Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Ohio HomeBrew Forum > Brewing in Toledo, Ohio

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #21
cbmikey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Don't miss it too much my friend. Columbus is the place to be if you want a decent job! I live not far from BG but I don't go there very often. I use Titgemeiers locally and Amazon for my supplies.

->Mike
->Mr Beer Newb

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
mrkrausman
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Maumee Bay's Buckeye Beer

Has anyone tried to clone this beer. I can't get a response from them. It seems like a light pilsner. Im looking to make something similar for my session women drinkers.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #23
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you want to learn how to clone Buckeye Beer, head down to the brewery for a pint. I'd bet the owner would be much more obliged to supply a paying customer with some hints, as opposed to some dude emailing him (I assume by 'not getting a response', you're not asking in person).

He may not give you all the pieces, but he may give you enough to arrive at a decent conclusion.

Jake in Toledo

Primary: Privateer English Pale Ale
Kegged: VEE HAFF VAYS AUF MAKING YOU TALK LOUDLY Dunkel
Bottled: Pacific Pride (American) Pale Ale

Old 03-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #24
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

As far as Toledo Homebrew clubs, The Glass City Mashers seems pretty established. $25 annual dues, monthly meetings at The Attic on Adams. Every month they do a meeting to discuss a different BJCP style. and of course, drink beer. I've also heard of brew outs they do, but not attended them.

Jake in Toledo

Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #25
mrkrausman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeintoledo View Post
If you want to learn how to clone Buckeye Beer, head down to the brewery for a pint. I'd bet the owner would be much more obliged to supply a paying customer with some hints, as opposed to some dude emailing him (I assume by 'not getting a response', you're not asking in person).

He may not give you all the pieces, but he may give you enough to arrive at a decent conclusion.
I did explain in my email to the brewmaster that i was a regular customer. But you are right, in-person is better. That was my plan next time i get to Toledo. I just basically asked him what style it was and how about some ideas to get close..

Old 03-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #26
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrausman View Post
I did explain in my email to the brewmaster that i was a regular customer. But you are right, in-person is better. That was my plan next time i get to Toledo. I just basically asked him what style it was and how about some ideas to get close..
Take a peek at the Ratebeer rating for the beer. disregard the low rating, of course

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/buckeye...um-beer/10565/

Jake in Toledo

Old 03-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #27
mrkrausman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeintoledo View Post
Take a peek at the Ratebeer rating for the beer. disregard the low rating, of course

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/buckeye...um-beer/10565/
I drank 2 bottles last night and I was disappointed. More than likely it was getting stale. The reviews are pointing me in the pale lager direction. I need to make a lager for my lighter drinking people. Many comment that there may be some corn in there like a pre-prohibition beer.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #28
Fiziks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Hey guys, just want to throw something out there real quick. I'm opening a brewery downtown this year, and I want to promote Toledo through the beer industry.

This is not my first business, but it definitely is my first brewery

I'm having a meeting with my investors at the end of this month, and then I will be leasing the building in May. Right now the choice is either right across the street from Packo's on Superior, or just down a few blocks on Ontario.

Anyway, I'm planning on doing a private monthly homebrew competition for local brewers, so look out for that!

It will be about 4-6 months before the doors open to the public. I have two year-round recipes and six seasonals. I've got 2 taps at the Bier Stube and I'm close to working something out with the Andersons and Josephs Beverage Center. I'll be developing the house beer for the Bier Stube.

Spread the word, and get excited, because I can't wait to serve this city and bring some more life to it. I'll have an article in the city paper later this month, as well.

Glass City Brewing Company
http://glasscitybeer.com/

People Like This 
Old 04-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #29
cbmikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiziks View Post
Hey guys, just want to throw something out there real quick. I'm opening a brewery downtown this year, and I want to promote Toledo through the beer industry.

This is not my first business, but it definitely is my first brewery

I'm having a meeting with my investors at the end of this month, and then I will be leasing the building in May. Right now the choice is either right across the street from Packo's on Superior, or just down a few blocks on Ontario.

Anyway, I'm planning on doing a private monthly homebrew competition for local brewers, so look out for that!

It will be about 4-6 months before the doors open to the public. I have two year-round recipes and six seasonals. I've got 2 taps at the Bier Stube and I'm close to working something out with the Andersons and Josephs Beverage Center. I'll be developing the house beer for the Bier Stube.

Spread the word, and get excited, because I can't wait to serve this city and bring some more life to it. I'll have an article in the city paper later this month, as well.
Far out! I'm about a block away from Packos so I can stop in for a lunchtime brew! Let us know when you're closer to opening and I'll get as much business coming as I can for you man! I don't know tons of people but I do know quite a few!

->Mike
->Mr Beer Newb

Old 04-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #30
Fiziks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmikey View Post
Far out! I'm about a block away from Packos so I can stop in for a lunchtime brew! Let us know when you're closer to opening and I'll get as much business coming as I can for you man! I don't know tons of people but I do know quite a few!
Excellent! I'll definitely keep this forum updated! Bring everyone you can! Toledo needs more good beer, and we definitely need more life in downtown. This city isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be, and I definitely want to build something that everyone can be proud of.

Depending on how long it takes to get the permits (Most of the forms are complete, just need to be sent after I get into the building), I'll be looking to open the doors in August or September. Just in time to catch the tail end of baseball season, and to prepare for hockey season.

Cheers!

Glass City Brewing Company
http://glasscitybeer.com/

Quick Reply