Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > Y'all have let me down!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #41
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2031 Times on 1460 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

I told my wife we should go buy a good set of matching glasses for the kitchen and only store a few pint glasses on the top shelf, for like going outside, drinking beer, etc. but it hasn't happened yet. We still got Red Wings glasses from when Federov played with Detroit!

Old 03-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #42
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Well, I missed Oberon Day again this year! I don't know why I keep forgetting it. I got a text from my BIL on the way home from Mt. Pleasant with a picture of him holding a bottle.

Can't wait to grab a 6-pack and see how it tastes!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #43
Keith_O
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Poor Homer...
Wish we had more Breweries here... Austin is starting to get a bunch, which is good, but then you have to drive to Austin... lol

Old 03-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #44
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 96

haha. You'll have to set a reminder in your calendar for next year lol. I have to go out and get a 6 pack as well. I always like to grab a 6er and culture the yeast while it's fresh.

BJCP A0936 Certified Beer Judge and Mead Judge
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
Malty Dogs Homebrew Club
AHA Forums "dkfick"

Old 03-25-2014, 11:12 PM   #45
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 601

Homer, I don't know whats closer to you, Cadillac or Big Rapids, but Meijer has 12 packs of Oberon for $13.50 this week.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Old 03-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #46
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
Homer, I don't know whats closer to you, Cadillac or Big Rapids, but Meijer has 12 packs of Oberon for $13.50 this week.
Actually Reed City is closest (LOL). I grabbed a 6 after work at the local party store. From the chill chest of course, so I could finish one while cooking dinner and working on the remodeling.

IT WAS AWESOME!

I didn't do a serious sit down and compare with my past experiences. I just took a few big swallows and doubled over in pleasure, tears streaming down my face.

After a tissue clean up I managed to contain myself and take the occasional sip now and then while working.

I have no idea why I like this beer so much. I'm not a big fan of other American Wheat Beers. Maybe it's the hops they use?

I carefully poured so I could save the yeast and then I recapped. After a couple of them get emptied I'll pitch them into some starter wort and get some yeast going for a batch of clone. I've been meaning to brew one for a while.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #47
Keith_O
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I'm guessing this is a beer only available in the midwest? Never heard of it til this forum, but I don't get out much... lol

Old 03-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #48
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 443

It is distributed pretty widely, but it is harder to find the further you get away from Michigan.

Bottled - a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 03-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #49
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

In Michigan and some parts of the midwest we have holidays on the release day. People take off work and text each other pictures of their recent purchases. It's state law, look it up!

I probably know more about Oberon than anybody I know! Larry Bell told me personally that he met Oberon way back in the day and that he told him if he changed the name from Solsun to Oberon, he would sprinkle his beer with fairy dust. I swear to God he did!

I gotta go.

People Like This 
Old 03-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #50
jpalarchio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 10

And the Oberon debate arises each time this year...

I'd agree with overhyped (especially on a 25 degree day) but definitely not in short supply. Available by the case in every mega-mart and it seems on every gas station shelf. I'm sure I'll see a pallet of it the next time I'm at Sams or Costco.

I'm not really a fan of it anymore and wheat beers are definitely not my style. Years ago I was crazy about it, to the point of ordering 1/2 barrels and having my own Oberon parties. I really feel like it's changed over the years, that or my tastes have changed.

It was one of the first real craft beers I started getting into while at college when we'd buy it in 22s and it was called "Solsun". So maybe that's why I loved it so much, it was better than red solo cups of Busch Light.

Today the waitress told us the had Oberon on draft and then I saw they still had Hopslam on draft; I helped them try and finish up that Hopslam keg.

Quick Reply