New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > Hopcat in Grand Rapids, MI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Default Hopcat in Grand Rapids, MI

Went to Plainwell last weekend to pick up my Mustang body shell. Was planning on stopping into Founders for a sandwich and a beer, but there was this huge Founders Fest party where they blocked off a whole street and had bands and all that, which would have been nice if we had planned on it, but at $15 just to get in, I was not having it.

So, we walked a few blocks to Hopcat and had a look. Nice place! HUGE selection of Michigan, US, and even some World beers. They now brew their own.

I tried the Kolsch, which was not great. Some kind of funny off-flavor. Then I ordered the Killer Mac 'N Cheese with Chorizo and Herbed Tomatoes. Then a glass of DIPA from some brewery I did not know (or remember).

The waiter got a manager to let us check out the brewery, which is extremely tiny. I think it is about the same size as my office at work! I told him I had the Kolsch, and he said it didn't turn out right. He was not the brewer, so I couldn't ask too technical of questions, but I imagine they are still working out the equipment and techniques.

The food was very good and the atmosphere was pretty standard pub/bar. I liked the huge selection of beer, even beer from breweries in the same town.

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
xiang
Recipes 

I'm on their mailing list, but have yet to get out there. I hope These Guys get the rest of the capital they need to open.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Wow! This guy is going to do well in Muskegon. He already has the ability and now just has to market the new place.

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
RedIrocZ-28
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Whatever you do, do not get teh Scotty Karate at Hopcat. I could not stand it. Its the only beer I have ever had that I did not like. Otherwise, hopcat is one of the better bars in GR.

#666!

Last edited by RedIrocZ-28; 07-20-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Mark of the beast

Old 07-25-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
Sanveann
Recipes 

We'll have to check out the Hopcat!

DH will be thrilled to hear about a potential brewery in Muskegon ... that's his hometown.

Quick Reply