Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > Homebrew on the WEB 2012

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
mlyday
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Just got my judging sheets back. This was my first all-grain batch and first competition.

My vienna lager got 42 from one judge and 38 from the other. So a 40 total.

Sadly thats not enough to place, but I got great feedback.

Ill try to post the sheets later.

Im looking forward to them posting the final results, it would be nice to know where I ranked in relation to others.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
mlyday
Recipes 

The email said they had alot of entries, and were going to try and get all the sheets mail out by thursday.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
BrewCraft
Recipes 

I got my sheets emailed to me back last night.

My Citra Pale Ale scored a 36 and a 33, so a 34.5 overall. I'm happy with it considering it's only my 3rd batch ever and the first time I've sent something into a competition.

For those still waiting, the email included this:
Thanks for entering our competition - our event would not be what it is without participation from people like yourself. Attatched are your scoresheets. If you know anybody else that entered let them know our goal is to have all the sheets emailed by thursday.

Sounds like they're working on getting everything sent out this week.

Last edited by BrewCraft; 03-05-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
kpot2004
Recipes 

Got mine emailed to me this morning as well, my Sierra Nevada pale ale clone scored 34 and 30, so 32 overall. Its nice getting some feedback from a certified judge instead of people just saying "its good". Weird that one judge thought the hop flavor "enjoyable" while the other thought it "odd and off putting"

Old 03-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
mlyday
Recipes 

I got some differing feedback on mine also.

One said "Tall dense quickly fading head" the other said "Nice head! good retention and color.

Im not sure how these things work, if both judges pour from the same bottle or not. I guess I could see them maybe getting different results from different bottles.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #16
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I still have gotten no word. If they are emailing them out, why would it take until Thursday? Plus, why don't they at least post a list of the winners first? They could have done that right away and then start sending out individual score sheets. Like I said, patience is not my strong suit.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #17
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyday View Post
I got some differing feedback on mine also.

One said "Tall dense quickly fading head" the other said "Nice head! good retention and color.

Im not sure how these things work, if both judges pour from the same bottle or not. I guess I could see them maybe getting different results from different bottles.
I'm also curious as to how they pour for the judgings, because head formation has a lot to do with the pour. No matter how good the carbonation is, if you pour quietly enough there is not going to be much head. Also, I wonder if they pour each bottle into a pitcher or something first and then pour to the taster glasses. I would think so, but I have seen a lot of photos of judgings where they seem to be pouring right from the bottle to a taster glass - but if the beer is bottle conditioned, wouldn't every glass after the first pour have more and more sediment in it and affect the clarity and taste?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
fishkid
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWiz View Post
I still have gotten no word. If they are emailing them out, why would it take until Thursday? - it's not like it takes a long time to send email. Plus, why don't they at least post a list of the winners first? They could have done that right away and then start sending out individual score sheets. Like I said, patience is not my strong suit.
No scores for me yet either. There was a post to their website earlier today,

"Results for 2012 Homebrew @ the W.E.B. Mar 05 2012, 11:25 AM

Results for the 2012 Homebrew @ the W.E.B. will be posted as soon as we can. I will be working on it this afternoon and will wrap it all up as quickly as I can thank you for your patience."

Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #19
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkid View Post
No scores for me yet either. There was a post to their website earlier today,

"Results for 2012 Homebrew @ the W.E.B. Mar 05 2012, 11:25 AM

Results for the 2012 Homebrew @ the W.E.B. will be posted as soon as we can. I will be working on it this afternoon and will wrap it all up as quickly as I can thank you for your patience."
I don't understand - if people are already getting their individual score sheets back, you'd think they could have taken 5 minuites and posted the winners list. I mean, they already had the awards ceremony - so post the list already!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #20
jdrowell15
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm pretty sure everything is handwritten. And when they do the awards ceremony they use the handwritten results. So EVERYTHING still needs to be entered or scanned into a computer.

I hear where u r coming from, have 8 beers entered myself. But please don't knock all these hardworking volunteers. They r doing there best.

And please don't take the above comments personal. Just trying to be helpful to all.

Quick Reply