Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > Homebrew on the WEB 2012

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #21
mlyday
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

I agree on posting the winners first, but as far as the scoring sheets go there was over 1000 entries and the sheets are scaned and then emailed, so I can see why it might take a while.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #22
fishkid
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No doubt about it that the scanning is a lot of work. Actually, this is one of the fastest turn around times in all of the competitions I've entered.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #23
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrowell15 View Post
I hear where u r coming from, have 8 beers entered myself. But please don't knock all these hardworking volunteers. They r doing there best.
I didn't mean to knock anyone or suggest anyone is slacking, sorry if it seemed that way. I'm just really itching to find out. I understand that it takes some time to enter all the individual score sheets into a computer. I understand having to wait for even as long as a couple weeks to get those - so it is impressive that they are already getting score sheets out this quick. But since they've already had the awards ceremony, seems like it would be pretty quick to post a list of winners online for people to see. I would think they would do that before getting individual sheets out.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #24
jdrowell15
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess part of my point was that they still would just be using the written score sheets for the awards. So just because they announced all the awards doesn't mean they are entered into a computer and prepared to easily post onto the web. Most likely not, considering the awards where immediately after the judging.
That being said, I can't imagine it would take more than a couple hrs to do that. But maybe they decided its best to concentrate on individual results instead. Who knows, all we can do is wait and wonder.........LOL........

Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #25
fishkid
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Results are up,
http://crhbc.com/pages/competition/2...on-results.php

Old 03-06-2012, 04:26 AM   #26
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Looks like I scored two Bronze medals, not bad!! One for my California Common and one for a Berliner Weisse. I can't seem to break the bronze barrier, I now have 3 bronzes but have never recieved a silver or gold. I'll just have to keep trying.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #27
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1942 Times on 1404 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Way to go Rachael in the 12-C category!

Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #28
mlyday
Recipes 

My wife was really happy for me for my 40, but realized it only added fuel to the fire. I pulled a pint of my beer off the keg last night and drank it while reading the feedback. Its really quite helpful.

Now if they would just post the honorable mentions, then I can see how far out of the medals I was.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #29
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyday View Post
My wife was really happy for me for my 40, but realized it only added fuel to the fire. I pulled a pint of my beer off the keg last night and drank it while reading the feedback. Its really quite helpful.
It sure does add fuel to the fire. As much as I used to say I didn't care about competitions, once you start entering them you're pretty much hooked. You just don't get that quality of feedback from your friends, who are just grateful for free beer and/or just not that knowledgable about different styles. And then when you get an encouraging score like your 40 (very impressive for a first all-grain and first competition), it really drives you to make it even better. The hard part is once you win a medal, anytime after that where you don't place kind of becomes a dissapointment, even though the feedback really is the important part. You start to assume you will place in every comp., and you can get humbled really quick. Congrats - who would have thought brewing can get even more addictive than it already was, right?

Old 03-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #30
mlyday
Recipes 

My main reason for entering the competition was to get some non-biased feedback from someone other that my family and friends. I think sometimes I tend to be overly critical of my own beers and smell or taste flaws that are not really there or not as bad as they seem.

I really liked the beer I entrered, and thought it was good, but that doesnt always mean anything. I had a pale ale that I thought turned out even better than the vienna lager I entered, but the bottles didnt carb up right, and the rest of the batch was kegged and disapeared to that one didnt get entered.

Quick Reply