Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > sw michigan utopia brewday
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
eriktlupus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
eriktlupus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cereal City, USA
Posts: 2,648
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default sw michigan utopia brewday

hey title says it all
this will be brewed north of battle creek off of M-37 (not quite halfway to hastings) on sat jan 8th 2011. cuinrearview is hosting but since he doesn't have a membership direct all pm's to me plz.

anyone who is interested in watching this or in brewing up a beer of your own is welcome. regular michigan predator rules apply ie bring food and beer to share plz.

__________________

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS


join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

eriktlupus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,878
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktlupus View Post
hey title says it all
this will be brewed north of battle creek off of M-37 (not quite halfway to hastings) on sat jan 8th 2011. cuinrearview is hosting but since he doesn't have a membership direct all pm's to me plz.

anyone who is interested in watching this or in brewing up a beer of your own is welcome. regular michigan predator rules apply ie bring food and beer to share plz.
Like I said in the PM, I don't think I have anything going that day. I should be able to make it. Does he have some place large enough to get everyone inside? It's going to be damn cold.
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear
FSR402 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Delton, MI
Posts: 1,174
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

The brewing will take place in my two car attached garage so dress appropriately. There will be room inside the house to warm up and keep the food. I may be able to source some heaters to take the edge off a bit, and there's always the SQ-14 to huddle around! Besides, that's where the kegerator/beer fridge lives so why would we want to get too far away from that? Last year we did it all inside and it took FOREVER to boil down from 14 gallons to ~6. I think doing it outside will be a huge plus. I also just added a wireless network so if anyone wants to do a web stream or take pictures throughout the day that'd be cool.

__________________

Looking forward to brewing some beer

cuinrearview is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,056
Liked 4464 Times on 3250 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
The brewing will take place in my two car attached garage so dress appropriately. There will be room inside the house to warm up and keep the food. I may be able to source some heaters to take the edge off a bit, and there's always the SQ-14 to huddle around! Besides, that's where the kegerator/beer fridge lives so why would we want to get too far away from that? Last year we did it all inside and it took FOREVER to boil down from 14 gallons to ~6. I think doing it outside will be a huge plus. I also just added a wireless network so if anyone wants to do a web stream or take pictures throughout the day that'd be cool.
Are then any motels nearby for those of us who might be able to come long distance?
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,878
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
The brewing will take place in my two car attached garage so dress appropriately. There will be room inside the house to warm up and keep the food. I may be able to source some heaters to take the edge off a bit, and there's always the SQ-14 to huddle around! Besides, that's where the kegerator/beer fridge lives so why would we want to get too far away from that? Last year we did it all inside and it took FOREVER to boil down from 14 gallons to ~6. I think doing it outside will be a huge plus. I also just added a wireless network so if anyone wants to do a web stream or take pictures throughout the day that'd be cool.
Boil from 14 to 6? I've only done that once and with an SQ-14 it took 6 hours. Had an OG of 1.150.

I'm fine with in a garage, just don't want to be out in the driveway. lol
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear
FSR402 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Delton, MI
Posts: 1,174
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Are then any motels nearby for those of us who might be able to come long distance?
Nearby? Heh, I know that by nearby you don't mean nearby in the U.P. sense of the word, but that's how close they are. There's really not anything close. Probably 30 minutes to K-zoo or the south side of Battle Creek. There IS a little dive motel about 15 minutes away in Hastings though. I can probably get some contact info. for you if you're seriously interested. We have an extra bedroom but no bed since it's the office I'm sitting in right now.
__________________

Looking forward to brewing some beer

cuinrearview is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Delton, MI
Posts: 1,174
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402 View Post
Boil from 14 to 6? I've only done that once and with an SQ-14 it took 6 hours. Had an OG of 1.150.

I'm fine with in a garage, just don't want to be out in the driveway. lol
Yah I think that's about what it took last year only we had a different burner. I'm hoping in the cold with me cranking it up a bit we can knock an hour or two off that.
__________________

Looking forward to brewing some beer

cuinrearview is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
eriktlupus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
eriktlupus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cereal City, USA
Posts: 2,648
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default

i wish it was only 6 hrs...try 8 from first runnings to knockout.

__________________

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS


join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

eriktlupus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,878
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
Yah I think that's about what it took last year only we had a different burner. I'm hoping in the cold with me cranking it up a bit we can knock an hour or two off that.
what the hell are you brewing?
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear
FSR402 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Delton, MI
Posts: 1,174
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

The fourteen gallons was just the first runnings from 57lbs. of grain. We only did one parti-gyle, which came out as a 9% black IPA. I know we had one or maybe even two more five gallon beers in there, but we were definately breaking new trails (at least for us) so we cut our losses. I think in total our extraction efficiency was something in the 60's but Erik would be better to speak on the numbers. We only had two cooler MLTs and that presented a problem as far as volume went. Hopefully someone in attendence this year would loan us a third to make things a bit easier. For us, at least for me, it was just one of those "whatever happens, happens, let's just go BIG and brew all f'ing day" days. We started drinking, I mean brewing, around 10am and finished drinking....er cleaning about 12 hours later. I was exhausted but when I woke up the next morning (still mid-hangover) I thought to myself "I cannot WAIT to do it next year". We were shooting for 25% in the end product, mid .160's OG before syrup additions. We fell short. We just bottled last weekend a beer that is near 20%. It's sweet, alcoholic, and AWESOME becuase we made it. There were lessons learned that will hopefully make this year's batch much better. For sure some will be around on the 8th. I'm going to brew the five gallon starter of WLP099 next weekend. I want it around 9-12% and am open to suggestions. Thinking a stronger English Barleywine to keep things fairly neutral.

__________________

Looking forward to brewing some beer

cuinrearview is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Interest In 2nd Annual Michigan Predators' Brewday? HenryHill Michigan HomeBrew Forum 148 09-25-2010 12:47 AM
Who wants a DE Brewday? Madman Delaware HomeBrew Forum 43 05-26-2010 09:57 PM
MD brewday GRAIN! #2 claphamsa Maryland HomeBrew Forum 104 10-07-2009 03:41 PM
michigan predators brewday V?? 08-22-09 FSR402 Michigan HomeBrew Forum 25 08-24-2009 01:58 PM
Michigan Mashers Brewday v2 7/18/2009 xiang Michigan HomeBrew Forum 9 07-19-2009 05:20 PM