Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Virginia HomeBrew Forum > Central Veeyay Brewdown Ought-Eight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #31
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dale's out. Devaspawn/Hagen are iffy. Dude, hopefully you're still coming...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #32
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Dale's out. Devaspawn/Hagen are iffy. Dude, hopefully you're still coming...

WTF? Yeah, I'm still in. I'm hitting the road in about a half hour or so.

I'll be there 10:30ish.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 12-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #33
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
I'm now bringing a buddy along...

And Mr Lion, what about my dog? Can I bring him? He is a little wimp and is fairly good...I can keep him leashed up to the vehicle if you have concerns. My neighbor who would have let him out once during the day is gonna be out of town tomorrow. Be honest, if you'd prefer not, he can be in the kennel while Im gone. He's gone a long time in there in the past.

Bring the dog, I'm cool with it. Although I think you're probably already on the way.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #34
devaspawn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry guys. I am sure you can tell we are out. Hope you guys have a good time.

Prim 1: Ogre's Inverted Extra Red Ale
Prim 2: Ogre's Hair of the Dog Imperial Amber Ale
Prim 3: Ogre's Relaxed APA
Sec 1: Honey Blonde Ale with Hefe Yeast
Sec 2: Scotch Wee Heavy
Sec 3: Ogre's Simple Mead
Keg 1: Ogre's Brown Ale
Keg 2: Ogre's Extra Red Ale

Old 12-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #35
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, it was a long day, but we had a great time and ended up with ~16 gallons of wort at the end of the day. We really tried our best to get a webstream going, but to no avail. The ustreamtv website wouldn't connect to the camera on the macbook. Ah well.

Dude was mashed in before he go in the car, so he was ready to boil by the time he arrived; Flyin Lion had already mashed and was starting the boil when I got there. They both had normal ales to brew, while I had a huge english barleywine. So not only was mine going to take longer, I was also a good ways behind. I think my mash was 90 minutes because of a positive starch test at 60 minutes, then my boil had to have been about 3 hours (I had a 3 quart starter at home that I wasn't decanting, and I started with probably 11-12 gallons pre-boil vol, which I needed to get down to about 4.75 gallons. So, yeah, that took a long time. I don't think I'll have to worry too much about lack of melanoidin production

To add insult to injury, I decided to try out Dude's setup with the keggle, hop screen, march pump and plate chiller. Problem was, the hops I needed for this recipe happened to be ones I only had in pellet form, which his hop screen didn't like too much. So we ended up with at least a gallon of wort still in the keggle after 20 minutes or so, and the pump couldn't pull any more, so we just dumped the still-hot wort into the funnel strainer straight from the keggle, and I had to sit there stirring over top of the funnel screen because of all the pellet hop junk. After sitting in the garage for another hour, then sitting in the car for another 90 minutes on the way home, I was still at 74F when I got home! Moral of this story is: pellet hops suck balls!

Sorry Deva, Hagen and Dale couldn't make it. You guys missed out on a lot of great beer and great slow-cooked beef sammiches (thanks, Dude!) You also missed out on an awesome Iron Orr Brewery pint glass (thanks again, Dude!).

Lastly, a big thanks to Flyin' Lion and his family for providing a great location to do this, complete with refreshments and everything. Great brewday overall, and since it's exactly halfway between Dude and I, I think we're going to be doing this again soon. So stay tuned!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 12-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #36
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Evan!, you left your tub of 5.2 here. I can hold on to it for the next brewday, or send it to you. Let me know.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:06 AM   #37
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

It was an EXCELLENT time! I really get a charge out of brewing and talking beer with knowledgeable dudes. It was a total blast and we need to do it again.

I think between all of us, we solved the world's problems! We deduced a possibility in why Flyin' Lion doesn't think his Newcastle Clone is up to speed, we know that pellet hops are the devil, and we know December days can be a bit chilly--among many other things.

At any rate, hopefully we brewed up 15 gallons (or so) of some pretty good beer. I know we drank some awesome beer.

I brought along a 20 ozer of olllllllllllllllo's Hatch Cream that he had sent me, and it was phenomenal. Dude you did an awesome job on that beer and I'm going to brew it. We split that with a few of the neighbors as well and they were impressed too.

Redhook Double Black is pretty decent too. I didn't have much of an expectation for it, but it was a pretty good stout. I'll be buying more of it.

I wanna thank you guys for making it happen, and thanks Jason for hosting--it was awesome. My buddy and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!

Let's do it again SOON (in fact, the sooner you plan it, the sooner you'll have an immersion chiller of your very own )!!!!!!!!!

Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 12-23-2008, 02:37 AM   #38
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

A good time was had by all, but there were some kinks to work out. First, I need to get this brewcast with ustreamtv.com worked out. Next, I need to remember to switch the tv to antenna instead of cable when I hook it up to the rabbit ears in the garage (sorry we couldn't watch football, Dude).

The weather cooperated, for the most part, and I really enjoyed my first "group brew" definitely something I'll want to do again soon.

ollllllllllo, the Hatch Cream was good, Jalapenos are not something I would expect to go well with beer. Evan brought some Beer de Garde (sp?) that was a big hit as well.

A big thanks to those that showed, and my apologies for those that didn't--life gets in the way sometimes and there's always another brew day.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:06 AM   #39
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin' Lion View Post
Evan brought some Beer de Garde (sp?) that was a big hit as well.
OMG!!!! How could I have forgotten that???? (sorry Evan!) That was amazing!

I could have drank that whole bottle!
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 12-23-2008, 05:16 AM   #40
devaspawn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I definitely wanted to make it. If for nothing else than to settle a discussion between Hagen and myself. We're both libertarians and we both took a test. I showed a little to the left of libertarian and he showed a little to the right. We are both pretty convinced that Evan would hit dead center on the libertarian test. .

Really though, it seemed like a it would be a good time and it sounds like it was. I really wanted to put some names to some faces. I figured it would be fun to meet some new brewers. I am jealous.

If you guys do it again the longer out the notice the better chance for me.

Prim 1: Ogre's Inverted Extra Red Ale
Prim 2: Ogre's Hair of the Dog Imperial Amber Ale
Prim 3: Ogre's Relaxed APA
Sec 1: Honey Blonde Ale with Hefe Yeast
Sec 2: Scotch Wee Heavy
Sec 3: Ogre's Simple Mead
Keg 1: Ogre's Brown Ale
Keg 2: Ogre's Extra Red Ale

Quick Reply