Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > Homebrew on the WEB 2012

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #31
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,804
Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Default

Looks like Phil only took three this time? I can't wait til I get back in a good brewing schedule to have stuff ready for contests again. With the surgery last year and not a lot of brewing initially, I haven't had stuff ready in time. Or had anything on hand.

One of the judges had a bottle of my Kentucky Common he wanted me to enter, but I didn't think I had another 12 ouncer still. Turned out I found one, but it was too late. But he took the other one up to a pre-judges meeting a couple weeks back and shared it around and I guess folks were raving about it.

I'll have to make sure to enter it next year.

__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #32
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,804
Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Default

Since most of us don't use our "real" names on here, which of you are you among the winners?

Quote:

BOS Winners

Beer

Sam Firke - Ann Arbors Brewers Guild
17B - Flanders Red - "Dregs of Society"
Mead/Cider
Anthony Kilimas - Kuhnhenn Guild of Brewers
27A - Common Cider - "Sweet Cider"


BJCP Style Name Club Placed # of entries
01-E Brad Kamphuis The Brewing Network 1
01-C Joseph Frankiewicz N/A 2 entries
01-B Phil Sullivan Underground Brewers 3

02-C Joseph Frankiewicz N/A 1
02-C David Curtis KLOB 2 entries
02-B Ben Ruppel N/A 3

03-B Larry Reuter SAAZ 1
03-B Jeff and Susan Rankert Ann Arbor Brewers Guild 2 entries
03-A Larry Reuter SAAZ 3

04-B Nathan Baker HOPS! 1
04-A Joseph Burgel and Mike Zukowski CRAFT 2 entries
04-B Matthew Smylie KGB 3

05-C Brian LaGoe Ann Arbor Brewers Guild 1
05-A Dave Stahl MASH 2 entries
05-C Jim Satin Ann Arbor Brewers Guild 3

06-C Michael Malinowski SAAZ 1
06-C Phil Sullivan Underground Brewers 2 entries
06-D Brian LaGoe Ann Arbor Brewers Guild 3

07-A Jeff Russell and Rob Walker CRHBC 1
07-B Bill Zimmerman and Jesse Rowell N/A 2 entries
07-B Adam and Britani Wisniewski N/A 3

08-B Chad Vanderpool MALTZ 1
08-B Aaron Potter N/A 2 entries
08-B Jeff Russell CRHBC 3

09-E Joel Kamp Muskegon Ottawa Brewers 1
09-E Kevin Rayl Motor City Mashers 2 entries
09-E Stephen Bender N/A 3

10-B Rick Marek Brew Gadgeteers 1
10-A Matt Therrien TC-Hopz 2 entries
10-C Kyle Alberda MASH 3

11-A Mike Carr CRHBC 1
11-C Carl Zeuner CRAFT 2 entries
11-C Todd Hale N/A 3

12-C Rachael Holland Primetime Brewers 1
12-B Anthony Terry LAB 2 entries
12-B John Lofquist N/A 3

13-E Brad Hopkins SODZ 1
13-D Pat Hyde and Satan CRHBC 2 entries
13-B Joe Merriman Red Ledge Homebrewers 3

14-C Mike Kirk LAB 1
14-A Chris Breimayer and Seth Rivard Primetime Brewers 2 entries
14-B Blake Key TC-Hopz 3

The judges did not award a first place medal for this category 1
15-A Pat Hogan and Barb Bauer CRHBC 2 entries
15-A Keith McFarland and Dave Bertolotti SAAZ 3

16-A Konrad Schlenner CRAFT 1
16-E Pat Hogan and Barb Bauer CRHBC 2 entries
16-C Chris Carr Muskegon Ottawa Brewers 3

17-B Sam Firke Ann Arbor Brewers Guild 1
17-B Christopher Frey and various members of the FORD club FORD 2 entries
17-A Adam and Britani Wisniewski N/A 3

18-E Kevin Paul CRAFT 1
18-C Mike Yingling SAAZ 2 entries
18-A Stephen Bender N/A 3

