Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Virginia HomeBrew Forum > 757 Home Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2014, 02:04 AM   #11
New_2_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First brew today a White House honey ale. Turned out looking like it might be in the 7.5 range a little over the norm. imageuploadedbyhome-brew1390183489.475423.jpg

Old 01-20-2014, 03:06 AM   #12
jmcquesten
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

I'm interested in getting together, but I'm not currently in the 757. I'll be in the 907 (Arctic Alaska) until late may/early June, at which point I should be heading back to the Beach. I brewed for a little over a year before moving up here in October, and have about 20 batches under my belt (mostly all grain). Left all my all-grain equipment with family in VA Beach so I can pick back up when I get home. Also left a couple batches of Belgian strong there to age while I'm gone. They'll have close to a year and a half in bottles by the time I get back to them. Anyways, I'll be monitoring this thread until I get back to see if things get off the ground. It's illegal to brew where I'm at, so reading this forum is the only thing homebrew that I have to hold on to.

One thing I can recommend to all of you is to go check out Wine and Cake Hobbies on tidewater drive in Norfolk. They have just as much if not more than homebrew usa, and in my opinion, better attitudes. They also periodically show up on Groupon, which can really help on brewing costs. Talk to Chris if you go, she knows her stuff and values her customers.

Hope yall can get something together cause there's really a lack of good, organized brewclubs in the 757. I hope to be able to be a part of the club, even from 6,000 miles away. I'll be back but until then, enjoy brewing and have one for me.

Here's a few pics of my setup.

20130401_211912.jpg   20130420_231930-1.jpg   20130217_212216.jpg  

Reason: Added pic

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #13
ryandavies
Recipes 

t

Old 01-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #14
New_2_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So confused, Im making a white house honey ale. it when into the carboy last sunday at about 70 degrees. yeast went in, and no movement till the next morning kept the bottle and surrounding water to about 65 degrees, we got bubbling for about two days I replaced the blow off bottle and it totally stopped moving at all. Now the beer is completely stagnant, still remaining about 63 degrees. I was thinking about putting it in for secondary fermentation in a fermenting bucket. So i guess i'm asking should i worry yet? should i transfer the beer off the yeast cake. FYI only leaving in crboy for about another few days prior to bottling.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:09 AM   #15
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Let it be for 2 weeks at least, most will tell you 3 weeks.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 AM   #16
New_2_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so then the fact its not churning anymore isnt an issue?

Old 01-24-2014, 12:16 AM   #17
WNCBrewman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Not too far off topic...

But some good things come out of the 757 zip code....One thing in particular is my man Tajh Boyd. I'm a big Clemson Tiger fan. Glad he came to Clemson. Great ambassador for Clemson University. Has a nice 757 tat on one of his arms. Good luck to him in the NFL. Nice win in the Orange Bowl. Sorry, now you guys can continue.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:56 AM   #18
Meyre86
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

New_2_Brew - Just ran into a similar issue with a Bourbon Barrel Porter I did over the weekend. Pitched the yeast and had my blowoff tube bubbling like crazy for 24-36 hours, then nothing for the last 24 hours. Talked to a few of the guys at HomebrewUSA and they all said the same thing - beer is fine, just leave it alone for 2-3 weeks. Its my 4th batch, and after tasting my first two this weekend, I must be doing things right, so I'm just going to keep on keepin on until something tastes bad, haha (crosses fingers / knock on wood).

Old 02-18-2014, 11:02 PM   #19
Nate

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quick shout out to the757! Brewing again!!! Dude, where are you? lol.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:40 AM   #20
jmcquesten
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Hey 757 brewers, any more plans/talks of starting these get-togethers? I hope yall will have this off the ground by summer cause I'm looking forward to meeting up with some fellow brewers when I get back in town. I'm upgrading equipment from a distance (ordering parts) and planning brews for the summer/fall. I'd love to hear what everyone is brewing and building for their beer. Hope to share some beers with yall soon.

Sent from 35 miles north of the Arctic circle.

Quick Reply