Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Virginia HomeBrew Forum > Any brewers in the Bristow/Manassas Va area?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #121
Hop_machine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm in for the kegerator sample...originally it was supposed to be spread out over two days...but then I bought the yeast and the weather sucked

I like my beer but I keep learning something from every batch...I would love to move from the teet to a bottle

Lesson last month...yeast don't live forever
Lesson this month #1...sanitation is über important (had spontaneous fermentation in my sour before I pitched...not really worried it is a sour)
Lesson this month #2...I can't convert quarts to gallons to save my life

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #122
matt1622
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

I should be starting my second batch soon. I'm going to order some kegging equipment tonight, so that next weekend I can get a reading and hopefully keg my first batch try to bottle 6.
I'm just glad the previous owner of my home left a full size fridge in the garage so I'll have plenty of room without the wife complaining about a keg in the kitchen. One of these days I'd like to try to turn it into a kegerator but I'm sure I'll need a second had for that.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #123
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Off to weigh my grain for tomorrows Alpha King Pale Ale clone. Wont be ready for the meeting on the 11th but I have Ruination for that.

Happy brewing to ya all.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:16 AM   #124
ScottSingleton
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBlack View Post
Off to weigh my grain for tomorrows Alpha King Pale Ale clone. Wont be ready for the meeting on the 11th but I have Ruination for that.

Happy brewing to ya all.
Nice! I'd love to try that. That thread here has me inspired and it's second on my brew list. Next is a Gumballhead clone which I'm probably going to try and brew tomorrow. I've got a DFH 60 coming off a bed of Pacman tomorrow morning so I'm going to rinse that up and pitch it into the Gumballhead.

I think the only ones I'll have ready for the meet is the Not-So-Hopslam-Hopslam and a batch of Two-Hearted Ale.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #125
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSingleton View Post
Nice! I'd love to try that. That thread here has me inspired and it's second on my brew list. Next is a Gumballhead clone which I'm probably going to try and brew tomorrow. I've got a DFH 60 coming off a bed of Pacman tomorrow morning so I'm going to rinse that up and pitch it into the Gumballhead.

I think the only ones I'll have ready for the meet is the Not-So-Hopslam-Hopslam and a batch of Two-Hearted Ale.
A very good selection of brews indeed!

I too am making the two-hearted but a bit later on, my schedule is overwhelmed. DFH, I am making the 90 at some point and I will make certain you get a sample! Looking forward to the 11th, shall bring Rogue Shakespeare Stout clone among other samples, mainly IPAs though. Opinions are very welcomed here!

Happy brewing to ya.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:47 AM   #126
1GR8DA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

REMINDER!!!! Wednesday is the day! I have the clubhouse starting at 7 so I'm thinking we should start around 7:15. I will have a cooler and or refrigerator to keep the homebrew cool. There has been a pretty large outpouring about the club. My one concern is that we will have a ton of people coming thinking there will be free beer. Are there any thoughts about holding tastings and swaps until the end? Also, is there a format or a subject matter anyone would like to see? I was thinking for the initial meeting we would have some sort of introductions, a bit about beer "history", basic brewing processes, and maybe a DIY presentation from one if the HBTers. I have never had to create an agenda for a new forum and would love some suggestions. The local response has been a bit overwhelming which I take with a grain of salt. Mostly novice or people interested in the craft. There met be 10 to 50 people.
Comments? Suggestions?
Thanks!!!!!

"Drive through it Cole. I know you can..I know it in my heart."

Old 04-06-2012, 02:12 AM   #127
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR8DA View Post
REMINDER!!!! Wednesday is the day! I have the clubhouse starting at 7 so I'm thinking we should start around 7:15. I will have a cooler and or refrigerator to keep the homebrew cool. There has been a pretty large outpouring about the club. My one concern is that we will have a ton of people coming thinking there will be free beer. Are there any thoughts about holding tastings and swaps until the end? Also, is there a format or a subject matter anyone would like to see? I was thinking for the initial meeting we would have some sort of introductions, a bit about beer "history", basic brewing processes, and maybe a DIY presentation from one if the HBTers. I have never had to create an agenda for a new forum and would love some suggestions. The local response has been a bit overwhelming which I take with a grain of salt. Mostly novice or people interested in the craft. There met be 10 to 50 people.
Comments? Suggestions?
Thanks!!!!!
GR8DA, this is how I would approach it:

I would state that each brewer should bring their own for the sample, the more they wish to sample, the more they should bring in return. I only think it would be fair. If some homebrewers wish to share more than they receive that is fine but the opposite would only only create a shortage for the rest.

I also think a lot of seasoned brewers may well show up. At any rate, I see this as a great chance to get together with other (mainly all grain) brewers and exchange ideas more than brewes, I am sure there are others that think alike.

On that note, if you want, Castle Black (myself and my roommate) can arrive slightly sooner to perhaps help out with the whole setup.

Happy brewing and let me know if you need anything more. See you soon.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #128
ScottSingleton
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm planning on bringing at least one full 2L of beer, perhaps two if I can get off my ass and chill the Two-Hearted clone in time enough for it to crash clear.

I think with only an hour and a half, and such a large crowd, we probably don't have time for real brewing content. I would think the following subjects would fit:

1. Introductions
2. Discussion on formalizing club (Name?, AHA association?, etc)
3. Venue, times, etc.
4. Inquiry on list of upcoming topics/demos/etc.
5. Volunteers for said topics/demos
6. Schedules/locations of informal "Brew Days" or those willing to have assistant brew masters in order to help novices learn, etc.
7. Social Tasting (End)

Old 04-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #129
Hop_machine
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If there are more than say 10-15 people I think disorganization can happen fairly rapidly.

I like Scott's agenda, what will we do and how will we meet in the future?

At some point I would love to get into some kind of a web presence, but that may be rushing things a bit. My wife runs a group and uses meetup.com for instance, not sure if we need that or if we have a bored web person in the mix.

To gauge the level and type of club interest it may be useful to setup voting. I can set this up or help.
- DIY projects
- Brewing techniques ( could be like an hour at someone's house one night

I for one love to see how other people brew. I learn something every time.
- a way to sponsor / sign up for brew days ( either attend someone else's and/or have people to yours )
- group brew days

As far as samples I guess now I am concerned that 5 people will bring beer and 50 will drink. Should we have a bring a sample get a sample policy? Do we need to check ID's and do wristbands or something? Or limit the gathering to over 21 and check ID's at the door? Hate for this to turn ugly over serving a minor.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #130
BasementBrewmistress
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

We hadn't planned to bring OR drink anything, but having re-read GR8DA's post (ADD is a plague) I'm not sure the honor system is going to work here.

We should start a sign-up or some sort...perhaps via Meetup.com or SurveyMonkey and a Facebook group (for those already using Facebook). It needs to be clear that this meeting is for those of legal drinking age and certainly not a keg party.

Another alternative is we bring a partial keg of hoppyish APA for the freeloaders. Brewed it for a sanitation check (no temp control, didn't try to clear it, etc.). Not representative work, but drinkable. Let me know...;p

Quick Reply