The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > The Livery- Benton Harbor, MI

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
jmiracle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default The Livery- Benton Harbor, MI

http://www.liverybrew.com/

This brewpub, situated in the scenic "abandoned buildings and decrepit warehouses" part of downtown Benton Harbor, is really starting to be one of my favorite places. They have a GREAT pub stout, they always have three real ales on tap in antique beer engines, and the brewer is known for creating big, complex bocks. Tomorrow night I'm taking the plunge and trying the Bourbon-Barrel Aged Trippel Weizenbock (aged 11 months in the barrel, 11.75% alcohol). They also make a really tasty Czech Pilsner that I wish they'd offer more often, right now they've always got their german pils out which is good but I prefer the other. I'm not really an IPA fan (yet) but they always have two on tap, one regular and one Imperial. I'm excited for Lent season because they'll get out the Liverator (they're Doppelbock). They also have a good hefe and pale ale pretty much always available.

They also have good food, pretzels, a good beer soup, etc. They get bands sometimes, not usually my thing (they like to bring in the hippie jam bands) but you can always still drink downstairs without buying tickets. They have poetry and music open mics and they even have a yoga class on Saturday morning that me and my wife are gonna start taking.

If you're around the area, give it a try. And don't be scurred, the real dangerous parts of BH are actually pretty far from there.
Bottled & carbing: Nothin
drinking: Poet on Payday Wee Heavy
gone but not forgotten: Wilford (Oatmeal Stout) Samhain Surprise Porter, J's Mirac-Ale (Brown Ale), Altered Beast Ale (German Alt), Chucks Not Ballys Cali Common, S'Wheat (Honey Weizen), NIHs (Numerous Identical Hefes), Wittler Farms Maple Brown, Failed Experimental Yarrow Beer, O'Mega Red (Irish Red)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
e lo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've never been to Benton Harbor, but I did have a couple of beers from The Livery at the Michigan Beer Fest in Ypsi last summer. I can't recall exactly what I had from there, but I remember really enjoying it. I think I had the Liverator, but...

Old 01-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Great to know, I'll be spending the coming summer there (ok, well, in Bridgeman), and I've been trying to locate some good hangouts.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
RandalG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm going to New Buffalo next weekend with some friends and just stumbled upon this place while checking out the beers at the hotel we will be staying at.So now it's on the itinerary for next Saturday afternoon. Sounds pretty good from their website.

Quick Reply