Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > Siciliano's 9th Annual Homebrew Contest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
mtnbikerbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Siciliano's 9th Annual Homebrew Contest

This is copied from our blog post found here.

Calling all homebrewers!

It's time once again to get that oak-aged, dry-hopped, brett-infused, maple-flavored, spruce-tip, double-imperial, pale-porter hybrid into the bottle—the Siciliano's Market 9th Annual Homebrew Contest is right around the corner. See below for contest rules and regulations.

Is 2012 your year?
Every homebrewer is allowed one (1) beer entry. All entries must be brewed by the person named on the entry form. Please do not submit beers under the names of significant others, children, dogs, cats, parakeets, and/or imaginary friends.
Beers are submitted according to the BJCP Stye Guidelines. Ciders and meads are excluded from this contest. If you're not sure which is the correct style category for your beer, contact us and we can help you.
Entries require two (2) plain, unlabeled/unmarked 12oz amber bottles. Please no clear bottles or bottles of any other size.
Entries must be submitted with the correct paperwork (entry form), and with competition bottle-ID forms rubber-banded to the bottle. Find the entry form here and the bottle-ID form here. Contact Siciliano's if you have trouble downloading these files.

The entry fee is $5.

Entries will be accepted from Wednesday, March 7th through Wednesday, April 18th. If mailing in an entry, please include paperwork and submission fee. Ship in a well-packed box to:
Siciliano's Market
2840 Lake Michigan Dr. NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504

The Siciliano's homebrew contest is a prime opportunity for beginner and seasoned homebrewers alike to receive constructive feedback on their efforts. All entries will be judged impartially by industry professionals and/or trained judges according to the standards of style and not in comparison to one another (with the exception of Best in Show). As in previous years, the winner of Best in Show will have the opportunity to brew his/her winning recipe at a local brewery (to be named later).

Finally, what's a contest without a party? The 9th Annual Siciliano's Market Hombrew Party and Awards Banquet is scheduled for Saturday, May 5th, 2012 at Johnson Park in Walker, MI. Be sure to keep a close eye on The Buzz for additional party and seminar* details. Happy brewing everyone, and good luck!

*This year's homebrew seminar is scheduled for Friday, May 4th. A full list of seminar topics and speakers will be announced in the near future, as will details regarding seminar fees, time, and location.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

FYI - The party is a VERY good time! Hang out, eat good food, chat with other homebrewers and most importantly, DRINK OTHERS' HOMEBREW!

I have not seen the Friday night Seminar agenda yet, but that is also a good time. Beginning to advanced brewers can learn more about different topics, or even just hang out and find out about other hobbies like breadmaking, beekeeping, etc. (To name a couple of topics covered in previous years.)

Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
mtnbikerbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
FYI - The party is a VERY good time! Hang out, eat good food, chat with other homebrewers and most importantly, DRINK OTHERS' HOMEBREW!

I have not seen the Friday night Seminar agenda yet, but that is also a good time. Beginning to advanced brewers can learn more about different topics, or even just hang out and find out about other hobbies like breadmaking, beekeeping, etc. (To name a couple of topics covered in previous years.)
The Friday night seminar lineup is still being finalized, but from what it looks like right now, it's going to one of our best yet. Once it is finalized, I will post it up here.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
mtnbikerbrewer
Recipes 

Default Best of Show Prize Announced

Information can be found in this blog post, but basically the homebrew contest winner is going to Sierra Nevada Beer Camp.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikerbrewer View Post
Information can be found in this blog post, but basically the homebrew contest winner is going to Sierra Nevada Beer Camp.
Oh holy sht!

God I wish I had an awesome beer to submit now! My English Mild is a bit too hoppy, and I doubt a BL Golden Wheat clone is not going to win anything...

Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As soon as I heard about Beer Camp being the grand prize, I rushed up to Siciliano's to submit the only really good beer I had on hand that was ready - my California Common that took bronze at the W.E.B. competition. It's a solid beer, but I wish I had something a little more distinctive to submit - judging by the first few lines of the competition announcement, this may be one of those comps where it takes an "extreme" beer to take the top prize. Hopefully that's not the case.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So I did some looking around on the 'ol interwebs, and I can't seem to find any info on how much beer camp costs - even on the Sierra Nevada site. Just a bunch of stuff about some sort of video competition to win a spot. Is this something that you can only go to by winning a contest, or can you sign up and pay to go? I'm curious because if I am lucky enough to win, I know the wife is going to want to come also. She helps with all my brews, and no way is she going to let me have all the glory if we are the lucky winners.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
mtnbikerbrewer
Recipes 

As far as I know, beer camp is not something you can just buy yourself into. You have to win some sort of contest to get an invite. I'll have to double check, but I think unfortunately if a beer wins with two peoples name on it then those people will have to decide which one goes to beer camp and who stays home (or in Chico but not at Beer Camp).

Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Hope the judging went well this weekend. Patiently awaiting the results... Hopefully I don't have to wait until the 5th ;D

Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

FYI I sat in on the judging and I think it went very well. IIRC every year the results are given at the party. I don't think I remember any results given in advance.

I'd like to thank Brewery Vivant for opening the brewery up to the judges and stewards for the judging. I like what they are doing over there and the complementary food and drink were great!

Quick Reply