19-C Greg and Mike Muller CRAFT 1
19-A Jim Satin Ann Arbor Brewers Guild 2 entries
19-B Kevin Paul CRAFT 3

20-A David Worth SAAZ 1
20-A Daniel Fick CRAFT 2 entries
20-A Greg Fowler N/A 3

21-A Daniel Fick CRAFT 1
21- Patrick and Chris Cain SNOBS 2 entries
21-A Brian LaGoe and Steve Porter Ann Arbor Brewers Guild 3

22-A Nathan Baker HOPS! 1
22-C Phil Sullivan Underground Brewers 2 entries
22-C Bob and Kim Barrett Ann Arbor Brewers Guild 3

23-A Ray Leenhouts and Glenn Hallett Dead End Brewers 1
23-A Mike Yingling SAAZ 2 entries
23-A Joel Kamp Muskegon Ottawa Brewers 3

24-C Ken Schmidt CRAFT 1
24-C David Kelley KGB 2 entries
24-B Ron Bridges KGB 3

25-B Judith Hurt KGB 1
25-C Michael Spears KGB 2 entries
25-C Michael Spears KGB 3

26-A Denise Kruczyk and Pam Stapleton CRAFT 1
26-A Joseph Vrabel and Nathan Rinke Underground Brewers 2 entries
26-A Donald Hanke KGB 3

27-A Anthony Kilimas KGB 1
27-A Robert Vrabel KGB 2 entries
27-A Donald Hanke KGB 3

28-D Dave Clark SNOBS 1
28-D George Gorospe KGB 2 entries
28-C EDwight Paslean N/A 3
__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #33
mlyday
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 915
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Default

I did notice that almost all the winners were members of clubs. So either good brewers join clubs, or joining a club makes you a better brewer.

mlyday is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #34
boostsr20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 807
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWiz View Post
Looks like I scored two Bronze medals, not bad!! One for my California Common and one for a Berliner Weisse. I can't seem to break the bronze barrier, I now have 3 bronzes but have never recieved a silver or gold. I'll just have to keep trying.
Thats me with the 16c Saison.

John palmer Judged the mini BOS for sours, I'm anxious to see if any of mine made it that far. What was your process for the berlinner? Sour Mash?
__________________
boostsr20 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #35
AdamWiz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 356
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Looks like Phil only took three this time?
I noticed that too - I'm used to seeing Phil's name at least 7 or 8 times on every winners list. Considering that he usually enters a TON of beers, he must have not had a very good day at the judging. Maybe he toned down his number of entries, or maybe he got cocky ( I noticed a couple months back that in the article about him winning "Midwest Homebrewer of the Year", he talks about "dominating" Michigan competitions in the coming year). After sitting at the Michigan Beer Cup awards ceremony over the summer and listening to his name called over and over, I must admit that now one of my goals in every comp. is to beat him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
One of the judges had a bottle of my Kentucky Common he wanted me to enter, but I didn't think I had another 12 ouncer still. Turned out I found one, but it was too late. But he took the other one up to a pre-judges meeting a couple weeks back and shared it around and I guess folks were raving about it.

I'll have to make sure to enter it next year.
I don't think I'll be entering my Kentucky Common in any more competitions. Judges just don't seem to "get" it. Despite being one of my best beers IMO, it always scored terribly. Judges say things like " a little thin on the body" - What do you expect? It is a low gravity sour mash beer after all. Plus, since it goes into cat. 23, it goes up against a bunch of high gravity monsters - not really a fair comparison. Maybe there should be another sour category for beers that don't fit one of the current sour categories, call it "other sour beer".
__________________
AdamWiz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #36
AdamWiz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 356
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Since most of us don't use our "real" names on here, which of you are you among the winners?
That's me and the wife with the bronzes in categories 7 and 17. See where "AdamWiz" comes from now? Until people know what my last name is, they probably see my nickname and assume I pee myself a lot or something.
__________________
AdamWiz is offline
Revvy Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #37
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,804
Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWiz View Post
I don't think I'll be entering my Kentucky Common in any more competitions. Judges just don't seem to "get" it. Despite being one of my best beers IMO, it always scored terribly. Judges say things like " a little thin on the body" - What do you expect? It is a low gravity sour mash beer after all. Plus, since it goes into cat. 23, it goes up against a bunch of high gravity monsters - not really a fair comparison. Maybe there should be another sour category for beers that don't fit one of the current sour categories, call it "other sour beer".
Well, some research tends to lean toward the idea that not all Kentucky Commons were sour, or meant to be. There's quite a lot of discussions including those between O'Daniel and myself that our research tends to believe that sour versions were more than likely due to poor brewing practices than intentional souring. In fact the "Handy Book of Brewing and Malting trades" where the KC was first mentions it, only describes it as being sour in one edition, the other time it appeared, no mention of it being soured was in evidence. Which leads us to believe that a KC is more like a California Common, in that it is not sour, and more of just a dark cream ale.

