Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > Mackinac Island vacation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
weisj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mackinac Island vacation

Starting this Sunday, my family (wife and 8 year old daughter) will be leaving for a week-long vacation on Mackinac Island / St. Ignace, with stops at Manistique, Seney Nat'l Wildlife Refuge, and Tahquamemon Falls State Park along the way.

We'll be coming from the Appleton/Green Bay (WI) area, so we're a little spoiled as far as brewpubs go, with Titletown, Hinterland and Stone Cellar all within easy range. Are there any good breweries or brewpubs in the UP to check out along the way? Is the brewpub near Tahquamenon any good? Any suggestions from fellow HBT-ers would be appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I have not been to the UP breweries... But it looks like pretty slim pickings for you that are not out of the way... http://www.michiganbeerguide.com/?page=directory

Old 07-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I've never been to the one at Tahquamemon, but I've heard mixed reviews (mostly poor). There is a brewpub in Marquette, and one in Escanaba, but that's about it.

There is nothing on M28 or US 2 much at all, let alone brewpubs. I haven't been to Mackinaw City in a while, but there wasn't anything in that area either the last time I was there.

The one in Grand Marais is ok. It has great whitefish, and the beer is ok.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
bwints
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Soo Brewing Company is probably the closest. Very small brewpub. Beer is ok but it's hit or miss for what's on tap. No food but they let u bring local food in. Oh and kid friendly.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
weisj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks Yooper - I was hoping that you would have some insight. It sounds like pretty slim pickings... I guess I might just have to pack some of my own and try to make it through the week.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
mors
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Well the brew pubs may be slim pickings but I would imagine you could pick up bottles of Short's and other Michigan beers somewhere along the way.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by mors View Post
Well the brew pubs may be slim pickings but I would imagine you could pick up bottles of Short's and other Michigan beers somewhere along the way.
There is a store in Escanaba that carries Shorts and other Michigan beers. There are a couple of stores in Marquette that carry a small but ok selection.

The one in Escanaba is a little grocery store, and I can find the name somewhere in my memory banks if the OP is interested. Otherwise, there isn't too much for package stores or availability as the towns are very very small and the stores carry little (or no) craft beers.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
bwints
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not sure about stores selling craft beer around St. Ignace but an hour drive north to Sault Ste Marie there is the brew pub Soo Brewing Company as I said before. It's nothing special but all we have up here. Also Soo Corner Store ( not very original with names up here lol) they have all the Michigan brews, Founders, Shorts, Bells, New Holland with many others. I'm from Sault Ste Marie Ontario and make trips across the border to hit those two stops frequently. Plus it's a nice little town with lots of touristy stuff around. Might be worth looking into.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

You do know that next week is race week? The Island is going to be nuts beginning sunday when the first ones start arriving, and get progressively crazier each day, probably hitting it's peak on Tuesday or Wednesday depending on if it's a fast race or not.

I referee vintage base ball tournaments on the Island at the grand hotel....there is actually a store on the Island that sells Michigan Craft beers, and you can iirc do mixed sixers. It's the Michigan Peddler at Main Street Center. It's a little pricy though.

If you're staying in St. Ignace, Doud's Market also has an OK beer selection of Michigan Beers. 699 W. US-2 St. Ignace, MI 49781

The Doud's on the Island itself might have some too, but I can't recall. I stay in St. Ignace, and bought my beer at Doud's.

Most of the bars in St Ignace has some form of Michgan Beer either on tap or in bottles....I found Bell's in a couple places, but most of the joints had 1 or 2 from Cheboygan Brewing Company or IIRC Saugatuck out of Douglas.

There's not a heck of a lot up there, but it's not a vast wasteland of BMC either. You WILL find stuff...but brew pubs, no...Michigan Beer even in the crappiest of places? Yes.

If you're looking for food and are hitting St Ignace at all, be sure to hit up the establishments owned by Joe Durm a local institution there's three places, and they are all funky and the food is good.

My favorite, and where I ate breakfast all the time when I was up there last summer was Java Joe's Cafe Some of the best breakfasts I've ever eaten....

He also has a really good Mexican Place Cantina Joe's , really good food, really good margaritas and Cheboygan beer on tap.

He used to have a hot dog stand that served all regional style of hotdogs, but it looks like this year he opened a health food restaraunt out of it instead called the Garden

You can't miss his places, they are all brightly colored.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

weisj Likes This 
Old 07-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Oh yeah, the Pink Pony has some decent beers. They even have a house ale brewed by Bell's I think.... But it will be guaranteed to be packed from Saturday night on (It will be mostly journalists who drive up on Saturday to beat the boats)...But come Sunday on it's party central for the boat crews coming in from Port Huron...it's going to be a madhouse. Think something out of Hunter S Thompson. Keep your daughters on a short leash if you can.

Beer list pdf Pink Pony

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply