Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Virginia HomeBrew Forum > Any brewers in the Bristow/Manassas Va area?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #41
Sheldon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default NOVA club

We can establish a local either formal or informal club. There is BURP which has members from MD/VA/DC and has rotating meeting locations once a month with lots of food and home brew, which I belong to. Only real drawback is getting home after having a few. There is a smaller club out of Herndon area called the Warthogs. Both are formal and have officers and dues. But that is down the road a bit.

Someone needs to organize an initial get together to gauge the real interest. Again, Wedneday evening at Cock and Bowl, Occoquan.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #42
BasementBrewmistress
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSingleton View Post
Oh I concur that Derek is busy; and I when I spoke with him on Friday and Saturday I didn't intend for him to do any organization of a club.

What I really wanted was just a buy-in from him on the concept of having a club that he could get behind. Either in recommending it to clients, using the parking lot for events (like this year's AHA Big Brew), etc.

When we talked I mentioned I'd drop back by in a month or so to discuss it further.
Derek seems excited about the possibilities -- I'd be surprised if he wasn't interested in the concept! Just trying to put it out there that you guys could make some headway on the legwork/continue to get buy-in/gauge interest now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
Someone needs to organize an initial get together to gauge the real interest.
Basically, this.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #43
1GR8DA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

PM me your email address if you want to attend an informal meeting. I will find a venue and sent out an invitation of some sort as well as post here. Even if it to just lay down some ground work.

"Drive through it Cole. I know you can..I know it in my heart."

Old 03-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #44
ScottSingleton
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Well my grain bill for my Rye IPA isn't in yet so that's not happening. I'll still be brewing but at this point I'm trying to decide between my DFH 60 clone recipe or trying the Oberon Clone (decoction recipe here).

I really want more of the DFH 60 on tap but am really hesitant to use so much Simcoe/Amarillo as my stock is at about 1/3 lb. and that stuff is gone for the year.

If anyone wants to brew Saturday in Manassas let me know

Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #45
ajsnow6234
Recipes 

Quote:

If anyone wants to brew Saturday in Manassas let me know
Damn it...wish I had seen this. I am interested in getting as much "brew experience" as possible. I went in and chatted with Derek this week, bought all my brew equipment and can't wait to get started. Only been a part of brews through different friends and now I'm getting into it.

I just threw this stir-plate together with some stuff I had and some Radioshack parts. I want to use a yeast starter right off the bat to make sure I'm getting good fermentation.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:10 AM   #46
ScottSingleton
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsnow6234 View Post
Damn it...wish I had seen this. I am interested in getting as much "brew experience" as possible. I went in and chatted with Derek this week, bought all my brew equipment and can't wait to get started. Only been a part of brews through different friends and now I'm getting into it.
Man... I never actually got around to doing it either. After all my running around Saturday, including a trip into Jay's to get some specialty grains, I realized I was 1# short on white wheat. I was dragging my 3 kids with me and didn't feel like repeating the experience.

I was thinking of doing it one evening this week.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #47
BasementBrewmistress
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Welcome! Nice work on the stir plate.

Quote:
Man... I never actually got around to doing it either. After all my running around Saturday, including a trip into Jay's to get some specialty grains, I realized I was 1# short on white wheat. I was dragging my 3 kids with me and didn't feel like repeating the experience.

I was thinking of doing it one evening this week.
Same thing here. Except for Tuesday it looks like we'll have great brewing weather this week. It's hell getting caught up when your pipeline goes dry.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #48
ajsnow6234
Recipes 

I'm looking to probably get a yeast starter going on Thursday in order to brew on Saturday sometime. My first batch at home!

Old 03-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #49
1GR8DA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

If your interested in a Manassas/Bristow homebrew club, PM me your email address. I am pretty close to getting things together but it would certainly help with more interested participants. 100th post. Rock on!

"Drive through it Cole. I know you can..I know it in my heart."

Old 03-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #50
ScottSingleton
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
I'm looking to probably get a yeast starter going on Thursday in order to brew on Saturday sometime. My first batch at home!
I was in Jay's for about 30-40 minutes on Saturday and saw someone picking up a really nice brewing starter kit. You said you got yours there Sat? Was that by chance you?

I'm thinking of doing my Oberon this evening. I need to start by 4:30 to be done in enough time to clean up for the evening.

I'm also going to brew on Saturday, Probably some form of a Citra or Simcoe IPA.

Quick Reply