But were you the one that entered a KC in another contest recently in category 23 and asked that it be judge only in terms of the historical descriptors and documentation for the style?
__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #38
AdamWiz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 356
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyday View Post
I did notice that almost all the winners were members of clubs. So either good brewers join clubs, or joining a club makes you a better brewer.
I think it's just that club members tend to enter more competitions and enter more beers in each competition than a lot of folks. Plus, people in clubs have a lot more chances to get experienced feedback on their beers. And regularly being around other good brewers pushes people to improve, I'm sure. Myself, I don't need any extra motivation - I'm obsessed enough as it is. And my wife always takes pride in us being amongst the only winners not affiliated with a club. Like being in a club somehow makes it not as big an accomplishment or something.
__________________
AdamWiz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #39
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,804
Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWiz View Post
I think it's just that club members tend to enter more competitions and enter more beers in each competition than a lot of folks. Plus, people in clubs have a lot more chances to get experienced feedback on their beers. And regularly being around other good brewers pushes people to improve, I'm sure. Myself, I don't need any extra motivation - I'm obsessed enough as it is. And my wife always takes pride in us being amongst the only winners not affiliated with a club. Like being in a club somehow makes it not as big an accomplishment or something.
I always list the Homebrewtalk Michigan mashers as my "club" when I enter, just like those brewstrong guys. We're a club for all intents and purposes. Many of us get together as a group and brew representing HBT at Cap N Cork for the twice yearly brew events.
__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #40
AdamWiz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 356
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Well, some research tends to lean toward the idea that not all Kentucky Commons were sour, or meant to be. There's quite a lot of discussions including those between O'Daniel and myself that our research tends to believe that sour versions were more than likely due to poor brewing practices than intentional souring. In fact the "Handy Book of Brewing and Malting trades" where the KC was first mentions it, only describes it as being sour in one edition, the other time it appeared, no mention of it being soured was in evidence. Which leads us to believe that a KC is more like a California Common, in that it is not sour, and more of just a dark cream ale.
I did a lot of research on it, and I agree that most likely it was not initialy intended to be sour-just ended up that way a lot because of primitive brewing and storage methods. However, the idea of a little twang was what intrigued me about the style to begin with. So I went with a 20% sour mash for 24 hours, and I loved the beer. You wouldn't even necessarily call it "sour", it just has a little edge to it. I have considered brewing a "clean" version, but never have since I like mine so much. So you brew yours clean with no sourness? How is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
But were you the one that entered a KC in another contest recently in category 23 and asked that it be judge only in terms of the historical descriptors and documentation for the style?
Nope, not me. Sounds like a good request, though.
__________________
AdamWiz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HBT 2012 Competition - assistance needed ohiobrewtus Brewing Events & Local Gatherings 10 03-25-2012 01:24 PM
Feb 25 2012 Boston Homebrew Competition hoss75 Massachusetts HomeBrew Forum 0 01-26-2012 02:49 PM
Anyone entering the 2012 Boneyard Brew-Off? Reno_eNVy Illinois HomeBrew Forum 53 01-22-2012 10:37 PM
Deland Craft Beer Festival 2012, Homebrew Competition frogguruami Florida HomeBrew Forum 0 10-20-2011 02:38 AM