there. There's even lots of shopping in old town if you have the wife with you.

My only gripe with Jay's is it's sort of a crap-shoot if he'll have what you're looking for so bring a substitution chart with you for grains, hops and yeast. He'll have most of what you're looking for though. FWIW I've never had an issue with the crush there.

I've moved further out but I still manage to go there when I'm in the area. As for now, I bought a mill and I've been ordering my supplies from more beer and getting free shipping. I'll still support Jay's when I can though.
now you have Kettles & Grains in Leesburg & Brew LoCo in Lansdowne (Ashburn).

not sure about pricing vs Jay's or myLHBS, but it sure beats the snot out of driving to Manassas or 7 Corners.
__________________

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

GrogNerd is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #16
bobeer
Easy Ridin' Danger
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bobeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 1,073
Liked 102 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
now you have Kettles & Grains in Leesburg & Brew LoCo in Lansdowne (Ashburn).

not sure about pricing vs Jay's or myLHBS, but it sure beats the snot out of driving to Manassas or 7 Corners.
It does beat driving all that way. I still have to make it out to Brew LoCo and see what their prices are. I usually only go to K&G for odds and ends that I need on brew day or close to it. I did buy my whole grist there once for a Russian River beer I was cloning and it cost me double what jays charges; which is insane.

I"ve never been to the 7 Corners shop. I've never had a reason and there's too much congestion for me out there!

Vally Homebrew out in Stephan's City is pretty cool. Mom and Pop type shop that is very into the community. It's a far drive though but it's through the mountains so it's much nicer than driving east towards the city. They're open on Sundays too.
__________________
Camp Brew Co.
Primary: Ryes Your Eyes Red?
Kegged: Cheer Beer '14
Bottled: Bourbon Oak Brolic Strong ale
On Deck: Stocious Stout
bobeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 03:28 AM   #17
Sheldon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: woodbridge, va
Posts: 1,187
Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

Never been to Brew LoCo, but I know the owners and they are really good and knowledgeable folks.

Sheldon

__________________
Sheldon is offline
GrogNerd Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 05:13 AM   #18
sboyajian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Gainesville, VA
Posts: 191
Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

I buy pretty much everything at Jays. Few times I've had to rethink my plans because he is out of lactose, or a specific yeast, but he's close by and a nice guy.

__________________
Primary: None
Secondary: Tiffani-Amber Weizen Amber Ale
Recently Bottled: First Wort Problems Cream Ale, Science Club Oatmeal Stout, VandalEyes PA, Science Club Oatmeal Stout (with Espresso)
Up Next: Chocolate Orange Milk Stout, w00tstout clone, Smoked Robust Porter
sboyajian is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #19
GrogNerd
bad beer makes puppies sad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GrogNerd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 3,776
Liked 988 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
Never been to Brew LoCo, but I know the owners and they are really good and knowledgeable folks.

Sheldon
Cathy is awesome, and know both her & Rob from Wort Hogs & NoVA Homebrew
__________________

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

GrogNerd is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014, 12:01 AM   #20
leftcontact
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Burke, VA
Posts: 209
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Meh, I'm in Burke - 7 corners is as far as Jay's and doesn't tend to run out of stuff. I used Jay's when he was in Clifton but have had too many things not be there to drive all the way out to manassas.

T'each their own, I s'pose.

__________________
leftcontact is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Northern VA LHBS! Jay's Brewing! cmorgan Virginia HomeBrew Forum 0 02-13-2010 03:29 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS