Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Virginia HomeBrew Forum > Any brewers in the Bristow/Manassas Va area?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #21
ScottSingleton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

VaBrewer; I brewed a Chocolate Stout last weekend and the wind was killer! I think I burned 50% more LP than I usually do.

I don't have a brew-rig either; just two 10G coolers I set on tables and a 15 gallon Megapot.

I have ordered up some 1.5" SS square tube, a new kettle, and some RIMS tubes from Brewers Hardware though -- I expect to start my build in the next few weeks.

Because my rig is so portable right now I'm all about getting together for a brew day. I've got grains and hops enough for any number of recipes I have sitting on deck in Brewsmith.

I'd love to to find a time to make an informal Brew-up if we can find the place to make it happen.

And FYI; Jay's is going to be downtown old-school Manassas on rt 28, by the Southern States (Wellington/28 intersection area)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #22
ScottSingleton
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehedge20 View Post
I have plenty of room in woodbridge with a brutus 10 setup if anyone is interested. Jays is a good idea as well.
I'm about to start a rig build and would love to find time to see yours in action. I've been to lots of mash-ups/Brew gatherings but the more I learn about other's rigs the better.

I think Jay's is opening today for the first time at the new location. Wish I had the time to shoot over there. I'd really like to convince them that they need to start a club and do weekend mashes in their parking lot.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #23
1GR8DA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Think I'll check out Jay's this weekend. That indeed would be a great place to facilitate an area brew club. Let's see how interested they may be. My rig is on wheels but I wouldn't consider it mobile unless there was a truck involved!

"Drive through it Cole. I know you can..I know it in my heart."

Old 02-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #24
ScottSingleton
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR8DA View Post
Think I'll check out Jay's this weekend. That indeed would be a great place to facilitate an area brew club. Let's see how interested they may be. My rig is on wheels but I wouldn't consider it mobile unless there was a truck involved!
I have an 8' low riding trailer that I've used to roll up my friends rigs and transport before.. If we get something going at Jay's or otherwise and you're in Manassas I wouldn't mind hauling it for you. All of my gear fits in the bed of the truck right now.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #25
ehedge20
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSingleton View Post
I'm about to start a rig build and would love to find time to see yours in action. I've been to lots of mash-ups/Brew gatherings but the more I learn about other's rigs the better.

I think Jay's is opening today for the first time at the new location. Wish I had the time to shoot over there. I'd really like to convince them that they need to start a club and do weekend mashes in their parking lot.
No problem. I need to brew a batch when I get back from vacation next weekend. I built my own and made plans so I can probably answer any questions you may have. My garage is 24' sq. so plenty of room to brew if anyone is interested. I off of dale blvd and miniville.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #26
1GR8DA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Planning a trip to Jay's new location on Saturday. Who's up for it?

"Drive through it Cole. I know you can..I know it in my heart."

Old 03-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #27
Snafu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just for what its worth, saw on NoVa craigslist today someone has a 15.5 gal keggle (electric) setup for sale, might be a pretty good score. Jus sayin'

Old 03-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #28
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I may join you Greg if my Boy Scout mulch delivery gets here at a reasonable time tomorrow.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #29
ScottSingleton
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
Just for what its worth, saw on NoVa craigslist today someone has a 15.5 gal keggle (electric) setup for sale, might be a pretty good score. Jus sayin'
Yah.. I saw that It's got al electric element in it though. Good for indoor use.

Quote:
Planning a trip to Jay's new location on Saturday. Who's up for it?
I'm heading over there today after lunch actually. I plan on picking up steel and doing some cutting/welding on my new sculpture Saturday.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #30
ScottSingleton
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I stopped by Jay's this afternoon and talked to Derek, the owner. He was really open to having a local club formed around the shop's location and will be checking with the landlord about using the parking lot area for brew sessions, like the upcoming AHA Big Brew.

I hadn't visited their shop in Clifton (heck, didn't know it existed) so I was really happy to see 55# sacks of base malts and weigh-your-own bins of specialty grains.

He also has bulk containers of hops in the 'fridge so you can get your exact recipe qty.

Really Really nice guy! He's still having some move-in-pains and his internet connection had gone down so I couldn't purchase anything -- but I'll be back there soon to show some support.

-S

Quick Reply