Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > U.P. Brewery Book

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Jacob_Marley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mors View Post
You do know that Dark Horse is in the lower peninsula. It's in Marshall near Battle Creek.
My bad. Thanks for the correction, mors. Corrected the post.
Nope, not a simple task tracking down Finnish beers. Really surprising though that for all the Finnish culture in the UP there's no brewing tradition being kept.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2257 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

A Yooper 7 course meal. A Pasty and a 6-pack.

I got so much stuff to get done this summer and I'm already dreaming about a UP vacation. I will definitely be interested in that book!

Old 04-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
A Yooper 7 course meal. A Pasty and a 6-pack.

I got so much stuff to get done this summer and I'm already dreaming about a UP vacation. I will definitely be interested in that book!
Whatsleftofyou and I were talking about that book you gave me a couple of years ago, and then I gave it to Leon. It was about Bosch Brewing, in South Range, I believe? Where did you pick that up?

Old 04-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #14
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Whatsleftofyou and I were talking about that book you gave me a couple of years ago, and then I gave it to Leon. It was about Bosch Brewing, in South Range, I believe? Where did you pick that up?
Good heavens! I can't even remember what I had for breakfast! (ok, it was McDs, I was in a hurry!)

I *think* I bought it at an antique shop near Copper Harbor. They had lots of cool things, but that was the most interesting to me.

Bosch had several breweries at one time. Where they all were, I don't remember exactly. I think one was in or near Houghton, and I think there was one in or near Calumet. Seems like he bought a brewery a bit farther away, but I can't remember which one or where.

There was supposed to be a brewery opening up near Copper Harbor across from the general store. Anyone know if that is still on? I'm guessing the startup is taking longer than anticipated, which is very normal for a new brewery. I *might* be able to convince the wife to spend a couple of days up there again.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Good heavens! I can't even remember what I had for breakfast! (ok, it was McDs, I was in a hurry!)

I *think* I bought it at an antique shop near Copper Harbor. They had lots of cool things, but that was the most interesting to me.

Bosch had several breweries at one time. Where they all were, I don't remember exactly. I think one was in or near Houghton, and I think there was one in or near Calumet. Seems like he bought a brewery a bit farther away, but I can't remember which one or where.

There was supposed to be a brewery opening up near Copper Harbor across from the general store. Anyone know if that is still on? I'm guessing the startup is taking longer than anticipated, which is very normal for a new brewery. I *might* be able to convince the wife to spend a couple of days up there again.
The brewpub in Copper Harbor is open. I've never been there, but some of my friends have.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:56 AM   #16
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I bought the Bosch book here: http://www.calumetcopper.com/index.p...products_id=68
It outlines a a good number of the pre-pro breweries in the Keweenaw...at least the numerous ones that Bosch acquired over time.

The brewery in Copper Harbor is open and it's called Brickside Brewery. I haven't been there, but had his porter at the Marquette fest and it was pretty good.

Regarding my book, the cover does involve beer and pasties!

On Tap: Lime Basil Wheat, Pumpkin Spice Ale, Coffee Blonde
Bottled: PB&J Sweet Stout, Rhubarb Berliner Weisse

Old 04-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #17
Odawg
Recipes 

Bosch was in Hancock back in the day. I know a few people up that way who remember it fondly.
We can soon add Bells to the Escanaba list. Well, Upper Hand as I believe that extension of their brewery will be initially called.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odawg View Post
Bosch was in Hancock back in the day. I know a few people up that way who remember it fondly.
We can soon add Bells to the Escanaba list. Well, Upper Hand as I believe that extension of their brewery will be initially called.
Just read that. One in Escanaba and another in Grand Rapids. Because GR doesn't have enough breweries already...

Quick Reply