Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > sw michigan utopia brewday

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
eriktlupus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default sw michigan utopia brewday

hey title says it all
this will be brewed north of battle creek off of M-37 (not quite halfway to hastings) on sat jan 8th 2011. cuinrearview is hosting but since he doesn't have a membership direct all pm's to me plz.

anyone who is interested in watching this or in brewing up a beer of your own is welcome. regular michigan predator rules apply ie bring food and beer to share plz.

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktlupus View Post
hey title says it all
this will be brewed north of battle creek off of M-37 (not quite halfway to hastings) on sat jan 8th 2011. cuinrearview is hosting but since he doesn't have a membership direct all pm's to me plz.

anyone who is interested in watching this or in brewing up a beer of your own is welcome. regular michigan predator rules apply ie bring food and beer to share plz.
Like I said in the PM, I don't think I have anything going that day. I should be able to make it. Does he have some place large enough to get everyone inside? It's going to be damn cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 12-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The brewing will take place in my two car attached garage so dress appropriately. There will be room inside the house to warm up and keep the food. I may be able to source some heaters to take the edge off a bit, and there's always the SQ-14 to huddle around! Besides, that's where the kegerator/beer fridge lives so why would we want to get too far away from that? Last year we did it all inside and it took FOREVER to boil down from 14 gallons to ~6. I think doing it outside will be a huge plus. I also just added a wireless network so if anyone wants to do a web stream or take pictures throughout the day that'd be cool.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 12-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4464 Times on 3250 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
The brewing will take place in my two car attached garage so dress appropriately. There will be room inside the house to warm up and keep the food. I may be able to source some heaters to take the edge off a bit, and there's always the SQ-14 to huddle around! Besides, that's where the kegerator/beer fridge lives so why would we want to get too far away from that? Last year we did it all inside and it took FOREVER to boil down from 14 gallons to ~6. I think doing it outside will be a huge plus. I also just added a wireless network so if anyone wants to do a web stream or take pictures throughout the day that'd be cool.
Are then any motels nearby for those of us who might be able to come long distance?

Old 12-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
FSR402

Recipes 

Quote:
Boil from 14 to 6? I've only done that once and with an SQ-14 it took 6 hours. Had an OG of 1.150.

I'm fine with in a garage, just don't want to be out in the driveway. lol

Quote:
Quote:

Old 12-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Are then any motels nearby for those of us who might be able to come long distance?
Nearby? Heh, I know that by nearby you don't mean nearby in the U.P. sense of the word, but that's how close they are. There's really not anything close. Probably 30 minutes to K-zoo or the south side of Battle Creek. There IS a little dive motel about 15 minutes away in Hastings though. I can probably get some contact info. for you if you're seriously interested. We have an extra bedroom but no bed since it's the office I'm sitting in right now.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402 View Post
Boil from 14 to 6? I've only done that once and with an SQ-14 it took 6 hours. Had an OG of 1.150.

I'm fine with in a garage, just don't want to be out in the driveway. lol
Yah I think that's about what it took last year only we had a different burner. I'm hoping in the cold with me cranking it up a bit we can knock an hour or two off that.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

i wish it was only 6 hrs...try 8 from first runnings to knockout.

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 12-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
FSR402

Recipes 

Quote:
Yah I think that's about what it took last year only we had a different burner. I'm hoping in the cold with me cranking it up a bit we can knock an hour or two off that.
what the hell are you brewing?

Quote:
Quote:

Old 12-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The fourteen gallons was just the first runnings from 57lbs. of grain. We only did one parti-gyle, which came out as a 9% black IPA. I know we had one or maybe even two more five gallon beers in there, but we were definately breaking new trails (at least for us) so we cut our losses. I think in total our extraction efficiency was something in the 60's but Erik would be better to speak on the numbers. We only had two cooler MLTs and that presented a problem as far as volume went. Hopefully someone in attendence this year would loan us a third to make things a bit easier. For us, at least for me, it was just one of those "whatever happens, happens, let's just go BIG and brew all f'ing day" days. We started drinking, I mean brewing, around 10am and finished drinking....er cleaning about 12 hours later. I was exhausted but when I woke up the next morning (still mid-hangover) I thought to myself "I cannot WAIT to do it next year". We were shooting for 25% in the end product, mid .160's OG before syrup additions. We fell short. We just bottled last weekend a beer that is near 20%. It's sweet, alcoholic, and AWESOME becuase we made it. There were lessons learned that will hopefully make this year's batch much better. For sure some will be around on the 8th. I'm going to brew the five gallon starter of WLP099 next weekend. I want it around 9-12% and am open to suggestions. Thinking a stronger English Barleywine to keep things fairly neutral.

Quick Reply