Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > Last Call- Any interest in a UP brewday?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #131
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
HAPPY BREWDAY! Weather channel says sunny and 80! See ya in a few hours.
I am in town now, so call me if there is anything you think I might have forgotten!

I'll see you all in a few hours.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #132
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Well, everyone seemed to survive the brewday. I forgot to take pictures, but Bob took a few.
dscf3029.jpg

dscf3022.jpg

dscf3024.jpg

dscf3035.jpg

dscf3028.jpg

Not particularly flattering photos, but you can see how it was set up. I didn't even think about taking pictures of the campfire, the pontoon boat rides, the games, etc.

We had HenryHill and Swmbo, Xiang and Swmbo, lschiavo, odawg and friend, Homercidal and Swmbo and kids, various neighbors of mine who wandered in, and Bob, my daughter and I.

Xiang and lschiavo did the work of brewing, while I managed to drink, talk, and enjoy myself.

The food was great! We had bacon wrapped grilled shrimp, stuffed pork loin (Homercidal), porketta sandwiches (lschiavo), an awesome dip (Mrs. Homer), bacon wrapped water chestnuts (Mrs. HenryHill), deepfried bluegills and crappies (mr. Yooper), cornbread, and cole slaw. We started eating around 1PM, and finished up with S'mores around 1 AM, I believe. I might have eaten more than I drank. Well, no, probably not!

Funny thing- a few people brought beer to share. The kegerator only held IPAs! Homer brought a few bottles, and O'dawg did too, so there was some variety. My neighbors probably thought all those hoppy beers were awful, though!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #133
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 793 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 547

It was a great time! Looking forward to the 2nd annual. I have a few pics I will post when I get to a real computer. Thanks to all for the great food, beer and company.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #134
xiang
Recipes 

Had a blast at the brew day. There was a ton of great food and beer passed around. Loved having three IPA's on tap. We all looked a bit rough in the morning, which explains why there wasn't much beer left in any of the kegs .

I managed to take a couple of pics.

We were shooting for 1.060, but hit 1.070 on our 15gal batch. We eventually figured out that we boiled off 3/4gal more wort then we had planned. I guess that happens when your boiling away for 30+ minutes before you realize that the 60min additions never got added, oops!!!!!

And lastly my favorite pic. Yooper at the helm right before she pulls off her patented "Submarine Dive" with the pontoon boat.

Another highlight of the trip was stopping off at Culver's in Escanaba for lunch and running into Alice Cooper as we were leaving!!!!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #135
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiang View Post

And lastly my favorite pic. Yooper at the helm right before she pulls off her patented "Submarine Dive" with the pontoon boat.
I love the picture of my dog!

And STOP with the submarine dive comments. Bob is gonna take my boat away.

It was funny, though- after you guys left, we went down to the boat to check everything out. His only comment? "Wow- it must have rained last night. The entire decking on the boat is soaked. Or, maybe it really did go underwater", complete with a stern look. I just shrugged.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #136
BraveSirRobin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry I didn't make it out there. My counciling thing went a little late, then when we got out storms were rolling in down here so the SWMBO made the executive decision that she didn't want to head out there. It looks like the weather held up over that way though and that you guys had a great time!

Old 07-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #137
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveSirRobin View Post
Sorry I didn't make it out there. My counciling thing went a little late, then when we got out storms were rolling in down here so the SWMBO made the executive decision that she didn't want to head out there. It looks like the weather held up over that way though and that you guys had a great time!
Yep, no storm/rain at all. We had great weather. I did hear that there was a storm about 25 miles south of us, and it did cloud up for a few minutes. But it cleared off and stayed nice. We sat out by the fire until about 1 AM (?) before staggering off to bed. We missed you!

Old 07-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #138
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2429 Times on 1716 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

I'm back, baby! But I have to run a machine out back all day because our customer threw out an old mold and now we suddenly have to build a prototype mold to cover their @ss and I get to run it since I'm so eager to help!!

Anyway, had a great time and I hope to post a few pics of my own later.

CYA!

EDIT: That's See Ya! NOT Cover Your @ss!

Old 07-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #139
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I'm back, baby! But I have to run a machine out back all day because our customer threw out an old mold and now we suddenly have to build a prototype mold to cover their @ss and I get to run it since I'm so eager to help!!

Anyway, had a great time and I hope to post a few pics of my own later.

CYA!

EDIT: That's See Ya! NOT Cover Your @ss!
I'm glad you made it home safe! It was so great meeting your family. I think you're the only one who didn't make it on the boat at one time or another, so you'll have to come back sometime for a personal boat ride/tour of the lake.

It was wonderful having you guys stay at the cottage.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #140
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2429 Times on 1716 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I'm glad you made it home safe! It was so great meeting your family. I think you're the only one who didn't make it on the boat at one time or another, so you'll have to come back sometime for a personal boat ride/tour of the lake.

It was wonderful having you guys stay at the cottage.
The beer was flowing pretty freely, so I'll forgive you for forgetting that I was actually on board during the near sinking incident. And the discussion of the spawning beds and crazy weather that has confused the fish.

But yeah, we really need to do this again sometime. I plan on hosting at some point, but I don't really have anything interesting to do at my place. Well, I have horseshoes... But I think ladderball is probably safer for people who have been drinking!

On a side note: We had a great time up there at MTU. Stopped at Bond Falls on the way up and WOW! That is a very cool waterfall! I wish I had felt better! (thanks, beer...) Got some (hopefully) nice pictures, but I would have enjoyed playing in the falls.

on the way home stopped by Canyon Falls and that was awesome as well! Completely different type of falls, but that gorge is GORGEous! (pun intended)

Kim is having fun. The dorm is hot but she has a couple of fans. I caught my wife staring at her phone last night as we drove home. I asked her if she was waiting for Kim to call her. This week long camp is like a little slice of goign away to college for her and it's hard. I think it's a good practice run for both Kim and mom.

Now mom is worried that Kim will like MTU and not want to go to nearby Ferris. She's even texted back that she "Loves it up here!" Of course, she hasn't been up there in the winter yet...

Lastly, before I head back to run some more parts:

Thanks to Yooperbrew and Mr. Yooper for their very generous hospitality! We all had a great time and even though there were 3 veyr similar IPAs on tap, I didn't hear anyone complaining. HenryHill brought some MBC IPAs and I forgot how much I liked that beer! And I'm certainly going to be trying to make some of those bacon-wrapped water chestnuts, and the Porketta!

Crap. Gotta go back to work.

Quick Reply