New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Ohio HomeBrew Forum > LHBS in Columbus?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Chattan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default LHBS in Columbus?

Hey folks,
I live in State College and we don't have a LHBS near by. I will be traveling for Easter to Columbus, OH. Are there any good LHBS in Columbus?
Thank you,
Chattan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
GMJager
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I dont know about Columbus (never go into Columbus really), but just north, in Delaware, theres a great shop called Barley Hopsters

Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
doughaas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Unfortunately none of them are anything special.

There are 3 I know of.

Neal House is on the east side and is a brewery that sells a limited assortment of ingredients for like 8 hours a week. Nice guys but limited selection and their hours are limited.

The winemakers shop in clintonville is insultingly overpriced with horrible service. Avoid. The only upside is they're well stocked because they never sell anything.

My favorite is called gentile's wine seller's in grandview. They have a good selection of wine and beer and an aisle of homebrew supplies. They're not the biggest but the service is great, everything is fresh and if they don't have it they'll get it.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattan View Post
Hey folks,
I live in State College and we don't have a LHBS near by. I will be traveling for Easter to Columbus, OH. Are there any good LHBS in Columbus?
Thank you,
Chattan
Depending on when you're traveling, you're traveling past the Grape and Granary. It's a fine HBS. I wish it were closer to me.

I can't vouch for the store in Deleware. I buy most of my ingredients from the Hops Shack in Bucyrus(about an hour's drive from Columbus)

Old 03-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
doughaas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass

Depending on when you're traveling, you're traveling past the Grape and Granary. It's a fine HBS. I wish it were closer to me.

I can't vouch for the store in Deleware. I buy most of my ingredients from the Hops Shack in Bucyrus(about an hour's drive from Columbus)
Grape and granary is in Akron and is great.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughaas View Post
Grape and granary is in Akron and is great.
I would also say that by far Grape and Granary is the best choice. I have a 6 state territory and it is the the best HBS I have found. If your traveling via the turnpike/toll road it is "on the way".

Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
RDbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughaas View Post
Unfortunately none of them are anything special.

There are 3 I know of.

Neal House is on the east side and is a brewery that sells a limited assortment of ingredients for like 8 hours a week. Nice guys but limited selection and their hours are limited.

The winemakers shop in clintonville is insultingly overpriced with horrible service. Avoid. The only upside is they're well stocked because they never sell anything.

My favorite is called gentile's wine seller's in grandview. They have a good selection of wine and beer and an aisle of homebrew supplies. They're not the biggest but the service is great, everything is fresh and if they don't have it they'll get it.

Neil House Brewery just closed but might have some good liquidating prices if you visit by appt.

I only have experience with Gentile's but they seem pretty good. For the most part a lot of their prices are consistent with online + shipping.

All hops are $2.50 / oz. They carry White Labs liquid and an assortment of dry yeasts. Bulk grains as well as DME - but no LME to my knowledge. Also carry Brewer's Best kits that seem to cycle fairly well. A moderate amount of equipment as well.

Pricing can be a bit confusing as a lot of things aren't very well marked, but their is always a person or two to help if you have any questions.

Primary: DFH 60min
Secondaries: Orange Honey Wheat
Bottled: Apfelwein, Irish Deadred

Coming Soon: Kentucky Rye

Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
doughaas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just saw Neal house's system posted in the classifieds on probrewer a couple of days ago.

I didn't know if they were closing or moving up. I'm a little sad they closed since I'm not a huge fan of CBC or Barley's and Elevator can be a little hit or miss.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
RDbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yea I saw their closing announcements in one of the columbus online mags (maybe drink up columbus or something like that). I had never been there myself but had always intended to,

EDIT: Found the article - http://drinkupcolumbus.com/2013/02/28/neil-house-brewery-closes-doors/

Primary: DFH 60min
Secondaries: Orange Honey Wheat
Bottled: Apfelwein, Irish Deadred

Coming Soon: Kentucky Rye

Quick Reply